Help me grade 1938 Crown

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by hem9, Oct 25, 2012.

1. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I received this crown as a gift and have no idea how to grade the condition of the coin, any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

grade = perdy

3. domdolittle

domdolittle Active Member Silver Stacker

Very hard to tell from photo if someone tried to clean the black spots under Commonwealth and Of... if it was done it probably downgraded from a certain EF to Fine, although it's hard to tell with grading, someone could be more generous than another...

:cool:

4. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I am going to stick my neck out a little and go with VF+ I don't think it jumps up the next grade level as there is a bit of wear to the Orbs and across some of the high points (look at rim near top cross). Also as above not knowing if cleaned or scratches across the field as it looks. If it hasn't been cleaned or scratched plus the detail is there I feel it may go to aEF I believe it to be in around that range.

Certainly no expert but from what little I know this is about where I would pitch it based on the picture. Either way I would think it is couple hundred dollar coin there about's. Keen to see what the real experts believe :)

5. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am no expert either but I would say that what Austacker has said is pretty much on the money, hard to say from a photo but EF at the very best. If it was a gift you did very well :)

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

7. hem9

Thanks for the offer mate but my wife gave it to me so it would be bad form to sell. Here is the auction she bought it from (the seller seems to have a better camera)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...86&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123#ht_500wt_922

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Hmm looking at those photo's from the ebay link, to me it looks cleaned on the Obverse ? very bright face and then dirt in between the lettering ? If not the photo looks like it and that was why it probably didn't go higher.

I am going to drop down the grade to VF this is why photo's can never really tell you want you see in person.

Very nice gift either way and thank her for being so considerate. Either way you have one now :)

9. hem9

So was it still a good buy? (I got to educate her for the next time she gets me something) ;)

10. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would grade it as VF as well.
    Sold one about a grade lower on ebay a few months ago and only fetched $125 :(

11. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

The Numis value always drops with a cleaned coin regardless. I do think it is about right. However I see that it started at $115 I would have gone with that and seen if anyone bid ? She took the BIN option by the looks of it. So if she had placed first bid she could have gone up to $125 anyway, but if needed quickly I understand the decision.

If not cleaned, then good buy on the money IMO. If cleaned ? may be a tad dear. As a gift and a collectible I don't think it matters too much though. Probably just show her how to look for signs of cleaning. That would be my only lesson :) plus a nice thanks...

12. hem9

Don't know if it's cleaned as I don't really deal in numi items but your opinions are appreciated.

13. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

VF to gVF - need a better shot of the orb's T to award it a higher grade. rims seem ok a few nicks.. good hair detail, nice strike.. some underlying lustre.. potentially a aEF.. also need to see if there is fine surface scratching from the clean which could lose it a half grade.

Price = $170-200

1for1