NEW MEMBER UK

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Leprechaun, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Leprechaun

Leprechaun New Member

Hi everyone, just come across this site and as a new investor in PM was hoping to learn from you all if I can. First cam across investing in gold and silver after someone gave me Mike Maloney's book on investing in Gold and silver. Went on to research investing in PMs as a way of protecting wealth and am now well an truly convinced that its the smart thing to do. Everyday I see the value of currency falling, and with the announcement of QEternity I think the writing is on the wall in terms of where G&S are heading, the only question for me right now is how high both metals can go.

I'm also keen to explore exit strategies as I believe that at some future date it will be necessary to transfer the stored value of the holdings I may have accumulated into another asset class that will do the same job as gold and silver, but I welcome any thoughts on this.

As a UK investor I have to weigh up VAT and shipping costs to make investments value for money, which sites are used/recommended by members here. Also in terms of liquidity what size coins do members favour and are coins better than bars.

I'm also keen to learn what might be the best split gold:silver is favoured and when to alter this balance based on gold vs silver ratio. re the ratio are there any sites or apps that members can recommend to keep tabs on the ratio.

I know I raise a number of questions with this my first post, put its the only way to learn, and who better to ask that individuals with knowledge of gold and silver investing

2. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hello Little Leprechaun, Welcome. Good to see you again. : )

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Welcome. Have a good scratch around the site, plenty of info here. Take a look at the search button, its a useful feature.

Happy stacking

4. Leprechaun

Leprechaun New Member

Thanks maggie and geewiz, it's an exciting time to be investing. As I said I'm in for the long haul and don't tend to get to anxious about what I think we will look back on as smaller bumps in the road. I know there are probably a lot of wise investors on here and will learn from you all. I think sticking to the fundamentals is where I am at, I think the current global financial ill health of all fiat currencies can only help investors.

5. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gidday Leprechaun V*A/T can be a state of mind if you make friends in low latitudes really. Medallions, samples and many other extraordinary things can make their way into a padded envelope across the briney one way or another with willing participants.

Welcome to the forum, check out the varied threads especially the sales ones and sponsors sales threads, you never know what might turn up.

6. Jrandom

Jrandom New Member

You can also buy and store your silver overseas. I believe you should have PM geographical diversity anyway (verses asset diversity). I am sure someone has the link to the video with the cops cutting open British private safety deposit boxes and stealing their goods.

7. Andy

Andy New Member

hello and welcome from a fellow Brit. In answer to your question VAT is a killer so in some respects its easier to buy gold, but is nice to have some silver and you can find there are some kind individuals on here who will help where they can.

8. dcau1

dcau1 New Member

Hi Leprechaun

I'm new to the forum as well and live in the UK and am equally frustrated with being slugged 20% VAT on silver bullion. Recently I wrote that I buy my silver in Australia and get it shipped to an address in Melbourne, where I'm originally from.

An alternative that friends of mine have taken is to purchase silver on a site like Coins Invest Direct who are based in Germany and then call them up and organise to have your package couriered from the dealer to the UK. This way you're only paying the German 7% VAT rather than 20%. Seeing as the tax has already been paid on the metal within the EU the UK can't hit you twice.

A monster box for example, will set you back an extra 300 in courier costs but at current market rates you'll be saving over 1,500 in taxes. These savings will increase as the price of silver appreciates as well.

I hope this helps!

9. Leprechaun gold

Leprechaun gold Member

hey , come on, an english man plagiarizing my good name, :):)

10. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Hi and welcome.

11. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Hello and welcome. Always glad to help out a fellow member where that obnoxious tax is concerned. :)

13. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Hi Leprechaun. welcome to the forum. You're definitely a UK'er.. you mentioned VAT in your first post (I did exactly the same with my first post :) )