Electricity Demand Declining Since 2009

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by CriticalSilver, Oct 20, 2012.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Umm, no. Capitalism works because of this very concept. I didn't know that anyone had "made" a "civilised" society (whatever civilised mean) on the basis of a philosophical concept or otherwise.

If you think the society we live in is largely civilised then you are simply talking about having a gazillion goods and services available to a society through division of labour rather than through individual hunter gatherer self-sufficiency. Everything about capitalism/western society is simply first principles division of labour which when thought about leads to what I said before.

In order to preempt a worthless side discussion - the recognition of individual rights, individual property rights and their effective enforcement without favour are necessary foundations for Western society which is where a government has typically inserted itself to justify it's existence but we are a long, long, long way from that point and is therefore irrelevant to the context of who is really generates improvements in the welfare of others.

2. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

@ Big Ad ,I think you know sfa about the electricity grid upgrade, in victoria anyway .
    most of it is replacing 40 yr old worn out rusted/rotted /burnt out infrastructure and its certainly not being ''gold plated ''

3. jparrie

jparrie Member

So if this carbon (dioxide) tax is so effective, what decline in CO2 levels will the world see in the years ahead? And what will the reduction in temperature be?

Actually, don't bother answering that because we all know the answer - a big fat zero on both counts thanks to other developing nations that couldn't give a shit either way.

Just another tax levied on those least able to afford it.

4. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Up here in Qld, ENERGEX announced they'll be laying off 500 contractors and labourers. And if they keep losing money like this, they'll have to start laying off politicians next. :)

5. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

a price, most people are willing to pay.

6. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ha, Just posting those charts alone is enough for me to condemn you to the class of ignoramus A.D. . If you are unaware of the serial maladjustment's carried out by Hansen based on the GHCN data then you are indeed living da vida loca. We've been there time and again and you know yourself the science as you see it is post modernist crap, even BEST'S coauthor has problems with it.

Here's a real simple question,

Show us a peer reviewed paper that clearly shows the "proven" link between the emission of CO2 and temperature increase ? The so called climate scientists have had over twenty five years of scaremongering and yet they still cant do it.

In the absence of that All of the so called "benefits" we as a people gain by compensating the green industry with tax dollars for inefficient power production based on CO2 become nothing but a ponzi and a rort.

Have any business interest's that might coincide with your opinions expressed here A.D ? If so maybe you should provide a disclaimer in your post's or Sig.

7. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

There's another story on the guy that looked into the gold plating. He's debunking the power mobs claim to increased demand.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/farmer-finds-facts-lost-in-transmission-20121021-27zeg.html

8. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

Quick !! Build that Victorian desalination plant of a flood plain cause we believe :lol:

Kind Regards
    non recourse

9. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

I don't think he got the memo about not blaming the Carbon Tax! I wonder if he will be prosecuted now as well?

10. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

You only get prosecuted if you exaggerate Carbon Tax's effect on the increase in prices.

Anyway I read that article and it felt like an advertisement for them more than anything. There aren't any clear numbers as to how much power they use or how the tax actually affects them apart from one sentence of 10%.

11. silversardine

silversardine Member

$1000 ------( Insert high pitched screeching sound) That is a big bill! Or maybe we just get around in the dark too much!

12. REDBACK

REDBACK Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I remember arriving at a customers home(I am an electrician) to discuss the slashing of my electrical quote down to a level to suite her projected budget.
    Now this was her dream 60 square home with all..and i mean all the mod cons.
    I hadn't looked at the price for 9 months so when i reviewed the quote the night before the meeting i noticed i had given her cut throat rates any way (She was also a long standing customer)

She told me a few days before she was looking at discounting the price by about $4500,the jobs value was around $23k.

I knew this was going to be impossible so instead of an eventual head to head argument(She is a stubborn lady-but an absolutely beautiful human) i though i would approach it with a solution to keep her happy.

I arrived at her home around 7-30pm at night and met her at the door with the statement that i had reviewed my quote and was able to slash my price to meet her budget expectations.

She beamed with happiness and showed me in like a long lost relative.

I took a seat at her Dinning room table and proceeded to unpack my bag which contained 30 candles labeled with room names.
    I explained to Mrs Pink that to achieve the 4.5k cut in the budget we were replacing all her downstairs lighting with one candle per room.
    I did explain to her as her husband used his office for business purposes i had allowed 2 candles for that room plus i was throwing in a free candle holder for the office...
    Well you could have heard a pin drop.
    There was deathly silence for about 20 seconds as her eyes flickered back and forth from the candles to my proud expression,from myself back to the candles,from the candles back to myself..She then burst out laughing..cut a long story short i got the job at the original price!!

Solution to your lighting and electricity needsbuy some candles ;)

REDBACK

13. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^ HaHa Classic REDBACK, I'm calling it now......Post of the week :D