The End Game

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by petey, Nov 11, 2012.

1. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

This is my plan exactly, a very small rural community, dead end road to the property so any traffic has a reason to be there and is quickly noticed by the 5 or 6 residents, and importantly a dirt road that can quickly and easily be made impassable if the need arises.

2. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

Why not Darwin or Townsville lucky luke?

3. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where are the majority of Australia's military forces located.......................... ?

I had in mind where a couple of well placed ICBM's would likely land should it ever come to an out and out stoush of grand proportions between the US (and its underling Australia) with other significant global powers.................. :| Hence my comment about avoiding being a collateral damage statistic.

4. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Or anywhere near a power station or any other major infastructure

5. 2ds

2ds New Member

Are you saying there is a humanist conspiracy to take over the world?

6. lucky luke

I think we probably needn't start worrying until the Indonesians start making it compulsory for all their millions to take marathon distance swimming lessons and practice using shark repellent. Otherwise they might have a little difficulty finding their way to our shores in any meaningful way. Before anyone starts thinking about this too hard, I would add that it's also hard to mount AA guns on the types of boats that regularly get impounded and burnt in Darwin Harbor. :lol:

Come out, come out where ever you are (calling all arm chair generals to the bait!)

7. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

All I'll contribute here is, Indonesia is an archipelago nation of 13,000 islands. To get between them they have a lot of boats. We just see the people smugglers who buy the cheapest and oldest dilapidated ones for a one way trip... Also don't forget that Indonesia bought the old East German navy. All rusted into port now but they can just buy any surplus Chinese/Indian/Middle East etc blue water boats if they need them...They're done it before.

8. lucky luke

:)

9. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

That's armchair admiral to you!

10. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Not to mention in a world of mobile phones and internet, I think someone might notice an invasion force being assembled, assuming they were capable of it which I don't think they are, but let's assume that they are. A few people might take a few photos, send a few emails maybe, post to facebook, lol. Is it really credible in today's world? We would have massive advance notice. Take into account supply lines across an ocean, etc, etc...

It's kind of like fear-mongering about the Chinese in regards to coming and taking our minerals. I think it's actually a lot cheaper and much less hassle for them just to buy them. When goods don't cross borders...

11. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Not sure about that, we apparently have a hard time noticing people smuggling boats until they're 3/4 the way to our top end on an alarmingly frequent basis.

That said, I don't think people really appreciate just how inhospitable our top end of the country actually is.

I'm a very big fan of Les Hiddens (many of you might know him as the Bush Tucker Man) and he's done quite a lot of research in the top end on survival. There's many millions of acres of inhospitable land up there and you can die very easily if you are not carrying considerable supplies with you.

Australia's natural environment up there actually does quite a good job of protecting the lower states from possibility of invasion. Our history is littered with explorers (however well prepared) dropping dead trying to make the journey.

It's a pretty damn big country when you get right down to it.

12. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

I was going to ask how they could buy boats or anything else when they have to feed 52 million troops but that is the total available volunteers, the armed forces has 476,000. I wonder if they could even arm 52 million?

Makes you wonder why the Aussie government doesn't want more people armed and practicing ;) I'm not baiting here, look at Switzerlands home defence, people have their military issue assault rifles in their house and their homicide rate is lower than ours by 30%, but they do do compulsory military service.

13. lucky luke

............... :) ..... "we"? ....... you or the average person perhaps. But I'd be careful to presume generalising this to the authorities. There is also likely an "official" vs "unofficial" level of surveillance reporting. :)

14. lucky luke

Why do we need compulsory military service? Hell, it's far cheaper to just let out mates the Yanks use our bases, transit through our country, and even start plans to fill in the gaps in manning of our bases in the future. With our ugly deficit, it'd surely be cheaper to cut our defence budget to shreds while relying increasingly on our mate's the Yanks for our security. We are such a lucky country to have such benevolent friends and allies to look after our interests. :lol:

15. Auspm

Auspm New Member

I'm being facetious.

16. mdh

mdh New Member

On the indonesian angle from hotel46, our country would kill them in an invasion from the north, without much need for adding to the pain from our defence forces.
    It is damn inhospitable up there.
    Hell we could pull back to the brisbane line (trust me our military would look after the NW gas fields (strategic asset) ) and just defend the population centres for not much loss.
    There is a reason most of our population lives in the southern temperate regions.
    Logistics for an Aus invasion would be an astronomical task.

17. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

OK, I realise you are being facetious but I'll just point out an invasion force is quite different from a fishing boat, just to say it. One quite ordinary and unnoticeable. The other, not so much.

And while we're on the topic, if you want to do some comparisons to the 30's, there was fascist Germany and all it's little fascist satellite countries, such as Austria, Italy, etc.
    Today, it's fascist USA with all it's little fascist satellites, Britain, Australia, etc.

In Germany it was the jews, in Australia (and the US) it is the illegal immigrants.
    In Germany it was the communists, in Australia (and the US) it is the terrorists.

Same old tricks. Same old fear-mongering. Same old demonisation,

18. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

They will start from Cabramatta in western sydney & work their way from there :p:

19. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Logistics.

Launching a war by sea would be futile, Australia is in bed with the US and UK and they have the largest naval fleet in the entire world (and growing) & I don't think indo has any standing naval fleet that would honestly threaten our northern borders anyway.

If it honestly became a serious threat issue, the US could park a few aircraft carriers, subs and battleships off our North coast quicker then an invading fleet could get here.

We might kiss the red, white and blue arse at the end of the day, but the fact of the matter is we're a massive landmass with 23 million souls with a standing 'army' that would make most other nations chuckle and think how quaint.

Besides, what fight would be have with the island nations to the North at all?

Rhonda is bonking the local inhabitants anyway.

[​IMG]

We're sweet.

20. lucky luke

Which would be the invading fleet if the US pre-emptively pre-located these ships (plus some planes plus some marines plus lots of equipment it may use) as you suggest?

:/

It's nice to see our "security" so assured. What measures come with assuring our security though?