Interstate/Overseas Moves

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by mickjohn, Oct 25, 2012.

1. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

if you had to move interstate or long distance and you would like your PMs stored within reasonable proximity of your home location....

How would you transport it securely?
    Do any of the storage facilities offer bullion transfers etc?
    Would you liquidate and re-purchase in new location (GST issues)?
    or would you trade the GSR to minimise weight/signature?

Ideas?

2. Basil135

Basil135 New Member

I guess there are a lot of variables in play here.

If the amount isn't huge, say, less than 50kg's, and you were only doing an interstate move, you could always spread it thru a few boxes, and hide it with other heavy things, like books.

The other options are to get a 3rd party armoured carrier, like Chubb or Armaguard to do the move for you, but this could get expensive. The advantage of this is, it is fully insured, and you carry less risk. The problem is that if you have it delivered home, it is going to be a bit obvious that something is up. Those trucks are not what I would call, discreet.

I understand that the armoured carriers may hold & store it for you, for a period of time.

You could always move it in small bundles to secure storage yourself, and then have it picked up & delivered to a vault or holding place of your choosing, at a later date.

As for going overseas, I have nothing to offer.... I don't even have a passport... :D

3. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

I like this but I have had many things go missing in the past due moving. ie 'lost in transit'. Removalists have also tried to deliver things that didnt belong to me. I would imagine that 50kgs would be pretty hard to hide especially if you dont own alot of other things. Thats slightly more than 1500oz or 3 monster boxes.

As a guide, what would it cost to freight a monster box within Australia? (16kg)

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've recently moved from Sydney and dumped everything in storage until I get sorted over here. This was when I realized how inconvenient silver can be and did trade in a good bit for gold. Swapped some back when I got to Perth, wrked out quite nicely.

I plan on heading back soon and taking some more of it with me as carry-on but not sure how security will take to that. One guy I've spoken to brought a couple of 100oz bars on an interstate plane with him and had a bit of trouble with security claiming they could be used as weapons. He did get through in the end but not so sure about this.

50kg split into 17 Platinum Post bags at a cost of $300ish ($17.43ea if buy 10+) could be an option depending on the freight quotes. Bullion isn't covered by AusPost in this case but I've never had a problem doing it this way you and can watch the online tracking easy enough.

5. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Easy ... Sell to Bullion Bourse.... and buy back from Bullion Money.

Job Done.... :)

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

If they give you a hard time at the airport ask them to put them in the dangerous goods hold & simply get them back when you arrive .One of many instances of this was when I flew interstate to buy a vintage motorcycle one time & took some tools with me for the adventure ride home on the antique & they wouldnt let me take the tools on the plane for obvious reasons so they took them & put them in the hold like they do with firearms if you need to travel with them . no problem or extra charge just a few extra minutes to retrieve them at a different counter. If theres a lot they might charge you extra baggage for the weight.It has been a few years since i put anything in the dangerous goods so there might be charges now . But its no big deal

7. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

Thanks for the constructive posts.

I might give BB a call tomorrow. Not sure about their buyback spreads.
    Otherwise I am sensing a GSR swap.