Panda Mintages

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by smokymcpot, Nov 2, 2012.

1. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Hey guys, as you all know, the mintages of the silver panda has been increasing quite alot especially from 6 million for the 2011 panda to 8 million for the 2012 panda.

My question would be

a) Would this cause the panda's to be like any other bullion coins if the mintages keep going higher and higher?
    b) If the mintages keep increasing by the millions year after year, would the prices be affected then? (Panda's normally follow spot if it goes up, if spot drops, the prices kinda maintain, will it change and fluctuate according to spot if it drops?)

Thanks guys!

2. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I think the consensus amongst many of us is that the pre-2010 releases will do well, while the 2010+ years will lag. Dealers seem to have to pay a fairly high premium as it is on the new releases, so I think price appreciation for the 2011 and 2012 will be limited in relation to dealer prices, and I can only imagine that 2013 mintages will again be substantially higher. The popularity of the new releases should drive up demand for the older issues though.

As for price drops, obviously the coins that are rare and in demand will fare better than the multi-million mintage coins. I personally wouldn't consider "stacking" 2011+ pandas.

3. low

low New Member

China plan to make BU panda as popular or more popular than ASE, and the preferred bullion coin. Yes, in the future, it is going to be bullion coin, and China encourage their people to hold more silver and gold.

Proof coins are positioned as numismatic coin.

4. au_ag_miner

au_ag_miner Member

and there is hardly any proof panda issued apart from the 5 ozers and some commemoratives ..

5. low

low New Member

That is true.

Probably CGCI doesn't have to rely on proof 1oz to generate profit. Hahaha.

6. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Oh, that's sad :(
    So 2011 onwards, it'll just be another bullion coin huh? Then why the mark up compared to ASEs and Maples?

7. low

low New Member

Because CGCI and its authorised distributors love money.

8. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Oh okaay. One last question, for panda's, what's the range their weight should be?

What's the minimum and maximum weight?

9. gerald

gerald New Member

I would say that the modern pandas are bullion coins with a proof-like finish. IMHO they are nicer than the bullion ASEs and Maples (judging by photos of the latter - I don't have any, yet).

10. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

Anyone have any word on when the 2013 Silver Panda will be released? I am excited to get some of these just to have something new and different.

For numi panda's i will keep doing my best to hoard any pre 2006 Panda's i can get my hands on in high grade.

Its quite frustrating to buy an order Panda in poor condition but it seems to happen every now and again on the bay as most of those are ones that people rejected from grading.

It is becoming harder and harder to find solid OPM older pandas.

ahh the hunt is always on for Pandas

11. smokymcpot

smokymcpot New Member

Oh okaay cool. I myself only have 2 pandas which is the 1994 1oz silver panda. If I were to start investing/collecting silver pandas,which year should I start with and why? OMP or graded? :)

Thanks!

12. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, this is very true. In the last few years of hunting Pandas all over the world, it is getting harder to find good quality OMP Pandas.

This is likely due to a few reasons:

a) very limited initial supply (e.g. only a few thousand 2000 Mirrored Pandas).
    b) more and more OMP Pandas get converted to graded Pandas, reducing the OMP population.
    c) popularity. Without a doubt there appears to be more Panda investors worldwide.

13. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

a) Yes, the post 2010 Pandas are likely to be similar to bullion coins minted in the millions, but they still have a premium price advantage (or disadvantage). Given 5-10years, the 2011s and 2012s are likely (imho) to have a numismatic value higher than the 2017s/etc Pandas.
    b) Yes, the Panda prices are affected by spot, but not as much as other bullion coins. This is probably due to increased local demand in China. There are simply more people willing to buy Pandas at higher prices in China than outside of China. Pandas are also much more recognized in China than other types of silver/gold coinage.