Career Change

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Lunty, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Lunty

Lunty New Member Silver Stacker

I'm 30 years old, I have served 10 years in the defence force for the army as a truckie. In that time I have been a driver, bulk fuel operator, driver instructor, transport manager and have done 2 overseas tours, been all over Australia. I have spent alot of time away from home, I have done some amazing things and have loved every mintue of it :lol: , but my time is coming to an end due 2 reasons,
    1 posting cycle.......I do not wish to drag my parter and myself away from home and family in Brisbane.
    2 I want a new challenge and to be doing something that I'm passionate about ie, precious metals

So if you were in my shoes armed with aspirations, drive and ambition, no experience in PM but loved the stuff and want to work in the industry, what would be your dream job, ie mining, refining, minting or buying/selling? Any ideas on a reasonable place to start? ie tafe, uni, work experience.

I'm stuck with where to start and thought I'd put it out there if anyone has any ideas to contribute.

GP if you are looking for a fulltime bullion cleaner, I'm your man :p

Cheers Lunty

PS I think a job like this would be a way good to get to know the industry for retail.

http://ninemsn.seek.com.au/Job/office-all-rounder-sales/in/sydney-sydney/23204831

2. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I personally regard ADF experience very highly as it tells alot about the person in terms of commitment and service.I actually employed an ex serviceman in a previous business of mine and his transition was incredibly successful and he brought a different dimension and drive to our team.

On a recent personal note.My son will be doing final assessment within weeks to try and score the position of Artillery-Air Defender.

I wish you well Lunty and thankyou for serving our country for 10 years.

3. Lunty

Thank you Kawa and good luck to your son.
    Lunty

4. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

You could go and work for a bullion dealer in Brisbane, see if you like the trade. There are at least 2 here now.

5. Lunty

That would be a great start if I could get my foot in the door because one day I would love to become a Bullion dealer with my own shop and bars if I was to go down that path. Thanks

6. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

FIFO of a goldmine...work as a truckdriver, keep a keen eye out in the pit for any raw gold you see.

7. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If interested in any TAFE courses you would probably be able to claim unit credits for recognised prior learning for your relevant army experience. This will make quals in any courses easier to obtain.

8. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

You could try becoming a geologist.

9. Lunty

Great plan, now I just need to find a goldmine right near Brisbane :lol:

Cheers mate.

10. Lunty

Very good idea and I have been looking at it and feel like I would enjoy it as a new career. Thanks mate.

Lunty

11. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A dying breed.
    Get yourself tuned up & the world is your oyster.

Geolist is $$$$$$$$ waiting to happen.

A pure form of science with 100000 years of proven background.....

12. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I would recommend some time working as a generalist for a while.

Perhaps check out a number of charitable works - see where your interests and passions lie.

It's been my view that people are so 'career' obsessed, or as equally as obsessed with the concept of a 'job for life' that they forget what actually makes them happy.

If you are going to look at a new career or life direction - you owe it to yourself to make sure you spend the time to explore what you feel like doing. That sounds like a somewhat blase attitude to take, but its important you are comfortable with your new direction.

If your interested in social work or human services, I'd be happy to help if I can,

Cheers,

RD

13. Lunty

Thank you to everyone who has replied with ideas and help.
    This is why this forum is still a great place, because of people who care and help others.
    (not greed and money)

Cheers Lunty

14. PowPowCombo

PowPowCombo Member

Greed & Mulla... - Well I was going to suggest an Australian 'Ben Baller' (American Celebrity Jeweller)

http://www.shockmansion.com/2012/09...-reality-show-insane-bling-will-you-watch-it/

Anyway, I discharged from the Navy after 5 years in January this year @ 27. Was the best decision I ever made and am loving life! I used what the defence force offered (benefits and time) before I actually walked through the gangway the final time.

You are in a great position: Book yourself into a transition seminar (if haven't been to one already), is a little bit of 'death by power point' but it will give you ideas and things to consider before leaving that you may not have 'ticked' the box for already. (ie. you can get 14 biz days paid work experience - could hit up a mine. I used it to work in a trading firm (futures trading) and haven't left :) )

There is also a program (name escapes me atm) where the defence force will subsidise a course of your choosing (all comes down to the wording on the application form to suit you and them; the regulator) I'd check it out with your transition cell (wealth of knowledge), if you're an AJ in Brissie I believe there is one @ Enoggera.

Also there's nothing stopping you from starting a biz (hobby) whist still enlisted in the defence force, just don't use the DRN for your own means in that respect or sell the armouries weapons...

All the Best!

15. Dabloodymess

Dabloodymess Active Member

I dont have any career advice to offer Lunty, just wanted to wish you good luck!

If it comes to it chase the dream rather than the dollars...

16. selfcentered

selfcentered New Member

Join the QPS and hunt down the scumbags that steal from stackers!

They like ex ADF

17. Clawhammer

^^^^
    After a while everyone gets used to you not being around and then everyone forgets who you are.

My 2nd job after coming out of uni and being trained was an exploration job that went on forever, and when I got back, I was a stranger in my own life.

It was like I was dropped off in the desert ...and that's where I stayed.

There's nothing glamourous about being a geologist. Despite all the rumours about you making a tonne of money the truth is (unless you're in a top position) machinery operators make more than you...and for less stress effort and return on investment.

Exploration is dirty, lonely and dangerous. It's all about getting from A to B without getting hurt or sick, and if you see any rocks on the way, well that's just a bonus.

Mine work is with the roughest, toughest nastiest people. Those for whom drilling is the last step before Jail. I've had police 4wd's pull up on my rigs to arrest driller offsiders on numerous ocassions for crimes they've been tracked down for.

And after you finally go home and have a break from it all, you're stuck with the reality than in a few short days you have to go back...and that last day is HELL. It's like going back to prison.

That's why they pay so much...that's why they can't hold onto people.

18. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

My wife's uncle is an experiencd geologist, he flies from oil rig to oil rig, analysing drilling samples and advising which way they should drill next.

He spends a LOT of time away from home.
    He makes a shite load of money.

19. Clawhammer

^^^^
    You should always drill downwards :lol:

20. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

I am a geologist, but thank goodness I am office based. My family would disintegrate with a FiFo job, and who wants to live on a mine in the middle of nowhere with the kids and wife?

They don't call them FiFoF#@$-ups for nothing.....