Ebay Import Charges

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by honey stacker, Nov 12, 2012.

1. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

I was just buying a backpack from the US worth 117 US with a postage rate of 24.85 and a new import charge (as of 29th Oct) of 5.86. I know paypals gotta make a spread but for 147.71 I paid 147.50 with an exchange rate of almost 104c to 1AUD!

Some piggy needed a new gold plated trough and he didn't want to earn it like everybody else.

[​IMG]

This fee is also for coins and bullion amongst other things which looks like just about everything else.

Actually it is an insult to pigs to compare them to these dogs, actually I appologise to dogs too, mosquito's or leeches maybe or one of those amazonian fishes that apparently swims up the eye of your penis.

I have heard rumblings that the Australian Gov is planning on some new taxes too to make it fair for the domestic retail market :lol: :lol: :lol: If they want to make it fair maybe they should try to relieve small business of the heavy tax burdens and regulations they impose. Free market pfft.

I acually had an employer once cut my pay by 30% to make it fairer for the guys up north who were making that sort of figure, when I asked why they didn't just pay them 30% more I didn't get a response, I of course dropped the job on them and made life as difficult as I could for them.

End of rant.

[​IMG]

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm confused here
    What the hell has import charges got to do with PayPal , what are they collecting a none existing tax

3. stackdisilva

stackdisilva New Member

4. stackdisilva

stackdisilva New Member

just looking at those fees, paypal/ebay are making allot of money from our money/goods. ebay doesnt seem like a good place to sell when you have very low margins to work with (unless you have mega volume, but you will be making ebay richer than yourself). Look at international fees, some as high as 7.4%+fixed fee

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

What's the import charge? If you google "paypal import charge", this thread is the first result.

6. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I'm gonna guess this is a rant about the Paypal FX rate which is 3.5% above the 'market price' (eg. XE.com, spot price).

The math makes sense with the first post's information.

7. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

I hear your complain and it seems unfair but that is the same deal you will get from an international bank transfer or western union.

At least the aud is 1.04 instead of 0.60c.

8. honey stacker

I have asked the seller in a message, I don't think it's paypal (although I did complain about their spread) I'm trying to find out on what level it is being charged ie Gov, ebay, paypal, seller.

On the summary it was called an import charge. I buy quite a bit of stuff from US and have never seen it before.

Here is a link to the t & c

http://pages.ebay.com.au/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

9. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ah, that's their new "Global Shipping" thing.

The seller ships to a central location in the US and then a logistics company puts everything going to Australia on some pallets and ships it all over in one go.

The idea is that the seller doesn't have to deal with the hassles of international shipping and is therefore more likely to offer stuff to international buyers.

10. honey stacker

Ok, I didn't find out about it till it was time to pay but it was buy it now pay now deal, I hope they put it in the description for buy it now pay later and auctions.

Also they charged usps first class wonder why they don't just say it when you are searching so you can tally it in with the other options.

11. long88

long88 Member

use 28 degree master card, they apparently can set you up with virtual address etc, and conversion rate are quite good as well. no transaction fee.. and no.. i am not working for them, i just happen to buy a lot of international item, and got sick of paying the bank lots of fee, and with their ridicolous fee..