New global shipping program being tested by ebay

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by jc888888888, Nov 3, 2012.

1. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

Could be good news for folks getting coins shipped worldwide by e bay sellers ,it would seem to take the fear out of shipping internationally for sellers ,Cost for the service is the first thing that comes to mind??

E BAY PRESS RELEASE
    Great news! A new Global Shipping Program, now being tested, will help you expand your sales to millions of eager international buyers. By enrolling for FREE in this program, you'll be able sell to buyers in multiple countries, but ship your packages to a shipping center located in the USthis means you're only responsible for the domestic leg of shipping!
    Once your item arrives at the designated US shipping center, the Global Shipping Program then takes care of ALL facets of international parcel processing. They'll:
    Complete customs forms
    Remit applicable import charges pre-paid by your buyer
    Ship the package on to the buyerwith full end-to-end international tracking!
    Your shipping-related Detailed Seller Ratings will be protected, and you are not liable for loss or damage during international transit. This program is great for buyers, too, as they'll see the complete and total price of the purchase up-frontduring checkoutso they won't be surprised by additional taxes or duties when the item arrives.
    The Global Shipping Program is currently being piloted with a small group of sellers, and will be more broadly available in the months ahead. Watch this announcement board for further updatesand get ready to go global!

2. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Very interesting, but probably not a positive development for buyers outside the US.

3. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I don't think this is a positive for overseas buyers if they are going to have to pay full duty and import charges on the full price of their purchases. I normally under declare the value for my overseas clients and mark them as gifts so that they don't get dinged with high taxes.

4. jc888888888

I think the point I was trying to make ,this will probably bring a lot more sellers into the worldwide market .... you continually hear buyers lament that the ebay bargains that sometimes occur they cannot enjoy because sellers wont ship them ,from a sellers perspective they don't want to ship internationally because many have at some point incurred substantial losses ,yes duty and cost still remain to be seen ,but I think it is a positive for buyers in some respects ,you might see a lot more bidders on coins and looking at it from another perspective some of the so called bargains on e bay might vanish................

5. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I think this could be a very good thing if it works smoothly, I always hate the high shipping charge I have to impose for overseas buyers, but express mail is the only way I am currently covered at $40 for a flat rate envelope and it is hard to fit a coin with a box into it without damage. I even get buyers that think I am pocketing the money and get upset .

6. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Just wondering why don't you use first class mail and register it? I've used it to send slabs overseas and it costs me on average around $15.00

7. BostonModernCoins

BostonModernCoins New Member

8. jc888888888

Silverstar uses express because it is the only form of mail that guarantee,s the buyer must sign for it and it is insurable ,I recently lost a 2006 expo shipped to Singapore sent registered,not all countries follow the signature rule on registered mail ,I replaced the coin for the good customer and it cost me 400usd ,beyond popular believe lots of sellers trade coins earning 20usd or so on a 400usd coin ,when you take that loss ,it takes a long time to make it up....... thats why ebay sellers wont ship internationally

well all for not boston modern say,s no go

9. jc888888888

Silverstar if you use the US post office for express go online USPS.com ,order free supplies ,get the padded express flat rate envelope ,(you can only get it online) ,it fits a box and coin nicely

10. jc888888888

Darn it................. ANYWAY ,WELCOME BOSTON MODERN COINS!!:) Guys ,I can vouch for Boston modern ,he sells on e bay,I have purchased a few items off ebay:) ,quality coins ,great service, good people. Very fair prices on MS70 2012 panda,s :)

11. jc888888888

just read all the fine print ,no countries in Asia are included so worthless program even if coins where included:)

12. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

New global shipping program being tested by eBay

there is no money to be made here, if eBay charges fees, no one will use eBay in most Asian countries.

13. low

low New Member

Few months ago I have one USPS express mail treated as regular mail by USPS, and no tracking information were updated in the website.

The mail did arrive after 2 weeks.

14. jc888888888

once this stuff leaves the USA ,other countries post offices pretty much can treat it as they like....................and when you file a claim here in the USA you grow old waiting for the insured parcel to be paid on :) in the case of my missing 2006 expo ,I mailed that coin on August 10, 2012 ,I filed a claim of loss , I cannot even file the insurance paperwork to start the process to get paid till Nov 18,2012 ,as the Singapore post office has 60 days to respond:) so I probably wont see the funds till mid 2013......................

15. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Well I used to send coins overseas ,just first class for about $4 then I started to have a few problems which I ended up losing the coins and the money with paypal , so I thought registered was safe. The Final straw happened when I sent a kilo coin to germany registered and the customer filed a item not received case and paypal put a hold on all my funds that is when I learned that ebay does not accept registered mail for seller protection , luckily it was a customer I had dealt with many times and they agreed to end the case at their risk , of course I would have sent a refund if it never got there. So I filed a case with the postal service which can be investigated with registered mail but can take up to 90 days , well they finally got the coin about 2 1/2 months later because it was held up with customs, about a week after that the postal service sent me a letter and said the package had been delivered. I was just lucky that it was an honest and trusting customer or I would have been screwed since by the time it was received ebay/paypal could have taken and refunded the money and closed the case. That was a lucky lesson learned the easy way. So now I have to ship express if it is through ebay. Another thing to consider is that the USPS will not insure jewelry or precious metals overseas. Another scary thing is if you look at what is and is not permitted to mail in other countries precious metals are usually not permitted unless it is sent global express guaranteed which I think is USPS but through fed ex and costs start around $80 if I remember correctly. Too bad they exclude coins with this new ebay thing but it figures.

16. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thats too bad , I really hope you get your insurance for that, what a headache.

17. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Can't you buy insurance on Registered Mail? I am pretty sure you can...

18. jc888888888

you sure can ,that is exactly what i had on the 2006 expo I lost,insured registered,read my other post

19. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Thats interesting because from my understanding the USPS will no longer insure precious metals or jewelry, a few years ago a postmaster told me they had problems with a large scam from India (and probably other places) with people filing false insurance claims for supposed lost jewelry so they made that decision. Did they ask you what was in the lost package or do you just file a claim with no questions about content?

20. low

low New Member

Actually in my case, the problem starts with USPS. The USPS website doesn't shows any status at all, and this is EMS parcel.

If you post the coin to Singapore, it should be quite safe. Perhaps your buyer will receive it one day. The longest I waited for USPS registered mail is 4 months.

Another interesting experience was for a banknote posted from Australia. Took 6 months to arrive. Travelling path is very interesting. First it went to Philippines and stay there for few months, then went to Thailand, when Bangkok was flooded last year. Again stayed there for a couple of months, and finally it decided to go home when I have forgotten about it. It was a low priced banknote and I didn't file any claim with the seller.

The most interesting part is, it was sent by regular mail.