Size - How big is your biggest piece of Au, and how big would you go?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by au1pt2rh3pd4ag5, Oct 15, 2012.

1. au1pt2rh3pd4ag5

au1pt2rh3pd4ag5 New Member

Hi, this is my first post, hopefully after previewing it, it won't vanish and make me start all over again like it did the first time I attempted this :-\

So far my biggest gold bullion item is a 10oz Engelhard London poured bar I just got from APMEX. They advised against going any higher, and mentioned that they melt down any kilogram (or higher) bars because there are fake bars floating around. That somewhat shocked me, but I'm still determined to get a kilo or 20-50oz gold bar as long as it's vintage poured and ideally has an assay.

You can see it here. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fvsn1SEoA[/youtube]

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

No-one is going to tell a stranger on the Internet how much gold they own.

3. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. au1pt2rh3pd4ag5

A - I wasn't asking for how much gold people own as in a complete inventory list (or your name, address, phone number, passport number, etc.)
    B - Obviously this is a forum where people write/read about such things anonymously so I find your response a bit rude (not to mention puzzling given all the posts I've read since I joined here that go into detail about what people own, want to trade etc.) you could have just ignored me after all.
    C - No-one? Stranger? Internet? I suspect most forum members who have gold in their possession would anonymously tell a stanger on the internet something about it before they'd reveal the details to someone they actually know, so I'll ask you to please speak for yourself, not the other members.

5. KMGeneral

KMGeneral Member

Have to agree with GP on this one. Also you should note that it's one thing to offer that sort of info to people that you have been dealing with (even anonymously), quite another for someone to ask for it. Smells far too much like a trap.

6. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

Biggest I own: 1oz coin
    Biggest I'd own: 400oz bar.

I look forward to the day when I can take 380 spare 1oz coins and trade them for a 400oz bar. :thumbsup:

7. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Note the little bit under his name which says Administrator ?

I am sure that he acted more out of concern for other members here, and his reponse didnt seem particularly rude at all. :mad:

I myself am stacking those 999 Mills Gold 1kg bars.
    Just wait, one day they'll be going to the moon :rolleyes:

8. au1pt2rh3pd4ag5

Your point is well taken. In my effort to not be a lurker, I may have weired some people out . . . I'll try to be more discrete from now on.

9. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

May I suggest you introduce yourself and say hi in the new members thread

10. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1 ;)

11. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Biggest I have is a 1 tonne nugget coin
    You can see it at the Perth Mint
    They are minding it for me

12. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

But I've got a certificate saying they are minding it for me.

WTT?

13. honey stacker

honey stacker New Member Silver Stacker

I beg your pardon, thats very personal! Oh Au, sorry I thought I was on a different forum............property, portfolio, enlargement ;)

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Being the internet, it's not terribly difficult to reverse-engineer many identities from a few shreds of information.

This is more of an investor community forum where a good many people meet face to face on a monthly basis, or engage in person-to-person transactions - there's not a lot of anonymity for anyone who has engaged in a trade - all of their counterparties to trades will have some idea of who they are.

As the forum owner, I am speaking for the other members.

Finally, it's just not proper gold/silver forum etiquette on any precious metals forum to ask about other people's stacks. Feel free to show yours off if you're comfortable publishing that information on the internet.

15. au1pt2rh3pd4ag5

Fair enough, in hindsight I can see that I wasn't using good etiquette given the subject matter. I'd just read a tread here about old gold bars that really struck a cord with me, and I dove in. I suggest you add the last bit about asking about other people's stacks in the Forum Etiquette section of the Rules page. I did read that before posting, but maybe if that were explicitly stated there, it would save another newbie to your forum getting off on the wrong foot, like I did.

16. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

What's with the User name? Is that your investment preference? Personally 1 oz would be my upper and lower limit for gold (If I could afford some)

17. au1pt2rh3pd4ag5

Thanks, my username is just the 5 metals I'm stacking (still need to get some Rhodium) in order; most expensive to least expensive.

18. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Cool video and great collection.... The biggest I would go is 2oz's. A kilo would be awesome but I wouldn't get due to financial restrictions and I think it might be harder to sell as less people would have the money to buy a 1 kilo, but 32 x 1oz would move fairly quickly.

19. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

Goldpelican checking into work at silverstackers.com of a morning.
    The "what, do you own the building or something?" bit came to mind, re: this thread.
    No offense au1pt, just lolz. Welcome to the jungle! ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3i-zOqko80[/youtube]

20. silversardine

silversardine Member

Don't worry about it - making a start is the important thing - in a post I mean. You've obviously go the gold bit sorted! Welcome to the forum.

I ounce size gold is the limit for me! But, mostly less for later sale and affordability, even if I did have enough $$$ for more.

In regard to people's IDs being easily tracked - sometimes I travel the net and see similar user names, looks at some posts and see that yep, they seem to be the same person as on here. Not obvious ones, like Bullion Baron who has a blog, but others (who could also have blogs!) Recently I had to register on a site just do a search for some ''vital'' info. After going through various user names they were all taken, I nearly just put this one is since it was a fairly ordinary site, somethign to do with books I think. Decided against it and thought of names here so I could finally register - 'fishball' came to mind so now if anyone sees a ''crabstick'' out there as a user name - it could be me.