Any copper stackers?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Ag-ness, Apr 25, 2011.

1. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it's just the fun of it.
    if your scrapping it from cables or tv's, then it's probably free and copper stacks just as high as silver or gold, if gold dropped to $6kg, I bet everyone would all of a sudden have a bit more space to fit it all in, well copper is $6kg and it's free.

The local meat shop has pork leg & shoulder roast for $4.99kg, if they started giving it away free, people would rampage the store, would be madness, yet poor old copper, $6kg.. sits on the footpath awaiting landfill and no one cares less, I love it.

everyone should have a tonne of copper in the shed I reckon, couldn't hurt, be great to look at, like a mini fort knox.

2. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

if you think economy is gonna be good stack copper cause copper is used in building a lot; while silver/gold is more if you think its gonna be bad stack silver/gold. China is going to be using less and less now so no point in stacking copper now i reckon.

3. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

When people freak out they phone a friend.

Copper wires are prone to plenty of WTF JARGON events.
    All copper wire eventually needs to be replaced due to breaking down, thanks to electricity.

If you are going to stack copper, you are best to stack various gauge cable and wires. Instantly liquid in many industries during good or bad times and can be personally used for your own DIY projects. The only copper I stack on a serious level is cable and wire, then sheets, then blocks.

- Electrical insulated copper cable, rated 240v 10amp. Go for brands popularly used in the electrical trade (wiring houses).
    - Get copper pipes used for plumbing.
    - Get copper radiators (whether for computer or heat exchange unit)
    - Get copper sheet.
    - Get copper RHS.
    - Get copper solder.
    - Get some 30cm cube solid blocks, good size for milling little things.

4. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

^^^ However, you pay a premium for fabricated copper. Just like you pay a premium for Kooks and ASEs. No surprise.

Only you can weigh up whether to pay premium for 1/10ozt Roos or merely getting the 1ozt Roo.
    Analogy sink in?

5. miniroo

free is best, I can melt it into anything I want, maybe even a statue of me!
    if I get enough of it over time then I could do a big melt, dig up the concrete driveway and pour myself a solid copper driveway, 2in thick should do the trick.

6. Philski

Philski Member

I do. Thanks

Its a very important metal, i think. It offers more versatility at a lower price than any comparable metal for conductance and multiple uses, and is easy to recycle, and is one of the elements that taught civilisation about metals and refining. And even as a trace element in our own system. And if you drop a round. Its not quite as painful as something more precious.

How i see Copper atm
    the price for a roll of Copper pipe was $50 now its $120. Faster growth than Gold over the last bit regardless of the day to day speculative market.

7. Bullion Stacker

Bullion Stacker Member

1/2 Pound bars (4oz) seem to be going for about $4 or so atm have looked into buying copper but it just takes up to much space

8. TsutoyaRei

TsutoyaRei New Member

To me, stacking copper is just more like a hobby. Not investment, because i don't think the price of copper will rise like gold and silver, even in the future.

9. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

It is like penny stocks though. $4 to $6 is a 50% increase. Silver would have to get to $42 and gold to $2400. The copper scenario looks more likely in that context.

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Ideal if you cant afford to amass a large stack of silver and can only afford to buy by the ounce.. stack pennies and decimal currency.. also the bars (but they have huge premiums).

Id rate Nickel over copper but both are good if you have space.. stopped getting them once i ran out of space.. may look to downsize futher as im out of space.

1for1

11. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

Just imagine the skids you could do on a copper driveway. :lol:

12. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've been stacking copper for over a year now. It's inexpensive and I purchase it from Maggie whenever I buy some silver in order to share the postage. Usually stock up on airtites in the same parcel as well.

13. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

I can understand coin collecting as a hobby but stacking? That is a strange hobby, placing a copper bar on top of another one.

