Need help with shipping from UK

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Malachi Constant, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Malachi Constant

Malachi Constant New Member

A friend in the UK wants to send me some coins (to Australia), specifically a 1oz silver proof (boxed, etc from Royal Mint) and some old shillings. He was told at the post office in his town that currency, bullion and PMs (including jewelry) cannot be sent overseas by Royal Mail. Even as a gift. They even gave him a copy of the regulation that specified these restrictions.
    If this is the case, then it would appear that even sending a 10p coin to your Antipodean friends would be prohibited. He could, of course, ignore this advice and label the package as medallions or whatever, but that would risk them being confiscated should anyone care to look inside.
    What seems strange to me is that you can order directly from the Royal Mint online and have your coins sent to you in Australia. If they can do it, why can't my old mate just go to the post office and do the same?
    It doesn't seem right to me. Can anyone shed a little light on this situation for me?
    I appreciate your advice.

2. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

really? i used to get a fiver from my grnadma every chrismas and birthday in the mail. it never was a problem? maybe they mean large amounts of currency

3. Malachi Constant

Yes, it seems pretty harmless sending a relative a small gift.

But I have an update. It seems that it is Australia Post, not the Royal Mail that has restrictions. According to the Royal Mail website:

This section defines articles that, while not necessarily dangerous, Australia Post carries only with specific restrictions or conditions.
    Banknotes and coins - In registered post within Australia, Australia Post accepts banknotes or coins to a maximum face value of AUS $200 in any one consignment. However, Australia Post accepts no liability for the loss of or damage to any such notes or coins.
    Bullion.

Well I'm still confused, but I think my friend's post office may have interpreted the regulations incorrectly. A two-pound silver proof and a handful of old coins do not have a 'face value of AUS$200'...

4. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

You should read the terms and conditions on the royal mail UK website for clarification. You can ship coins etc any way you wish but regular airmail will not provide any compensation for loss of money or precious metal. You have to use a more expensive method and your options are shown on the official website. It is very expensive for low value shipments unfortunately.

5. Malachi Constant

Thanks Photonaware
    I've pretty much reached that conclusion as well. Rather than a prohibition or restriction, its a caveat. I'll let my friend in Peterborough know tonight.

6. roo_dr

roo_dr New Member

Malachi how soon do you want your stash in Australia? I may know someone who is heading to the UK who could bring them back in late January :)

(Why anybody would want to go there in the depths of winter is beyond my understanding though!)

7. Malachi Constant

Thanks, roo_dr, but package is on its way. I appreciate your offer and agree that the UK isn't at its best at this time of year. I have a workmate in Scotland at the moment but he has an excuse - he's Scottish.
    Thanks again.

8. silverbear

silverbear New Member

9. Malachi Constant

Thanks silverbear. It's a very fraught business, sending things through the mail... Fortunately I've never had a problem with coins locally. I always use registered mail for anything silver and insurance for anything over $100.
    I'll report back when my stuff arrives...

10. Malachi Constant

Update!
    I received some coins from my old friend in England a few days before xmas. It was a trial shipment to see if there would be any dramas sending the silver. He sent some old coins he had lying around (he's not a collector) and they are fantastic. In the batch was an 1864 half penny with a fantastic patina and very clear features. There was also an 1896 penny, 1922 shilling and a few coins from 1943 and 1948. It was interesting to compare the young Queen Victoria with the later version - she didn't age well...
    He also tossed in a Charles and Di commemorative five-pound coin and some other commemorative medallions.
    I guess it would be relatively common to find really old coins in your change over there.
    I'm now awaiting a Churchill commemorative proof fresh from the RM.