Coin grading companies

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Dr.Gold, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Dr.Gold

Dr.Gold New Member

Hi guys, I was wondering which coin grading companies are the most reputable and accurate when it comes to grading coins.

What are your opinions regarding companies such as: PCGS, NGC, ICG, etc....

I know some tend to over grade coins by quite a bit, so if I was looking at buying some numi coins based on grade which companies should I avoid and which ones are the best to choose?

Cheers,

Dr.Gold.

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

PCGS & NGC are the leaders in grading, I'd avoid everybody else.

3. BrickInTheWall

BrickInTheWall Member

+1 ... I've been looking into graded coins over the past 6 months, and every decent article I have read has said exactly that.

4. Scope

Scope New Member

5. dex

dex Active Member Silver Stacker

I dont know too much, but i've heard ANACS is actually quite good and very underated. Pretty strict grading compared to other companies, some people prefer the old Blue labels over the yellows, i dont know why though.

6. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

ANACS is no longer reputable. Most of the stuff they grade is sold on the Home Shopping Network so basically the "As seen on Cable TV! Exclusive to Home Shopping Network! $99.99 for PR70 ASE LIMITED TIME ONLY" = ANACS.

7. dex

dex Active Member Silver Stacker

I've got a ANACS blue label (old) MS70 94 kookaburra... had some pretty decent offers thrown at me by collectors for it because its not yellow label???
    lol well ASE is common as dirt, so im sure its not too hard to find 70grades to pump out.

8. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

From what I see at local shows, ANACS is still well regarded when it comes to US coins. I don't know what the market for them is internationally, however. I personally think ANACS offers great value, but because the coins I grade are Pandas, I have gone with NGC since NGC is what buyers want.

Anyway, a while back I cracked out my ANACS and ICG MS69 DCAM 2004 silver Pandas to submit to NCS for conservation then grading by NGC to see how the grades would compare. The results were:

ANACS ----- NGC MS69
    ICG ----- NGC MS68

I've read on other forums that ANACS is pretty consistent with their grading, and possibly a bit stricter. In my experience with NGC, I can tell you they are very inconsistent. People make an issue of ANACS grading coins to be exclusively sold on HSN, but NGC blatantly over grades bulk submissions from large dealers.

If you're simply grading for your own personal collection, I'd say going with ANACS, NGC, or PCGS is fine. If you're grading to sell, use the grader preferred by the market for those coins.

Just my opinion.

9. TsutoyaRei

TsutoyaRei New Member

Of course PCGS & NGC. I wouldn't send to anybody else for grading.