When will the penny drop ?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by southerncross, Sep 19, 2012.

1. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With the Gumints/Feds race to devalue currency's worldwide and the copious amounts of hopium being pumped into markets in an attempt to keep the illusion of liquidity alive what are peoples thoughts on how long it will take for Joe sixpack to wake up to the hopelessness of the situation. If ever ?

Do you think it will be a gradual flickering of the flame with a resigned communal sigh or a wham bam WTF moment?

I personally favour the latter as I see stupid people everywhere, one of the most recent being a project manager for a large upmarket housing development here, 18 months ago I asked him what he thought of the future for housing here and was he worried about the market. He literally laughed at me and said you couldn't fail in housing in Cairns if you tried. Saw him last week (our kids do gymnastics together) The company has folded with major debts, he was retrenched shortly before hand and his canal front house is worth less than what he paid for it three years ago. His new job ? selling realestate at a less upmarket project.

Do you think most people have even an inkling of what is coming ?

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

SX, I was in brisvegas the other day, and while I was sitting at Central station waiting for the Airtrain to take me to that big 'ole jetairliner, I was wondering the same thing. I was early for the train by about 15min and as I watched carriage after carriage pull in, I pondered a few things. namely:

- I wonder how many of those people with their heads bowed intently studying their phones or listening to music actually know what is happening

- I wonder if any of those hundreds of people that passed by me briefly are Stackers

- am I insane? And this last question has crossed my mind a number of times. :/

Edit to add: so to answer your question, no.

3. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

MMMshiney, Sounds normal to me. I think your ok. :lol:

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Yes ironwood, but are you sane? :D

5. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

i heard long time ago that an insane person would never even wonder if he/she is insane so you must be allright

6. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know what you mean shiney, I remember very clearly when I first woke up so to speak about what was happening and what money actually is.

I went to a major Westfield shopping center here in Brisi and everything looked different. I looked at people differently and thought the same as you. Do these people rushing around like little ants to all these shops trying to find some new shoes, dresses, handbags, gadgets really know what money is. I literally look at currency as pieces of paper with pretty pictures on them now. Most people can't see the forest from the trees. Im not sure if its ignorance or stupidity but im sure they can feel something just aint right.

Us stackers are a different breed of people, we should be giving ourselves a pat on the back for at least opening up our minds and adopting a different way of thinking. I wish I was stacking way back in 2008 or earlier but IMO we are all still way ahead of the curve as I think here in the land of Oz 99% of people are still in a very deep sleep.

SS77

7. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

I've often wondered what other people look at on their phones.

I read articles, never play games or mess around, just constantly read about economics and 'big picture' news.

When i'm feeling cynical, i assume no-one around me does the same. When i'm feeling a bit more forgiving I wonder if there are plenty of people like me, just keeping to themselves, knowing it is all going to sh#t.

8. ironwood

Maybe not but at least were all in the same boat. :p

9. southerncross

Shiney et al, It would be funny..... if it wasn't so accurate. I ponder the same thing quite a lot recently, ( not just if I am insane) but while shopping or taking the kids for a play in a park I find myself looking at people and wondering if they have any idea of what is coming.

Like do they realise what Bernanke did last week or the Japanese central bank did today ? Are people aware of just what is going on in the Straits of Hormuz at the moment?

Or is it just a case of what somebody on facebook you went to school with and haven't seen for 10 years that posted a picture of what they cooked for dinner on the weekend is more interesting ? Or X fuktor, Big Brother, Dr Dill, Farmer needs a Turtle, or some other mindless piece of crap...

Is it just me ? Do others feel the need to kick koshies head in each morning or swear at the fabians on ABC while searching for Almost naked animals ?

10. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

^ haha it's like you have a portal into my head

11. southerncross

Scary ???

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLAPeirIZCA[/youtube]

(Edited to add) Makes more sense than Koshie or any of the other crap.

12. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

SC. Maybe we too are stupid..I often think Why the hell didn't I know about silver 10/12 years ago when it was $4 oz?

I was too busy worrying about fiat/material goods.

At least I started stacking silver when it was $14oz but just think of what might have been if I was better informed then.

Like it was pointed out to me previously you can't cry over spilt milk.

There must be more people becoming aware surely for when I joined SS there was only 250 members if I recall. Now there are over 5000 and have a look at visitor numbers.