14. SilverSurfer77

SilverSurfer77 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just wondering what you guys thing on this, prices of copper are bound to go up and also copper coins have aways been a part of our monetary history. ATM spot price of copper is about $7.40kg AUD

Will the old 1 & 2c come in handy in a shtf situation? I believe they would, if we do go back to a metal backed currancy, copper will have its place again. Yes they take up a bit of room but I think its worth it to have that little bit of added diversification.

15. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Stumbled on this pick and thought I'd inject some T-Virus into this Zombie thread.

If you're not stacking copper like this...you're out of the running :)

[​IMG]

16. miniroo

They would of paid good money for that copper one way or the other.
    i'm still ticking along here, scrapping e-waste from the guts of melbourne,
    people have such wonderful appetite's for new technology, making at least obtaining
    stuff easy, getting the good stuff out of e-waste in a humane and legal way though takes lots of time and effort.

Yesterday I was sorting some aluminium heat sinks accumulated from pc boards,
    the main one that sits on top of the cpu.
    separated into 4 stacks, solid alloy, solid copper, copper/alloy & copper stackers.

the copper/alloy heat sinks are sold as is, as it's impossible to separate the copper quickly enough to make it worthwhile, the one's I like best are what I call copper stacker heat sinks.
    they have a rod of copper in the centre and can easily be removed from the aluminium outer.

Solid copper heat sinks are beautiful and special but I just love my stackers so I wanted to share.
    I call them copper stackers 'cos they are perfect fractional pieces of solid copper and stack well.
    they vary a bit in size, some a little wider or taller but generally they are the size of 12 x 20c coins stacked, same height and width.

the're wedged into the heat sink well, I knock 'em out with a hammer and steel rod, the rod marks the copper stacker so one side always has hammer marks but they still look ok.
    was thinking maybe I should try and market them as copper stackers, solid & goblet, and try and get the terminology for them going with collectors.

anyway let's look..
    here's a couple heat sinks that show the two variations of stackers.

This is one with a solid stacker heat sink..

[​IMG]

Another solid stacker heat sink..

[​IMG]

Copper Stacker "solid"

[​IMG]

This one is a goblet stacker heat sink..

[​IMG]

Same one, other side showing the goblet.

[​IMG]

Copper Stacker "goblet"

[​IMG]

For size comparison I weighed this copper stacker, 210g, and then I weighed up 210g of copper wire and scrunched up the wire as tight as I could into the smallest size possible by hand.
    you can see the difference in size, making these stackers perfect for stacking, carrying about, bartering, swapping ect, you can also weigh and then stamp each stacker with it's unique weight.

[​IMG]

Knocked out this batch just yesterday and it's become an instant copper bullion stack.

[​IMG]

So what does everyone think?
    in time, when I accumulate a lot more, do you think these could work as copper stackers?
    i'm hoping other scrappers take on the term and market them as such, pure, solid, recycled copper
    with very low environmental impact, no need to use energy, it's removed from the pc and ready to go, #1 copper in stack form.

17. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I have only one copper coin, beside stupid Euro cent. I think it's Norfed 2008 Copper 1oz coin. It's actually quite nice. :)

@miniroo: nice pics, especially the tea cup. ;) :)

18. Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann New Member

I`v been keeping copper 1 and 2p peices for a few years now, in the UK there was a change some years ago to these coins because in real terns a single penny has 2 pennies worth of copper in it as scarp value, so now these coins are some cheap alloy that plated with copper and they will stick to a magnet.
    needless to say the ones that Don`t go straight into my box that now weighs a good 4Kg :)

I`v no idea what I`ll do with these ultimately, I haven`t thought that far ahead, But if I do come up with something, they`ll be there.

19. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Copper usage and demand is a barometer of industrial activity, so if SHTF Day dawns then industrial demand is going to go down.

As will the value of copper.

Nevertheless, I would like to have a few 20oz bars just for the hell of it.

OC

20. Mirrorman

Mirrorman Member

Haven't weighed them up, but have a mound of 1c & 2 c as well as half penny and pennys .. are we all nuts or what :lol: