Whats your plan If Silver goes Parabolic Again?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ernster, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Hopefully we all learnt a valuable lesson last year when Silver blasted to $48 then crashed. Next time I hope I'm smart enough to go with my gut and sell some metal or swap into Gold.

Just wondering whats your plan?

What price will you sell some of your metal? I'm thinking $60-$70

Do you think it blast through $50 this time?
    Do you plan on swapping some for Gold?

If so how easy is the process? Will most dealers say yes and how much do they profit off the swap? I'm guessing straight swaps aren't possible with dealers, unless you do it privately instead.

Geez too many questions :p

Thanks

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

sell at $75 buys at $35 :) simple :lol:

3. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

If you plan to do swaps you will always take a hit, better SS members as at least the hit can be spread evenly unlike dealers which are just one sided (you take a hit when you sell one metal and you take another hit when you buy)

4. R1dh0

R1dh0 New Member

wait and see........ don't rush :)

5. damien192x

damien192x New Member

Probably sell it all and buy a house, my parents think I am an idiot for having thousands of ounces of useless metal.
    When I think about it, it is stupid. But its been a good investment as it's doubled but it's still gambling.

Hopefully I can somehow sell it easily. How do you sell it and where? Can you sell it all in one hit, or will I have to put them on ebay in batches? because that's going to take a long time. :S

6. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perth Mint, or just swap it for a house with a willing trader. Mind you if the housing market follows the examples of the U.S, U.K etc you might only need to swap or sell half the amount.

7. damien192x

damien192x New Member

Well it already has followed the US. I am aware of people in this industry telling me it is bad on all fronts HOWEVER the media are being paid to talk/revive confidence. It's all fake numbers though, If you offer 40% lower than the price you see online and keep doing that you have a strong chance of getting a house cheap.

Just find some bogan with a crap skillset aka factory work who has been fired and borrowed to buy 3 houses. Can't afford to service debt! Has to sell cheap. My brother has been doing a lot of this, there are so many idiots who have no job and are all debt. Bricks and mortar.. can't go wrong, until you do! LOL!!

That's what happens when you take investment advice from A Current Affair and the fat aussie home loans dude.

8. Levant

Levant New Member

My plan this time is to swap back to gold starting at gsr 40ish and finishing as close to 30 as I can get...

9. dex

dex Active Member Silver Stacker

lol swapping silver out at 60-70??
    I'd be very surprised if it went that high, but who wouldnt?
    Also, what would i know? But $60, im not so sure we're ready to see that price for silver, wouldnt it send the retail market into havoc? and they do want us to keep spending...
    It could make the jump now though its a nice trend, could happen later.
    I dont have enough silver for this big of a jump yet.
    5-10 years 8 as a good figure and im happy to see it go to the moon. I want 27 again :D

10. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I am not picking an arbitary number.

I am looking at what precious metals are worth, in relation to other assets. This will tell me when to sell.

How much of a house does 1oz of silver?
    How much of a piece of land does 1oz of silver buy?
    How much of the ASX200 does 1oz of silver buy?

11. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Yes I agree but I don't mean your final Selling point, more of a sell then buy back later at a cheaper price. Silver isn't going to go straigh up in a line until the end.

12. Ernster

Ernster New Member

I'm addicted to the shine and weight and being a pirate with me treasurez :p

13. Ag-ness

Ag-ness Member

Me too. I do love the jingly clinkyness of it all. :)

14. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

You should only be holding physical silver in preparation for monetary doomsday.
    So when you ask "what's the plan?" for physical, it is "I am going long long long!".
    If you want to trade the ups and downs, then you should be buying paper silver because it's easy in, easy out.

15. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Not convinced it matters whether you hold gold or silver.
    Gold has also had its ups and downs and whether you make a profit or loss depends on timing and if you actually sell as opposed to a virtual paper profit.
    If gold rises soon, as some analysists predict, then silver will likely follow but the converse is also true if gold falls for some weired political reasons.
    My strategy is to buy both, gold if I can afford it and silver to add to coin collections only.

16. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It won't be silver going to 60-70 that will cause the retail market into havoc. It'll be the retail market going into havoc that will have precious metals (Silver and Gold are moving together don't forget) possibly rise as a consequence. However I would not be surprised if the causal line of thinking gets misused/abused by the powers to be in the future. When gold was at significant highs previously, there were media articles touting Gold as some sort of threat to the US$ as though it was Gold that was threatening the mighty US$ rather than that ever weakening piece of paper giving cause for people to safehaven buy gold. Silver is poor cousin of gold so should silver reach 60-70, gold will also be back at historical highs.

What concern me is what will be happening in the world CAUSING silver and gold to be back at those historical highs? If silver and gold are on the move north again, which of the ugly rumblings we hear occurring around the world will become the metaphorical financial earthquake?

17. KMGeneral

KMGeneral Member

/agree
    My girlfriend is convinced that I'm part Dragon :p
    Personally I think that I'm part Leprechaun :D

18. Guest

Guest Guest

$60-$70? I'm not selling at these levels. When it's clear to everyone the US dollar is trash then I'll consider selling.

I'm happy to wait for money to flood into real commodities. Maybe at $100 current purchasing power I'll sell a bit.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

My rough plan is to wait for gold to hit $5,000 then get out of silver.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Same as always, stack long, cost average physical. I started buying at $15 US, was still buying at $48 US and will still be buying at $70 too.

If I wanted to play short term markets for profit, I'd rather play the stockmarket - it's less manipulated IMHO and that's saying something.

As long as they are still using worthless fiat to buy money, I don't think I'd like to 'sell' my money for paper unless I had no choice or the metal I sold was to gain more ounces (ie cash in on premium silver to get more silver - I have a number of 1oz Lunars I'm considering swapping for simply more ounces)

How long is a piece of string?

That said, if you understand and appreciate the fundamentals on either silver use/supply or the model of fiat currency, then a rise above $50 at some point really is inevitable.

Whether it'll happen next time or the time after how can you honestly say? The market manipulators have spot on a remote control as they please.

That's actually a really tough one. There's many reasons why you'd want to hold onto your silver in the event of a GSR gap closing, most likely because the masses become more aware on the practical applications for silver (the commodity vector) and drive up the price.

That said, I also strongly believe if you want to increase your gold holdings down the road then you buy SILVER today and swap on the GSR as the gap closes.

When silver was last at 55:1 I did swap 55 oz for an ounce of gold and with is roughly 52:1 today, I'm slightly behind on the trade.

Would I prefer my silver back in this situation? Not sure to be honest. The moment I pick up that 1oz of pure 9999 gold in my hand... I get all woozy :)

Looking ahead though, I'd say if you want gold down the track, then you buy silver today. I think if it gets back to 15:1 or less, it'll be a much tougher choice to make.

I'm more likely to trade privately with trusted dealers if anything and only those who will operate for cash and/or metal swaps.

My last GSR metal swap with Aurora was smooth and painless. Having a good dealer you can trust is invaluable in that situation I think.