5 oz Graded Panda... has this been tampered with?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by apples, Nov 7, 2012.

1. apples

apples New Member

Good Day Panda Community,

I recently made a foray into the 5 oz panda market for the first time, purchasing a NGC graded 2007 panda. Since this is a new area of interest and there is a red flag with the purchase, I am wondering if I could get a second opinion on what I am seeing. The purchase was made from a large, known online dealer of strong brand and reputation, so I did not expect any issues.

The sides of the plastic case do not appear normal. Where the two sides meet, there is an abnormality that looks like hot glue. Without being really aggressive, I cannot tell if its a defect in the plastic or some sort of scratching... but it really looks like a stream of hot glue. Once again, I don't have anything on hand to compare it to, but this does not seem "normal". I have attached a photo below as best I could. Is there an explanation for why this might look the way it does?

[​IMG]

I was initially suspicious that someone did a "bait and switch", but after looking up the coin in the NGC registry, I am reasonably confident based on the imagery and some distinguishing characteristics that this is not the case. Nevertheless, the purchase seems a little "off" to me. Or am I just being paranoid?

2. серебро

серебро New Member

Hi Apples
    That does not look right at all. Here is a pic of a NGC holder. I would contact them straight away

[​IMG]

3. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I wouldn't say it is uncommon for the seems to be a bit rough from the molds in spots. Honestly though, there is no way one could successfully crack open one of those slabs and replace a coin without destroying the holder.

4. серебро

серебро New Member

I agree. But one should be able to expect the holder to be in better condition than that.

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

send an email and photo to NGC see what they say ?

6. au_ag_miner

au_ag_miner Member

+1, send the pic to NGC but recently I wrote to them about a cert number that I failed to verify online, they have yet to get back to me

7. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Even if they say they'll replace it, unless you're in the US or Canada, you'll end up paying more in shipping there and back than it's worth.

8. серебро

серебро New Member

Are you a member? Before I was not one question was answered. Now that I am 1 day turnaround

9. au_ag_miner

au_ag_miner Member

Member as in paying member?

10. серебро

серебро New Member

Yep

11. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

I just looked at some of my large NGC slabs, and the arrow marks are much less noticeable on the larger slabs. They should still be there if you look closely though.

I couldn't tell from the picture whether they were present or not.

12. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

imho I agree with Heyimderrick ,you cannot open a slab to replace a coin without it shattering FOR SURE ,looks like sloppy sonic sealing job by NGC....... I have opened a fair amount...........