Gold sovereigns in a recession

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by shystacker, Nov 18, 2012.

1. shystacker

shystacker New Member

I've only recently joined this forum, but have been investing in gold and other areas for years.

I have come to learn that owning gold in a recession or economic time of struggle is a great asset.

The upcoming recession that is flowing in from America and Europe is bringing in some very unusual reports on my Google alerts.

Gold price is falling on fears of the recession? what happened to the hedge or safe haven that we have always known the yellow stuff to be?

I have a few gold sovereigns (25 to be exact) and am now starting to question the investment...

I have always known gold to do well in a recession or economic collapse, it goes up when the dollar is down.

Who else thinks something is off here?

Would be keen to read your opinions!

2. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

It almost seems as if you are confused about how these gold sovereigns are going to help you in a recession.

The dollar value assigned to them is secondary (I feel) to their utility, trade-ability and ability to maintain your purchasing power.

Does it matter that your gold sovereign is valued at $10 if it still buys you the same amount of 'stuff' it did when it was valued at todays price?

Conversely, have you gained anything if its worth $800 tomorrow but can only buy you the same amount of 'stuff' as before?

Then of course the use of a gold sovereign in trade/barter or any transaction with the general public would require a massive loss of confidence in the prevailing monetary system by the masses...

3. DavidHenry

DavidHenry New Member

Well, as per my experience I would like to say that yes we have to invest in Gold and silver in the recession but also have to remember that we don't have to put all the eggs in one basket that means we have to also invest in the real estate as the prices in this industry are much cheaper than before.

As far as Gold sovereigns are concerned then we have to buy the regional's sovereigns as they have their own importance and in future they will definitely earn us some bucks.

4. doomsday surprise

doomsday surprise Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You're not from around these parts are you. :p Maybe you should go to the real estate threads for a bit of fun.

5. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ressession bhahh! Precious Metals aren't for Recessions, they come and go without a fanfare. Recessions are where you can pick up cheap boats, cars and houses.

What you're talking about...what's coming out of the US and Europe... the episode that'll make PM's king, is a Depression. Not a little belt tightening and contraction, but a suicidal turbo-lax dose of reality for not just the financial sector, but society in general.

And yes, gold soverigns will be a corner stone of your assets.... if you can side-step the wars that will follow :(

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

When I read the title of this topic " Gold Sovereigns in a recession " - I thought for a moment that the Sovereigns themselves were in a recession when compared to other gold coins/bars.

7. BlackSheep

BlackSheep Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"Sovereignty" in a global depression could be another spin on the title - Likely to be in short supply soon :/

8. wwwww

wwwww Member

In recessions you get deflation, it's better to have cash. Gold protects you from inflation.

9. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

recession is what we are in now for most people anyway.

10. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And Cybermen ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ueq_U-yU7_4[/youtube]

11. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Best Doctor
    The Best version of the Cybermen
    One of the best episodes

12. doomsday surprise

doomsday surprise Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Damn I love the cybermen. Don't quite rival the daleks but because they are not featured as much, every cyberman episode is special. And the fact that gold kills them is, well, GOLD!!!!! :D

13. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Tom Baker FTW!

14. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

If only we could get the quality of Doctor Who back then, with the budget of today. Tom Baker by FAR is the best Doctor - though I am very partial to Tennant's doctor.

Imagine if you put both of them together - whoops, sorry - been done....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDj7gvc_dsA[/youtube]

I'm an enormous fan of that series of youtube poop. Spent nearly an hour watching them the other day - timeless! :D