Australia Post opened my mail

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by goldilox, Sep 13, 2012.

1. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just another one of your freedoms being taken away. Used to be a serious offense tampering with the mail, but now it's common place.

2. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

My 1oz gold snake arrived at Po box two days ago sent by a site sponsor. On box said must be signed for by my name.
    She scanned it and just handed it over. When I asked why I didn't have to sign she said it has been. Wtf

3. Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey Active Member

WTF!?
    :eek:

4. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like Italy.

5. worldbubble

worldbubble Active Member

I wonder what happens if you claim mail not delivered?

any insurance?
    may be when people start punishing this kind of behavior they'll think twice before dropping mail without following proper procedure

6. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

recently at the PO i signed for my mail and held on together with a rubber band was someone else's package, they gave me both. the other mail was registered also and if i hadn't handed it back it would have disappeared without a trace.

7. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

^ I know it's not nice but I lol'd ;)

8. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

actually when i was a kid i got a letter that had been opened by auspost and there was a very considerate note in there saying they had to dry my letter out because someone had urinated in the mailbox

9. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Had things like this happen to me a couple of times; no explanation ever.

10. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

i'm glad i know our local courier guys pretty well......this is how a parcel arrived at our place last week......

[​IMG]

11. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Auspost are 99% great but its the pesky 1% that gets sets our hearts a racing

12. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have tried fighting with Australia Posts legal team on many fronts but they have unlimited backing from the Commonwealth as well as a Monopoly on sending letters up to 250 grams and special rights under their own specific Acts

http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/dangerous-prohibited-goods-packaging-post-guide.pdf

Read page 15, 3.3 Bullion

Page 39, D9.2.2 Dangerous, prohibited or suspicious articles in the post

Australia Post can open, seize or destroy packages containing Dangerous goods but does not distinguish between prohibited goods and do so at their own discretion and under the special Acts granted to them by the Commonwealth

There needs to be a collective and co-ordinated petition against this if it's ever to change

13. Byron

Byron Guest

I remember receiving a sealed vacuum bag of roasted coffee beans from Vanuatu (perfectly legit quarantine wise).

The package had been opened, and the vacuum bag had been slashed open by a what looked like a razor blade/stanley knife (5 cm cut) and then sticky tape placed over the cut.

There was some note in there as well from customs/quarantine. Someone must have been bored that day.

Also had coffee sent from Canada and no problems.

14. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

Aus Post have also P*****D me off too. ..although not in regard to damaged /opened mail ,but by losing my mail completely
    Long story short: I Recently went on a trip to the north and paid for Aus Post to hold my mail till i returned.I notified them of return on 6 Sept and have not received mail I knew was coming ..3 calls to their "fixers" have not been enough to find my mail.

I feel like "Going Postal" :)

15. sando

sando New Member

6 Notes from an Australia Post Contractor-

a) Volumes are unimaginable for most people & shit happens
    e.g items get caught in machinery 0.001% & reliability of service seems to encourage many to have unrealistic expectations.

b) When i tape an item it has almost always been due to improper packaging.
    How many people give thought to thickness of envelopes or relative weight of item, to strength of package?

c) Do as i do when sending items - take responsibility for security of contents within package - register, insure & tape heavily!!

d) Make a point of introducing yourself to postman/parcel dude.
    It helps them put a face to otherwise meaningless ink.

e) Consider that when these people do a good job & go over & beyond whats required of them - NOBODY KNOWS OR CARES!!!!
    Every industry has wankers @ work, but like most industries, the majority are pretty darn good.

f) Just a thought - how many recall the reliable work of those who fulfill a significant role in keeping lives managable (bills, birthday gifts etc) , at Xmas time??
    Those who do STAND OUT BIG TIME, cos most rather whinge than express gratitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. sando

sando New Member

LET ME SHOW YOU HOW WRONG YOU WERE

Lumpy envelopes(improper packaging) damage million dollar auto-sort machinary.

The "nosy bastard" was trying to assist you in the following wayz -

a) ensure your item got to where its going
    b)protect you from a possible life affecting damages claim - wanna go against AP in court??
    c)It is his business - that`s what hes paid for

"SORRY WE MISSED YOU"
    Are you at home 24/7/365 ?
    Is it possible that the TV was on or that you were in the shower etc when there was a knock on the door??
    Did you ever ask for items to be left?
    Have you ever spoken(nicely) to your postman or parcel courier??

SAD SAD SAD

17. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

sando - I appreciate your posts, they provide a perspective we don't really get here, which is good.

But one suggestion - the best way to address an angry mob is not to shout at it and tell it that it is wrong.

Thanks though.

18. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

I think sando is a postie . Who needs a good hug from a thankful recipient . :p:

19. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No, he's paid to try to get me to spend an extra $14 on a service I don't need. If he really was trying to do all those things, he could have simply said "That lumpy envelope might well break some million dollar auto-sorting machinery, you really need to repackage it more securely".

If he'd said that I would have said "Oh okay, no problem", but instead he demanded to know what was in it and kept waiving some pre-paid padded envelope at me.

As it turned out, I did repackage it and I did manage to post it without spending the extra $14 and it did get to it's destination (presumably without taking out a sorting facility or two en route).

Do AusPost parcel couriers deliver 24/7/365?

No.

I'm keeping a running tally, so unless I'm just unlucky enough to have been relieving myself at the exact moment the parcel delivery contractor rang the doorbell for the last 18 packages in a row that people have mailed to me, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and suggest the delivery guy isn't trying to deliver stuff.

I've never actually seen my parcel delivery guy (on account of him never having attempted to deliver a parcel to me) but whenever I have registered letters, my regular postie somehow manages to walk the extra 2.3 meters from my mailbox to my doorbell and press the little intercom button to see if I'm home.

My regular postie's name is Sue, by the way. I like Sue. Sue has an 8 out of 9 success rate in getting my signature on registered mail items.

Look, I'd be perfectly happy to receive an auto-generated email from the online tracking system saying "There is a package waiting for you at the post office, pick it up any time you like" but what gives me the shits is having some bastard drive around with it in the back of his van all day and then lie to me in saying he tried to deliver it. He's now dropping the little "Sorry" card into my mail box not on they day he allegedly missed me but the following day and I know this because I can punch the tracking number into the AusPost website and see "On board with driver for delivery today" and then see the package turn up at the post office at exactly 4.35pm which is usually about 45 minutes after he supposedly tried to deliver it (regardless of whether I'm home or not). When I see the "...for delivery today" entry, I walk 15 mins to the post office so I'm there at about 4.35pm, show the tracking number on my iPhone's screen to the guy at the counter and collect my package. The "Sorry" card turns up the next day saying there was an attempted delivery at 10.30am on that day (the day after I've collected the package) and that I can pick it up from 4.30pm at the Post Office.

If I didn't use the online tracking system and actually believed the official notifications, it would take an extra day for me to get my package and I'd be trying to get it in the last half an hour before the Post Office closes when the place is jam packed full of other people who've been lied to about where their mail is and whether somebody has tried to deliver it or not.

And no, I don't feel like paying an extra $120 a year for privilege of having a PO box so I can save AusPost the bother trying to deliver the mail to my actual house. They can f***ing pay me for saving them the hassle or they can deliver the service they're being paid for in the first place.

20. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Get a PO Box.

I find it fairly convenient and a lot safer than a delivery contractor with care factor = 0 leaving stuff on the door step.