Is copper another commodity worth looking into?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Brettaz, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Brettaz

Brettaz New Member

I having been talking to a friend about my new investment in silver. He has suggested that copper is paying even better and the for-casts are expected to boom too.

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Depends on what you expect the future to hold... good times = great for copper, tough times = bad for copper

3. gbickle

gbickle Member

what exactly does he mean by paying better? .... copper is up 10% last two months and Silver is over 30% AUD

4. Brettaz

Brettaz New Member

I just think he may have spoken to some people he knows and they have given him they're advice. Probably not to well founded but thought it was worth looking into. I shall continue to look however I have not been sold yet. Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated :)

5. silvstack

silvstack Member

arguably some precious metal contracts are paper, thus the credence here, "if you don't hold it you don't own it." when the contracts fail people with physical silver will retain their holdings.

but i wonder if that applies to copper. perhaps copper isn't as valuable or sought after and not as subject to market manipulation so why stack physical copper and not just trade paper and electronic copper?

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Ive wondered why you can buy precious metal near spot but cant get copper anywhere close even buying busbar .It doesnt make sense .Anyone got an idea why ? Whos going to be the first to say manipulation ?

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's much more valuable if you buy it on a big roll as wire, wrapped in plastic insulation to keep it warm :)

8. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Your not wrong ive bought a few rolls in my time

9. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I have been scrapping a bit of copper (from electronics) lately and wondering if its worth melting down myself, as the scrap yards only paying a pittance ($6.50 per kg).

Mind you this is all they are offering for pure copper wire, insulated cable is much less.

I sure like the idea of pouring my own copper rounds, just even if only for the experience.
    But from what has been said here, with the premium they are asking, perhaps there might be a market for bullion copper yet .. who knows.

10. phynixbullion

phynixbullion Member

What about selling it how difficult is it to sell ?

11. Howiefied

Howiefied New Member

Quite a few copper stackers up my way. They helped themselves to all my electrical wiring while i was building, then the copper gas pipe and my hot water system to boot lol

12. Guest

Guest Guest

This.

I'd only consider buying copper if it was a reasonable price over spot. The only way to do this (as far as I can gather) is to buy it in the form of building material... There was this one specific building part that a stacker posted here a year ago that looked fantastic value for money

Wish I could remember what it was.

13. null

null Member

A bit silly, but I have been trying to save all 5, 10, 20 cents where possible. Reason being it's 75/25 CU/NI, and legal tender to boot. If I feel like spending it, I can easily currently spend it at face value and it's more than the metal value (so no loss). But it's real value fluctuated according to the underlying CU/NI.

There may come a time when these coins I think may be phased out just like the 1,2 cents. I am picking on time lines here, but back in sep 2007, these coins came close to 1:1 face to metal value. If you consider that it costs to mint them, and transport them from mint to bank for use, etc, then surely they are worth more than just their face value.

Who knows, I might find a wavey 20cents in the mix one day...

[​IMG]

14. CDNstacker

CDNstacker New Member

Canadian Pennies. being 98% Cu is a great investment. but only 1996 and earlier, however still tons around.