I had a laugh in the city the other day, with a store offering $20 trade in on a new hand bag.

Regards Errol 43

13. ironwood

Yea. Unfotunately hindsights 20/20.

14. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

Most people are too busy drug dealing on their phones to notice much else going in the world.

Whilst the prevalence of drug dealing may be of concern, reality is not something that concerns most people and never will, thanks to the drugs.

15. southerncross

We might be stupid errol but we aint dumb. The population is what 26 million here? 6000 wouldn't even measure as a gnats foreskin (or vulva just to be equitable). My concern is not those who are stacking , even those who are just getting in now at the current price are way ahead of the game but more so the total mass of humanity that are completely unaware of just what is being perpetrated against them by willing participants of the political and financial hegemony.

Even here in the stacker world there are still people who play the paper and realestate game, albeit fore armed and more knowledgeable than most but still prone to getting whacked in the ass without the benefit of vaseline.

My sense of surrealism comes more from mixing in a world of what most people see and live as an actual reality. They just do not have a clue, they don't know who Bernanke is, they dont know the price of Iron ore, they think QE is some sort of sunscreen rating. They trust the government and banks! They buy the whole "there has never been a better time to buy" real estate mantra.

FFS who trades in a fucking handbag ? That right there should ring an alarm bell in your head that there is something seriously wrong with our society.

There is just so much happening right now that the vast majority are so far removed from and so unaware of and that directly affects everybody. The recent moves by central banks alone should have everybody up in arms as to their motives in the western world but it would seem that apart from protesting against the influence on their accustomed entitlements the only thing the people care about is who will provide the most benefits here and now rather than a real future for them and their children.

16. xALmoN

xALmoN New Member

who's bernanke again?

That said, i actually thought about investing in PMs about 2 years ago, but back then, I was with a high upkeep girlfriend, who did not work much, and would sponge off me, coming from a fairly traditional asian background, singaporean chinese actually. I had the chivalrous need to attend to her every need, including a 2600USD LV bag? At the expense of actually getting ahead in life, and actually suppressing most of my hobbies at the same time.

The last straw came when she pretended to be pregnant, and swindled me of more than a grand for an "abortion". Stupid I was, really dumb.

Anyway long story short, fast forward to this day, when i've finally been able to rebuild my savings, I'm putting some money into PMs.

But i've still got lots of catching up with what's going on around the world. I do pay attention to real estate prices though. Starting to try and understand how the world works, and what's going out behind everyone else's backs. Not too late to start i hope.

/TLDR

17. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Errol 43, I think we all are guilty of focusing on fiat/material goods at some point in our lives.

I too wish I was stacking back when silver was $4 oz but life was so different back then. It definately didn't have the world wide ecconomic turmoil that is going on now.

Why would we (general public) even had suspected any sly under the carpet moves by central banks. Today the world has changed and most people I think can feel something is different.

I personally have to thank technology like the internet and especially YouTube for waking me up and seeing the world for what it has become. Thats all I watch on YouTube now is clips on ecconomics, there is so much information on youtube that does not get any time from MSM and its so accessible now if you know what you are looking for.

I think the internet has changed the way this whole paradigm shift is going to take place. I often think when all this comes to a head and the sheeple find out they have been fleeced, they will be shocked if they ever eventually do a search on YouTube and find out all this information was out there years beforehand. All they had to do was not worry about what their friends had for dinner on facebook, do a little research and buy some physical silver.

Then they will be the ones saying hindsight is a b!tch

SS77

18. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good thread.....

Thanks & wee all see things thru a different mindset.

Have a great day.

19. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi SC, Do you actually watch Koshie? LOL. No offence.

20. Byron

Byron Guest

Good reading this thread.

Last weekend i had dinner with a bigshot in a large construction company in the population growth areas of NW Sydney. He built a property 3 years back that cost him almost $620k and could not sell it this year (asking $650k). So he took it off the market and is renting it. He reckons it will be a while before things get moving again 3+ years.

As for the other stuff. Imo half the time people use mobiles, ipads etc as a way of avoiding social contact with the people around them. Fair enough some people may say but if i'm waiting for a train or playing with my kid in the playground i find it nice to have a chat with another mature person now and then.

Many people are simply hopeless at communicating with strangers these days. Older and rural people are much better at it.

Most women under 35 automatically assume you want to violate them. :rolleyes: