How best to stack my gold?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by gary3029, Oct 6, 2012.

1. gary3029

gary3029 New Member

Hi
    Been stacking and then selling for a number of years. First got involved when I thought buying a full sovereign for 60 was way over the top. Anyway for a variety of reason having to start at the bottom again. My reasons for stacking have changed and with less than 10 years to retirement I am looking for a way to have a way of having a money source to compliment my pension and small fiat savings without that income being visable or having to declare it. That brings me to my question. Should I mix my my stack with a wide range of sizes of gold coins bars so that selling as I need a topup will be easier. I would think 1oz coins and bars would take longer to sell than say smaller sizes. I am aware premiums will be higher with smaller stuff, but hopefully this would be of little concern say in 10/15 years when I start to slowly sell.
    Not overally concerned with the long term gains of my stack. I want to put in around 25,000 in silver and gold before i retire which I can sell in small amount to supplement my retirement.
    What are your thoughts

2. SA@YPS

SA@YPS New Member

1oz coins are just as easy to sell as fractional coins. Walk in any bullion store and sell.

3. gary3029

gary3029 New Member

Assume a bullion store in the uk would be a jewellers? My concern would be my plan is to travel the uk when I retire and might have a problem walking onto some jewellery shop with a 1oz coin and bar and them handing over say xxxxx depending on spot at that time.
    I have confidence with my silver stack with this plan. Perhaps the answer is sovereigns billion grade, but premiums are stupid.
    Is there shops in the USA that just deal with gold and silver billion?

4. SA@YPS

SA@YPS New Member

yes, we have dedicated coin/bullion shops. LCS or Local Coin Shop is what they are referred to as.

If you plan to travel Europe, i would definitely stack something that is easily recognized/sold there. Sovereigns, philharmonic, swiss franc, etc. Soveriegns are high premiums there? Usually don't go for much more than melt here in the USA.

5. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

25,000 into silver and gold that you can sell gradually.

---

Put at least 3,000 into the cheapest Sovereigns you can find.

imo

6. lucy43

lucy43 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

7. gary3029

gary3029 New Member

Blimey I need at trip to the USA and load up on some sovereigns.

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

In Aus bullion grade sovs are usually available for about 10% above spot - sometimes less

Can't believe things would be diff in UK - you might just need to look beyond jewelry shops
    Unless there is some tax involved

9. mr-dead

mr-dead Member

10. gary3029

gary3029 New Member

Must say idea of small denominations does appeal. Anticipate needing stack to raise small cash flow of a hundred pound at a time. I think a small amount of 1oz bars and coins, 3k full sovereigns and 3k half sovereigns should cover the gold. Well on the way with the silver stack which is all 1oz coins/bars. Hoping to get a 40/60 split on the stack.

11. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

My advice is to buy half and full sovereigns provided you can purchase them around spot + 3 or 4 %.
    If you have enough cash to buy one ounce the cheapest coins are the Krugerrand and there are dealers selling at spot plus 2%
    These same dealers will buy back at spot or 98% spot so shop around.
    Take into account the cost of Special Delivery which can often be the same for one or 20 coins at a time.
    Atkinsons often has good prices but can be a little expensive on shipping and they add VAT to postage.
    Always look at the "net landed cost" before ordering and when comparing sellers.
    Join the UK section of SS

12. JamesG

JamesG Member Silver Stacker

How Best to stack Gold, everyone seems to have a there own individual way.

My way not the best, but it works for me as i find stacking gold in 1oz coin forms or in lesser fractional gold Australian $200 gold coin( 10g of 22ct gold) or sovereigns( 7.98g of 22ct gold) is a good start.

Easy to sell and most dealers would stick there hands up to buy them back. At the end of the day all stackers here would like a product that they can on sell quickly. I find these sizes are the most liquid to sell.

hope this helps

James

13. gary3029

gary3029 New Member

Cheers for the advice. Have started buying some small sovereigns. Contacted atkinsons and they said their premium is 3% above spot, but they do have deals on when moving stock and margins can be smaller. Postage is an issue as it wipes out savings on small orders. As I live fairly close by will plan to pick up most of my orders.