Panda strategy

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by smokymcpot, Nov 19, 2012.

1. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Hey guys, just finished my 1/2oz Ag Panda collection in OMP and 1 slabbed MS 68.
    I have an issue currently with 2 pandas which one of them has a head rub and one more has some dirt on it (not tone)
    Should I sell both of them and get a better condition coin or start with collecting 1/20 and 1/10 oz gold pandas?

Main purpose is for collection ans investing comes second.

Thanks!

2. aussiesilver

aussiesilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I guess if you have to ask the question might pay to get rid of them and try a bit harder to get what you want

3. Vredaren

Vredaren Member

I would say if it's mainly for collecting - get what you want!
    Also, if budget is tight 1/10th oz pandas can be really expensive (especially more scarce years). I myself have started collecting 1/20th oz ones and they are easy enough to collect on a low budget and you can still admire the craftmansship.

4. low

low New Member

1/20 oz gold, not limiting to panda, is interesting and also very challenging.

For one thing, the coin is small enough it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to differentiate the quality of a 68 and 70 grade coin, yet the price difference is huge.

For collecting purpose, 1/20 oz gold in 68 grade is good enough for me. Reasonably price 69 or 70, if available, is good too.

5. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

I really like them though it's just that they have minor issues with them and sad to say both of them are 1994 pandas which is my favorite as it is my birth year. Every other panda I have from different years haven't got any issue except 1994 :/

6. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Oh cool. I was considering to start 1/20 oz gold pandas or start 2001 - 2012 Ag Pandas. Any idea from an investing perspective, which would be better?

7. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Hmm, for 1/2o oz gold panda, do you start from 2012 and move backwards or ? Haha. :eek:

8. low

low New Member

For 1/20oz gold panda, anything between 1994 and 2004 is good. With a bit of patience you can find some nice one on ebay.

Personally I like gold unicorn. Cheapest is 1/20oz and they are beautiful. You can get the common 1994 proof PF69UC or 1996 BU MS69 for less than 2x spot which to me is a good deal.

Btw, 1997 1/10oz MS69 gold auspicious matter is selling at slightly above gold spot. I think that is a nice gold bullion investment. Many MS69 has rubbing here and there. Finding a perfect one without rubbing is a nice challenge. The 1/20oz is expensive. I wish I can afford one.

9. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Oh cool, what would be a good year to start collecting 1/20 oz Au Pandas?

10. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Don't start collecting 1/20 oz. gold pandas. I don't need any competition. =D

11. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Hahahaha. Nah, I won't come near to your level plus the currency exchange isn't helping too. :(

12. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

and not all those are real cheap either:) try the 1998:) or the 1999 or the 2000 ...........:)
    as far as the 1/10 goes ,it is not hard at all to spend 1500usd to 3500 usd on certain years .............i have seen pure junky 2002 go for 1200 usd ...........

13. Vredaren

Vredaren Member

While the 1/20th oz aren't cheap by other series standards it's a lot more affordable than 1/10th oz pandas, have you seen the prices on some of the more scarce years? staggering.... might as well go for the 1/2 ozers in some cases!

As for me, I just buy whatever year I find that is at a reasonable price, soon enough you've filled in quite a few years and can then start searching for specific ones. If you're lucky and keep an eye out you can get really good deals. I recently picked up a 1997 1/20th oz for .5% over spot, RAW mind you but still!

14. low

low New Member

1987 is very affordable and beautiful, particularly at MS68.

If you want to test your luck, perhaps 2003 is a good one.

If you want a little challenge but not too much, try the 1995 SD/LD. The design is pretty nice.

Whatever your choose to go, I think it is worthwhile to at least get a proof gold panda 1/20. In total there are 9. A complete series is tough, but getting one or two is easy.

If the primary interest is about collecting, then I don't worry about having a complete set.

15. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Are we talking graded gold fracs here or OMP?

Just my opinion.. ... I'd caution against trying for a collection of 1/20ths, definitely not the 1/10ths... they'll get beyond most people's means rather quickly. You may even lose enthusiasm for them. Low is giving sound advice, like try to get proof 1/20ths and that there is precious little difference between a 68 69 and 70 in the 1/20th series. So buy as close to the key dates as possible once you've established what those are. The '97 1/20th might be a good coin yes but don't get hung up on completing a set. Buy couple of great years and enjoy them. Set collecting is noble yes, practically impossible for the majority of collectors.

16. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wisdom from the 25Grizzlies! :)

It's good to have you back :)

17. jc888888888

sound wisdom !! welcome back Grizzlies !! "Low is giving sound advice, like try to get proof 1/20ths and that there is precious little difference between a 68 69 and 70 in the 1/20th series." the 20th,s are maddening to grade I have 2 1984 I got from Hiimderrick .........ms67 ,I have looked at a fair amount of coins and cant figure those 2 for 67,s ..........they are stunning ,buy the coin not the grade!

18. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Start from 1982 :) ehhehe...

19. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

20. jc888888888

I see fishball is back:) ,impossible to find a 1982 1/20 ,my friend Yennus sending Smokycpot on what we call here in the USA a snipe hunt :), and if his screen name is any indication he might of been looking for a while:) Yennus be a good boy!............ good to see the old gang resurfacing first grizzlies then fishball !:) Now if Comeaux shows up we have a regular party!