Where to Buy Silver and Gold in Las Vegas and L.A.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by silversange, Aug 20, 2012.

1. silversange

silversange Member

Hi all

I was hoping someone could tell me which mint or dealers are worth doing business with buying gold/silver bars and coins around Las Vegas and L.A. area.

Im there for one week and have no idea where to start looking for someone with a great reputation.

Is there a limit on how much I can bring back to Australia and would it come under the $10,000 dollar rule (needs to be declared) and is GST and Duty payable????

Any info will be much appreciated

THX

2. 97guns

97guns New Member

i was just in the LA area last week and came up dry. every dealer wanted to charge tax on anything less than $1500, we yelped the local shops to see what kind of reviews they got but when we went to the store they had packed up and left, yelp was not updated at all.

i dont go to las vegas but reno nevada is my favorite place for shops, no tax on bullion but tax on numismatics. that is a state tax code so las vegas should be the same. i find a lot of old silver in the reno/carson shops, good luck

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I too will be in Vegas for a week and I am definitely considering dropping into this shop - saharacoins.com

One of the problems with all (?? ) USA PM outlets is they don't accept our non-USA registered credit cards, so you need to pay cash or bank wire transfer.

4. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

could try the gold and silver pawn shop ( famous for the tv show pawn stars)

5. rhinosilver

rhinosilver New Member

6. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

under the $10,000 dollar rule??

If you mean $1000 rule for items posted - the rule is different for stuff that accompanies you.

I understand there is no tax on most PM so it may not be an issue,
    but check with ATO / Customs to be safe.

7. silversange

silversange Member

Thanks all for your feedback.

I'll check out all the suggested dealers.

Also good advice on the Nevada state tax. Is the 0% state tax on everything else for sale (cloths, shoes, cars, food) in Nevada or just 0% for bullion. Are you able to tell me what the state tax is in California.

Once again thanks for all your advice........ now I need to work out the tipping custom in the US.

Cafe/Restaurant - 15% to 20% ?
    Taxi - 15% to 20% ?
    Hotel Maid - $1 to $2 a night on the pillow ?
    Tour Guides - $5 ?

8. Ryaneod

Ryaneod New Member

I might not be the norm, but I don't tip the hotel maid unless I just trash the room. Food Servers 15-20 and taxi 15-20 is spot on. Also in Vegas a lot of people are going to expect tips. Don't tip someone just because they opened a door for you. They will try to get it out of you. The smart thing to do is order some rounds online, and have it shipped to your hotel so you are there when it arrives. That way you might get out of the state sales tax. I order from silvertowne.com usually and the one time I went there, I wasn't happy having to pay state sales tax on top of the regular price and only order from them online now and have it delivered out of state. (which I live out of their state)

9. 97guns

97guns New Member

sales tax varies by county in california, expect to be paying 9-10% sales tax. im pretty sure the 0% tax in nevada is for bullion only,
    sales tax is around 6% there.