New investor

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Stevo04, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Stevo04

Stevo04 New Member

I've been in work force 2yrs now a d the investing I've done has been in agriculture. Have a little silver and gold and ready to invest all I can in these metals. I can manage 2,000 a month which is 20% of monthly income. I'm investing to eventually sell and not for end of days. I do plan on keeping for eventual collapse of the dollar. My question is should I buy all silver, or swap between gold and silver. Any thoughts appreciated. Thnx

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Expect quite a few different answers.

From my point of view...

Silver has more chance of doubling to $60 than gold has of doubling to $3200.

Reserve Banks are buying gold, not silver.

Why limit yourself to just one? Buy gold when it is cheap relative to silver and silver when it is cheap compared to gold, you can use the Gold:Silver ratio to work out which is cheaper. How you decide on which is cheaper is of course still a bit of a guess. I am buying gold at the moment but that is just my opinion, not advice :)

Welcome!

3. Stevo04

Stevo04 New Member

Def prepared for the many insightful opinions. As of now I don't have a firm grasp on the market and on trends,predictions etc etc. Working on it and trying to become more knowledgable. Kind of worried about silver swings and been reading a lot about jp Morgan manipulation but don't have a firm grasp on it yet. My delay is should I buy gold for the next hr and buy 2oz a month I can do that. Would hate to buy just a lil if in a 18months it's 800$ more. Just trying to determine if I should buy gold for the time being and with silver swings I still may have a chance to buy at a good price.

4. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. Stevo04

Stevo04 New Member

Thnx. Pouring over old threads now

6. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think gold is a good buy right now, Silver will likely drop a little more regularly than gold as well so for my money gold now and silver on the dips.

7. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

it might initially go up/down main thing is to be patient and make decisions rationally; not oh it went down 10 % in last 2 weeks i better get out while i can. In the end diversify some gold some silver. PM are a hedge not really investment unless you buy rare coins so consider this as an insurance policy that will not fail when most other assets fail

8. Stevo04

Stevo04 New Member

This will be a long term thing, however at a certain gsr going to buy more gold. So as of now prepared to do an oz of gold (American eagle) and 1000 in silver. 10oz bars and 1oz coins. Will differentiate between bars/coins/ different weight when I get a stack going. Exit strategy is to sell off silver when gsr is good maybe 25 and invest in more gold. Going to invest all I can in pm for the next yr or 2. Then will diversify. Acceptable practice is of 10% of each investment? Or does age factor in. Am 27. Thnx for posts. Read a lot of threads tonight, a lot more Togo.

9. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

27 years old & on 10k a month!

Welcome to the joys of Gold & Silver.

Maybe get some platinum?

You have found a good place to be with the right mental attitude.

To be at your age with the savings bug is something to be proud of.

10. Stevo04

Stevo04 New Member

Trying to stash all I can. Dad is a farmer in southeastern USA and with bernanke doing what he does I see commodities as an only option. More acreage for farm land in future hopefully. Haven't done 0 research on platinum and eventually iwill. Got lucky with job. In my area first new nuclear reactor being built in America in 27 yrs. I'm in nuke construction so right place at right time. Would of loved to been saving when gold was 1200.

11. Stevo04

Stevo04 New Member

Also should I buy something like silverwheaton or keep it all physical. Also I've read u can put bullion in IRA's now. Has anyone taken the IRA road to another way to invest

12. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Silver or gold is a risk/return question. Silver is typically a higher risk investment, ie higher returns probably but higher chance of loss also. Gold is a less risky investment. Less chance of a higher return (compared to silver) but less chance of loss.

So it depends on your own appetite for risk and return. If you see your portfolio of silver dropping 25% in 3 months without sweating bullets and are of the belief it will do well in the long run, then you go for the silver.

But if you want to play it "safer" and want less of a chance of loss and conversely a lower chance of high returns, gold would be your go.

13. Stevo04

Stevo04 New Member

I'm more inclined of the higher risk of silver because of the greater return. At the same time I continue to see the bull for gold to continue for several more years and just unsure if I should buy some now because maybe later price to high. I'm unsure of trends and if or when gold prices will be low again to buy. I'm aware no o e knows that, on buying gold I need to study a good bit more

14. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Every one is different. Some guys go 100% silver some 100% gold. Personally I like to make sure I buy at least some gold because it's what the banksters hold and therefore if remonetisation happens, gold will be the pillar rather than silver. Silver for retirement and all that ;) We had a lovely debate about this a couple of weeks ago which started here and then moved to:

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-34055-gsr-the-fallacy-of-161.html

15. Stevo04

Stevo04 New Member

16. Stevo04

Stevo04 New Member

Every one is different. Some guys go 100% silver some 100% gold. Personally I like to make sure I buy at least some gold because it's what the banksters hold and therefore if remonetisation happens, gold will be the pillar rather than silver. Silver for retirement and all that ;) We had a lovely debate about this a couple of weeks ago which started here and then moved to:
    Thnx for the input. Last thing when buying gold, should u always invest in it regardless of price becuz of (remonetisation) and bcuz it will always be the pillar per say? Looking over thread thnx for all input. Glad I stumbled upon forum tonight. Got plenty of things to look over to form my thoughts and opinions. Thnx again

17. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

build core stack by buying regularly then later leave some cash aside for when gold drops a bit so you can get more oz for your fiat

18. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker