Australia Post opened my mail

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by goldilox, Sep 13, 2012.

1. goldilox

goldilox Member Silver Stacker

i received a platinum post package today, delivered to my PO box, that had been re-sealed with Australia Post tape ('repaired by Australia Post'). the wrapping inside the bag and the bubble wrap around my silver bars had also been opened and had the tape all over it. there is no explanation
    i can only assume it was Australia Post who opened the bag, because nothing was taken - but why did they do it? I am guessing they x-rayed it and thought it might be suss. i dont think it was a random search. i feel violated :mad:
    has this happened to any other stackers?

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Yes, I've had that just recently. Probably checking for bombs or condoms or Chico Babes or something. Don't feel violated. There was no indication that my package had actually been opened. I just reckon it was some schoolkids on work experience playing with the office stationary. You know, like a bunch of highschoolers wrapping up your house in "Crime Scene Do Not Cross" tape just for a joke.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Were the contents sufficiently packaged to have avoided accidental packaging damage? Or did it just appear to have been opened and resealed?

4. mmm....shiney!

My box was in good condition, no damage, after all, it was only posted from north qld. :/

5. goldilox

the original seal on the platinum post bag is intact so whoever opened it must have torn the bag. the bag had a lot of newspaper in it to pad it out. the bars themselves were wrapped in thick newspaper. the newspaper didnt seem ripped or damaged ... but there was a lot of tape around the newspaper enclosing the bars and it was kind of a wtf moment so i cant say for sure.

6. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australia Post wanted to open my mail today when I tried to post a DL envelope registered and the guy at the counter noticed it was a bit lumpy.

"You'll have to open it and use this prepaid satchel instead. What's in it?"

"None of your f***ing business actually. I'll repackage it at home and post it somewhere else".

First time I've been downright rude to AusPost but what with the ongoing "Sorry We Missed You" card issue and this nosy bastard at the counter today trying to get an extra $14 out of me to post a letter (yes, I know the difference between a letter and a parcel and so does the AusPost website) I'm surprised I lasted this long.

7. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Had some contract docs delivered last week opened and resealed with aust post tape. At the time thought not much of it, but reading this im a bit sus now.

8. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

My partner shops a bit online. We got a parcel the other day with a 10cm hole ripped in it. And the inside packaging ripped through aswell, as if someone was having a peek inside. Glad it was only girly stuff

9. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Screw QE3, this is the scariest thread of them all

10. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Come on Dogmatic posties might murder you ,but I doubt they would stoop so low as to steal from you

11. Scope

Scope New Member

Most likely the satchel was damaged and Aus Post taped it back up for you. If they opened it to inspect, they use tape with the words "opened for inspection" (or words to the same effect).

12. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

i had a parcel from overseas repackaged.

I did not know it was repackaged until I opened it and found lots of damaged goods packaged in a good box.

Made a complaint to the seller and sent some pictures.

Seller had a shock of their life, not their box and they pointed out that invoice was taped on, not stuck on. Indicating tampering.

No way to trace auspost was responsible or someone else was. It was repackaged nicely.

13. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

If you send metal through the mail you have to expect PO workers to inspect some parcel/packets..They could be a danger to workers.

Regards Errol 43

14. goldilox

well to alleviate your concerns somewhat i can tell you aus post did not open the package after all. the seller let me know it was done by him in order to put an extra bar in after the bag had been sealed. he used the aus post tape himself. :lol:
    much relief from me

15. mmm....shiney!

PM sent plat

16. Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey Active Member

17. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

If you were a crook postal worker, wouldn't you take a metal detector over some parcels?

Set it to detect gold only.

The crime of the future perhaps. Plus Australia Post doesn't condone or insure posted PMs.

Not trying to freak anyone out, I've never heard if such a thing happening.

18. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

They may not condone PM's, but coins (numismatics) are ok.

19. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

You want scary?

Earlier this week my local parcel delivery subcontractor (who I've kicked off with before for the same issue) banged on my door, and was driving off halfway down the street in his van when I got to the door.

When I got to the door there were 2 packages left on my doorstep.

Both Platinum Signed for satchels, with a combined value of around 4-5k. Not much you might think, but imagine if someone had walked off with it.

No signature, just a knock and dump. THAT is scary.

Needless to say, he won't be delivering any more packages to me. I've had the same discussion with him before, and this time he's got me more than angry. I'm just biding my time...

20. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australia Post subcontracting out the delivery of parcels would be akin to the Australian Government subcontracting out border protection to Somali Pirates. Sure it'd keep the dollar costs down but come on