Convincing family and friends about PM

Discussion in 'Silver' started by JollyKillBill, Sep 29, 2012.

1. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

I bet you sleep a lot better at nights. :(

Regards Errol 43

Ladybird. by way do you ever see any silver coins from the Faukland Islands?. I think they may well be minted in GB!

Regards Errol 43

2. MacAg

MacAg Member

Great thread, good topic, some excellent posts.

I've given up on 'convincing' friends and family about it. If the opportunity arises in conversation I try to spark an interest in it. Some have shown interest, if not, I don't push it. Saying that, my sister has now made her first purchase towards her stack from a fellow SSer. My nieces and nephew now get 1oz silver bullion for their birthdays. I tell them it is worth the same as the yellow plastic note I used to give them, and this way they can be their 'own' bank and save it for when they are older. They liked that idea.

My best mates know that I stack, but no one knows how much. Bad idea. My closest friend is moments away from borrowing a HUGE amount of fiat to buy a box apartment in central Sydney. I've tried everything to sway the decision. He accepts the fact that he will be paying off this loan until after his funeral. Not a life plan in my opinion. He is of the 'crowd' that the property will perpetually increase in value. I'm not about to ruin the best friendship I've ever had by going on about it.

At the end of the day as long as I am taking care of me and my loved ones then the stacking strategy keeps me happy and lets me sleep at night. I have found that worrying about everyone else and the herd mentality only drives me to distraction. And that's not a good life plan either.

3. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

That should be your cue to not bother any further

4. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

This is the part most of the Ag numnutz miss ... they'll tell you they've lost x amount because the price dropped x amount... :lol:

hey Ernster - how you Bud? :lol:

5. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

** just imagining you in a nice set of heels .... ** :p

6. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

given that it's supposed to be a medium to long term investment, what would the problem be?

7. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

you'll be lookin like a genius compared to him pretty soon :lol:

8. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

sounds as if your bro is a nutter for sure

9. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Basically all of this.

With my family my approach has been to:
    (a) buy them all a small amount of silver for Christmas and in the card provide them with a brief message about why I thought it was a valuable present and basic procedures about how to go sell it if they wished to get fiat to buy their own present.
    (b) for the one or two who I know have actually had some physical (gifts from 20-30 years ago or whatever) I have done small additional things by talking about the likely current value (to which they go "Wow") combined with short spiel about reasons why the purchasing power has improved.

Remember that most people are in a different phase of life and hence stacking is not suitable for some in your family. My mum actually sold her gold coins a year or two ago to pay out her remaining debts before retirement so that her super + few hours work a month are enough.

10. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you"

The fastest way to create disdain, envy and future problems in my experience. A bit like giving racing tips to non-gamblers. If they win they're happy if they lose it's your fault. If you explain why it's a good idea you're a conspiracy doom and gloomer. You're challenging their comfort zones most times. If you end up right and they lose all whilst you prosper they'll hate you for it.

I keep it general - hate the banks, protect yourself with real assets is about the extent of my contributions these days.

11. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

So how did that convincing family and friends to get into PMs work out ?

12. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mine told me to go to buggery.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Good. No one bought any so no ones angry at me :)

14. Makro

Makro New Member

Took me a while to convince my wife( shes the only one I "had" to as she is my wife) at first she thought I was wasting our money, but then I bought some beer and peed infront of her. I then took a silver oz I had and took her with me when I sold it, and explained this one coin made us 4.85ish.
    she just had to wrap her head around the fact its a form/type of savings account that we cant have stolen by the bank or government, it cant be frozen, hard for anyone other than us to know how much we have and how we spend it, we just have a high/low restrictions. Most ppl don't want to step out of their comfort zone, they are sheeple!!!
    other than my wife who I married till the day I die(when SHTF she is my right hand man, she will be finding me the rocks to throw) id keep my mouth shut..less ppl know the less they can tell and I don't want ppl knocking my door down if things go south or even the wrong person found out. might I add I opened my mouth a bit...she researched it her self.

15. Ernster

Ernster New Member

ROFL ah Yippee.....some things never change.

Ever heard of buy low and sell high?

Even a monkey can work out "buy low" :lol:

16. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Let 'em starve!

17. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A bold strategy Makro. Last time I did something like that I took an ashtray to the head