Ebay and paypal

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by REDBACK, Nov 2, 2012.

1. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As a seller-Suggestions wanted-How not to get people to use paypal to pay for an ebay transaction.
    Cheers
    REDBACK

2. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

Try Free Postage if Bank Deposited!

3. TheBullionBoss

TheBullionBoss Member

hmm offer free postage if they pay direct to bank account...i gave with ebay...to many fees...final selling fee+paypal fee to recieve funds+paypal fee to transfer to bank account

4. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Make sure you get at least 10% over your bottom line price to account for fees on every sale. Otherwise ebay isnt worth it.

I dont hassle people about how I want to get paid. Their money, their choice I reckon. I would rather a happy customer use paypal for perceived protection than a worried one because I try to alter their preferred payment method.

I have had good repeat sales through ebay/paypal and usually cover all costs over my bottom line, but not always. However when you can arrange repeat sales without listing on ebay, even if they still use paypal you are much better off.

I have never had a chargeback paypal problem so my view may be rose coloured.

5. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

just put it in yr description that paypal is not accepted otherwise their bid will be canceled-with capital letters...more and more ebay members do that...yr item-yr rules:)

6. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Use gumtree

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Free shipping for bank deposit is one I've used before - gets about a 50% success rate.

8. camylopez

camylopez Member Silver Stacker

cant do that, against ebay rules, and if a buyer complains or reports it, ebay will pull your listing.

one option I have tried before, in the postage and payments section, specify a surcharge for paypal. For me, this has only half worked, as some buyers ignore it. Be aware, this is also against both ebay and paypal policy, however their policy regarding that is illegal, which i pointed out and they let me be. However, i do suspect that i get less bids.
    My favored method is not to list with paypal in the first place, no one notices until too late. True, the alternatives cost fees as well, but then ppl seem to prefer paying by bank transfer, rather than using their credit card. This gets me an 80% success rate. Also helps to email them and request bank transfer before they make payment.

9. REDBACK

Thanks all,its getting to be a thorn in my side.

I have tried stating in adds Cash on pick up only,but even then people have ignored this.

I have also tried no pay pal and please do not bid if you disagree,but then you get people wanting to impose their will on you and you are left with only 2 recourses
    a)Accept paypal payment
    b)Cancel their payment.
    Camy-You can list without paypal? Granted i haven't noticed that choice.
    I was under the assumption that one of the selected payment methods had to include Paypal?
    Free postage sounds totally acceptable,just trying to totally remove the paypal option.
    REDBACK

10. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't offer paypal only paymate

11. REDBACK

Is that an option on ebay
    From memory paymate is an alternative to paypal,but what are the advantages using paymate?
    And..holy sht Projack is back :D

REDBACK

12. camylopez

camylopez Member Silver Stacker

yes, so long as you use paymate, or a credit card merchant account.
    paymate is good, as you can have a pay as you go option, no subscription, however it is cheaper if you work out your volume and get a subscription applicable. using it as pay as you go, it works out 25 cents per transaction more than paypal. just note, you will not have viewing in a few countries, including the US.

13. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes it is an option and the advantage is you don't have to use paypal, you are dealing with an Australian company. Paymate also can be used for international sells and buyers don't even have to be registered.

14. REDBACK

Thanks Camy & Projack for that Pearler

Cheers

Enjoy the weekend

REDBACK

15. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

16. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Canalpan.....sounds like what you take a dump in. :)

17. some-guy

some-guy New Member Silver Stacker

I don't really understand everyone's frustration towards Ebay/PayPal fee's :)
    Sure they can be a bit greedy, but if its worked into your final selling price, I think it makes life a LOT easier.
    Instant payments, and seller/buyer protection can be very helpful (when it's not abused)
    Also if you work it out with the buyer, you can have payment sent to you as a 'Gift' with no PayPal fee's then just cancel the ebay transaction..as if nothing ever happened :) very handy on big dollar items, where ebay makes a $xx final sell fee :p

18. tiburon18savard

tiburon18savard New Member

After a transaction on ebay has been cancelled you can still award feedback between the two parties.

19. xX_Justin_Xx

xX_Justin_Xx New Member

I had a really bad experience with PayPal. I sold a $200 item on ebay, shipped it, the buyer said they never got the item. Long story short PayPal deducted the money from my account (should have had a tracking number, never should have agreed to sell to a Puerto Rico address). Since my account had a zero balance, it showed up as a negative account balance. I refused to pay and they closed my account and sent the "debt" to a collection agency. I contested the debt with the agency and won, keeping my credit squeaky clean. Moral of the story: Sooner or later PayPal is going to screw you. Don't think so? Google "paypal horror stories."

While the issue in this post is fees, another thing to take into consideration is what happens if PayPal freezes my cash? Indefinitely? What happens if a buyer opens a dispute and wins? I have not seen tax or accounting records for PayPal and your money is not FDIC insured. What happens if they file for bankruptcy?

My preferred method of transaction is a service called Moneybookers. It's a credit card processing service and the fees are cheap. Projack mentioned paymate and although I have not used it, I am sure it's a better choice than PayPal.

20. pinkmanwhite

pinkmanwhite Member

Yes, paymate.com is king for eBay sales.

Their fees are really good, SO much better than PayPal, and they are eBay certified. They provide all the same service as Paypal, but their fees have a GST component which you can get back if you are registered during your BAS refunds.
    AND they are Australian based, so the service is local. I am currently selling a few items using Paymate as the ONLY payment method, and haven't heard any complaints yet.