Damaged boxes

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by LesleyH, Dec 7, 2012.

1. LesleyH

LesleyH New Member

Good old Australia Post has damaged (crushed) some outer boxes when delivering them. They were on 3 x $25 gold Kangaroo at Sunset coins (2007, 2008 and 2010). How much of a deduction to the purchase price should be made to account for the damage? Does it mean less on these rarer coins than it would on coins with higher mintages?

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I would be asking the sender about the packing method, not Auspost

3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I must admit. The issue of packaging perplexes me. Why should a cheap cardboard box influence sale price? I have a 'Charles and Diana' in the cheap plastic folder and I've seen 'original packaging' as a sales point on feebay. Why a piece of hard and yellowing plastic adds to value is beyond me. Also makes it harder to store your coins.

I think it is a fengshui coin (sorry don't know the name - opposing fishes) that has beautiful packaging, but the Oz mint and PM packaging seems largely irrelevant. If I had my choice, I'd opt for a nice leather bound album but barring that, the shoebox will have to do.

Back to the original post. Agree it is likely a packaging issue by the seller

4. LesleyH

LesleyH New Member

Sadly I am the seller and I packaged them in Australia Post padded bags. This is what I have always done in the past and had no problems. I need to come to an agreement with the buyer but have no idea where to start the negotiations. Is a 10% price discount enough? I can't afford to lose too much as they were in perfect condition when they left me and the buyer didn't ask for insurance, just registered post.

5. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

FWIW I keep any bubble wrap / sturdy cardboard boxes that comes my way.

really useful for bombproofing against clumsy Aust Post employees, as those padded packages just dont do it.

Sorry to hear that you found that out the hard way :(

BTW was the inner box damaged, or just the outer ?

It really depends upon how collectable the item is, but I think 10% is a good start, or would it be better to repay the sender and they send it back.

6. Australian coin

Australian coin New Member

I have sold normal coin with good outer cardboard display box

And damaged outer cardboard display boxe with coin,

And people paid $10 - $15 less on the bay with the damaged outer box.

So packaging is important, I would guess it goes by the price they paid, you take into account the bullion price of the coin, if they paid bullion then they can't complain, but if they paid over release price then some sort of refund is the right thing to do.