Sending coins to be graded by NGC/PCGS

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by bubblebobble2, May 29, 2012.

1. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Hi guys,
    My bro has a few coins that he thinks worthwhile to grade by certified grader, but he's not sure the procedure, cost and time of the whole process.. Plus is it safe to do so, like whether the coin will be the same one that he sent.

Any input much appreciated
    cheers

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

If he goes with NGC or PCGS I dont think there is any need to worry they could switch coins but it would be very unlikely they would risk their reputation doing something like that. It is pretty easy , I like NGC better but they are both top tier companies you can call or go on the website for cost and turn around time ,with NGC for world modern coins under I think $3000 value it is a minimum of 5 coins and I usually average about $20 per coin after shipping , grading and handleing fees, turnaround time usually about a month from when I send them in the USA. I hope this helps.

3. TsutoyaRei

TsutoyaRei New Member

I think it's 100% safe to send them to PCGS and NGC for grading. They won't risk their reputation by stealing your coins.

4. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Stick with NGC - but I'm biased - I'm a member ;)

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Time + Cost + the fact we dont value graded coins in antipodies = not worth the effort..

Americans invented slabbed and grading as an additional revenue stream preying on hobbies like collectors cards and bank notes.. the premiums you pay for them or the service to get them graded would be far better spent getting a better quality non-slabbed or more quantity for bullion.

There are excepetions such as chinese nusmimatics and ultra valuable coins but in general unless you have a very old very valuable coin that is common faked in the long term the bottom will most proberbly fall out of the slabbed coin market.. this is expecially true for modern bullion style coins.

1for1

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I am always amazed at how many American coins/eagles and Canadian Coins/ Maples get graded considering the availability and mintages . You are right on with the Chinese coins , and I do think the more desirable collectible coins such as the Australian lunar 1 and 2 series will become more desirable graded in the future as the secondary market coins are subject to environmental damage and handling abuse !

7. markn

markn New Member

Contact Eric at Drake Sterling Coins (www.drakesterling.com) and he'll arrange to send them across for you. Tell him markn sent you!

8. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

do they grade mistrike coins and one sided coins? (mule i think they are called)

9. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1. Procedure: Join NGC and/or PCGS.
    2. Cost: Depends on how many coins being sent. For low quantities it's usually around $40per coin (incl p&h). For larger quantities it's usually around $35per coin (incl p&h).
    3. Time: 1-2months after they receive your coins.
    4. Safe: Very safe. I've sent in more coins than I can remember, and haven't had any go missing yet.

5. Profitable?: I've had a $50 (+$35) coin sell for over $1000 after grading (big gain). I've had some $50 (+$35) coins sell for less than $75 (small loss).
    6. Protection: I like slabbing since I can now handle my favourite coins without much risk of damaging them.
    7. Census data: I like knowing how my coins compare, and tracking their popularity and price with time.

10. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Process:
    1. Join NGC and/or PCGS.
    2. Fill out form.
    3. Send in coins.
    4. Wait 1-2months for NGC/PCGS to grade your coins. (Keep clicking refresh on the Order Tracking Website)
    5. Receive your coins.
    6. Hopefully make a small margin on the coins.
    7. Buy new coins and repeat process :)

11. markn

markn New Member

Yes. The 2000 $1/10c mule can be just sent in a normal submission and it will be attributed correctly. If you want errors / mis-strikes to be attributed properly then they must be sent on an error submission, the cost of which is about $50 per coin so it's only really worthwhile for more valuable errors. We sent over a couple earlier this year. One of these, a $2 struck on a 10c Euro planchet featured in the last edition of Australian Coin and Banknote (CAB) magazine.

12. serial

how about these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    is it worth getting them graded?

13. markn

markn New Member

Nice coins, the brockage is especially nice. I do not think either of those is worth getting slabbed. The half anna (I think it's a half anna) looks like it has active verdigris so they wouldn't grade it. The 1/4 rupee is pretty common as an error. There's a bunch of these sorts of Indian errors in the next Baldwin's auction, you should take a look through the catalogue (http://www.baldwin.co.uk/auction-77/) to get an idea of value.

14. selfcentered

selfcentered New Member

I might have to send off all of my spotty / milky coloured Perth mint crap away and see what happens ....

Any advice from those in the same boat (holding crappy Perth Coloured milky proofs and wanting to break even eventually) ?

I guess I have learnt my lesson anyway, better sooner then later.

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

selfcentered, have you tried contacting Perth or the distributor you bought them from.

Perth have a money back guarantee.

[​IMG]
    http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f...okaburra/Perth Mint Guarantee_zpse96327c4.jpg

16. serial

what should i do about the verdidris? and will it affect value much as is?

17. selfcentered

selfcentered New Member

Thanks holdfast,

Although the the first 30 days there was never a problem, it was the 12 months following it that was..

Anyway, I think I have decided to just ignore it all and eventually get them all graded and conserved down the track....

I will only be buying a single 1oz plain lunar proof each year now.. So probably a good experience all in all.

Thanks.