Milk Spot Question

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jackee_Silver, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Jackee_Silver

Jackee_Silver New Member

Hey everyone,

Pretty new here and just had a quick question regarding milk spots. I've noticed that a couple of libertads from a larger stack I bought recently have some faint milk spots. It's difficult to see except in certain light - tilting the coin etc. Do I need to contain the coins in question or are milk spots just a part of the annealing mint process?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

( :

2. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

i used to think milk spots are bad ... until it happened to my mint coin. Perth mint coins.

So, I think it is just the part and parcel with buying silver coins. If you don't want spots, buy paper silver, you won't have to deal with physical imperfections.

3. Jackee_Silver

Jackee_Silver New Member

Actually I'm not to fussed about it. I'm a big fan of the Japanese Wabi Sabi aesthetic of beauty in the ephemeral and imperfect. I just figured from a stacking point of view - if it's something that can spread to other coins, I should probably try keep those affected separate - but if it can't spread, I won't stress...

4. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

I don't think it spreads.

It is more of the chemical impurity that reacts with air. Similar to how toning naturally happens.

But it is an annoying thing because toning can be reversed easily but not milk spots.

5. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Numerous posts on this forum dealing with milk spots notorious on Maples and other Canadian Mint products.
    Just have to accept I am afraid.
    I think the cause is due to detergents or chemicals like Borax used in the pressing process that are not rinsed properly as the hot coins dry.