Silver proof british crowns

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Saxamadmac, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Saxamadmac

Saxamadmac New Member

I've been collecting British silver proof crowns for about a year off ebay, all have boxes and certs. I've always managed to get them quite near to spot price with delivery charges and see it as a good way to invest due to silver value and numismatic value too.
    All the crowns are QE2 from about 1972 up to 2010.
    Does anyone have any views on this.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are they sterling?

I have a few boxed proof crowns (Jubilee I think). I also picked them up for around spot, can you see the pattern?!

Not much numismatic value as they are not that rare and if you are picking them up for spot and that includes delivery then I think that is an indicator of how valuable they are as an investment. No one else that was bidding was willing to pay more than the scrap value of the coins.

If a coin from 1972 hasn't gone up much higher than spot then it is worth no more than a modern bar of silver. In fact as it was probably sold at a premium originally then it has actually lost value over the years.

Plus the boxes take up too much space.

I think if you like them they are good value but as an investment I wouldn't hold out much hope for them...

3. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Love the old ones.. After i got the modern CuNi one i didnt want to see newer ones.. Schitt she must be ugrying up those coins (QUEYii)

Love the Goerge III, William IV, VIC Young, Bun and Jub head..

Love crowns.. dont love modern crowns.. also didnt even know they exist to be honest.

1for1

4. Jislizard

I have a few of the CuNi crowns denominated at 5.

Are they still considered crowns?

I remember you could get a 5 coin for 5, no mark up other than the obvious paying 5 for 50p worth of metal and a bit of cardboard.

I have the Queen Mother's 80th Birthday coin and a few others but really they are not worth anything!

I only really like the Winston Churchill coin, do they do that in silver? That I would like.

5. Saxamadmac

Saxamadmac New Member

yep they are all sterling, i get them cause all the coin shops here in blighty have the 20% vat slapped on them and this is one way that i find i can get hold of silver as close to spot as i can, i know its not .999 but you've gotta try your best. I got stung on the 1 kilo dragon this year then the price dropped, so 20% premium and price drop in silver. But i still like the coin. you live and learn

6. Jislizard

Sure, you have to start somewhere and at least the crowns are easily recognised!

I used to see a few at boot fairs and I also picked up the shillings etc at the same place. Much better as they are cheaper from private sellers.

7. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

If you can get sterling proofs in excellent condition near spot then it is a nice hobby.
    Some coins are quite stunning, especially mirrored finish and much better looking than many 999 bullion coins.
    They should track silver but dealers will often pay very little so back to eBay if selling or maybe swaps in the European section.
    Everything read on this forum points to stacking fine silver i.e. 999 and 9999 not 925.
    The one exception is the silver Britannia which is between fine and sterling but this always seems to be a hot coin.