There is not enough people buying silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by longtime silver believer, Aug 16, 2012.

1. longtime silver believer

longtime silver believer New Member

Just realised silver won't rise in value until the masses start to buy.I noticed there are just under 5000 members on this site[most likley all silver buyers].I'm guessing there are another 15000 buyers out there in OZ.That is only 0.1 percent of the Australian population,that's buying silver bullion!I remember the stamp boom in the 1980's,it is a fact that 12% of the population were buying new stamp issues.There was a que outside the Post Offices when a new stamp was realesed.People bought stamps by the sheet of 100 and put them aside for investment.OMG even BHP bought stamps.There were articles in the news-papers almost daily "Invest in Stamps","Stamps the best investment".The classified ads were full of people buying and selling,some issues quaddrupled in price in a week.I know because I was into it .Of course it all came to an end.I also remember the internet share bubble ,go to a week-end B.B.Q. and all the talk was,shares,shares,shares.Real estate went through the same phase recently,every one was into it.Real estate is fairly much on the nose now.So unless the word on silver gets out onto the streets,newspapers,and the taxi drivers are talking about it , we will only see modest gains.What do you think?

2. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Willow

Willow New Member

4. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I hear what you say, but bear in mind that silver and gold jewelry is owned by many women. Maybe more ounces than actual silver bullion.

Stackers have a relationship with their stack, but to translate that allure into a marketing strategy is the challenge.

5. upandaway

upandaway Member

Interested to know why silver reached $49 and change then? Buying is a light-on moment on the whole, so have all those who would have bought then suddenly run into truffles or something? Or is it that we were as irrelevant to the price now as then?

6. longtime silver believer

There wasn't enough force behind the purchasing when the silver price hit $49 .I just think that we need a great deal more people to buy silver before we see sustained price rises.Why does a share in a company run up in price? It's because there are alot of people who want to buy it.There is probably millions of shares in that company, but there are lots of people who want to buy lots of it's shares hence the price rise.

7. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

Does the amount of people have anything to do the amount of silver being sold? i wouldnt think so.... some buy more then others, 10,000 people all buying 10oz is less then
    2000 people buying 500oz each?

8. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

I think numbers buying are important. Its a lot easier to keep manipulation under wraps when silver sales consist of mainly big orders from a small number of buyers. When more individuals are buying that kind of thing pisses people off and becomes harder to hide.

We need some kind of debeers style advertising campaign... just not yet, can you wait untill my stack is just a bit bigger?

Maybe something kine "Bullion - its how you show a bloke you love him" How long would it take to set up a tradition where I got a bigger and bigger chunk of metal for each milestone in a relationship?

You know an oz for your first anniversary... maybe a kilo of gold if I could handle the woman for 50 years? It would only be fair.

9. BullON

BullON New Member

Interesting discussion.

Silver and gold I don't think will become popular as "fad" , but when people see inflation picking up and seek to protect their purchasing power things will change. Above ground availability of silver is about 1/5 oz per person on the planet.

B.

10. Jash

Jash New Member

I'm of the opinion that when silver goes ballistic, it will mean that the bankers have lost control and the fiat currency crisis will have fully matured.

What that means is a lot of really bad things will happen around the world and those with PMs will do better than those without, do long as they also have a store of non-perishable food to see them through the credit gridlock that will shut down much food production and distribution.

But that's just my opinion, and with the way currencies are going it's not even worth 2 cents anymore.

11. harrysantos

harrysantos New Member

I guess it's also because gold is just truly so much more stable historically. But from what I hear there's so much potential in silver although I am just beginning to learn more about it. I don't think there's anything wrong with having too little people buy silver for now. if anything, it's good to buy now because the price is low and when the hype comes it'll be more liquid and easy to sell.

12. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

silver is not just bought by collectors. The industrial needs also manipulate silver prices and while China is building the world it will be needed.

13. longtime silver believer

Yes all the bullion dealers should should put a small percentage of their turnover [just a tiny amount ]band together an advertise bullion investing in the national newspapers.They would even be allowed to submit editorial if they are putting ads in.Like a weekly column.Accountants should not only be talking about shares,property and fixed deposits,they should be revoluntary and speak of bullion investing.There seems to be a taboo on bullion,people are afraid of it because they don't know or understand it.We all need to spread the word in anyway we can.[this forum is one great way].The more people investing in bullion the better for all of us.This is how the man on the street can really become free and independant from the banks,fiat currency,government etc..I do not believe we should be selfish and wait for our stacks get bigger before we want the prices to rise.Our neighbours are our friends they are just little guys like us.

14. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

There is not enough people buying silver cos everybody's waiting for the price to fall further...
    :lol:

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I think after Bron Suchecki's recent discussion on the issue of supply and demand with Kerry Lutz on the Financial Survival Network (amazing Podcast btw if you're not already subscribed), if we get even 2% of the Australian population rushing in to invest (never mind a crazy 12%) you will have shortages within 14 days as suppliers sell out over the counter, followed by wait times likely in excess of a number of months.

See what happened after the 2008 crash of the metals markets...

Listen to the interview here : http://financialsurvivalnetwork.com...ious-metals-shortages-during-the-next-crisis/

So I say again, starting thinking long term physical with a cost average strategy because if we ever enter an event where even 10% of Australians want to get into the market at one time, you won't get your hands on physical at all... the demand will be like trying to pour the contents of the Hoover Dam through a garden hose

(http://www.caseyresearch.com/gsd/edition/john-hathaway-gold-manipulationbanks-are-agents-state)

I think the moral of the story here is not a question of if, how or even why - but when.

IMHO the fiat experiment is already passed the point of no return & you honestly cannot stop the inevitable here from happening.

Just be glad you had the foresight to plan ahead and position yourself whilst the sheep are still watching Master Chef and committing financial suicide on plastic.

16. MrSteve

MrSteve New Member

I agree with you from the point of view from a fellow stacker, but to the masses, who we'll need to get this thing moving, they aren't buying cause it's too cheap.

I know it sounds strange, but because the price has gone nowhere for over a year, people believe there's no reason to invest, as soon as the price starts to take off, then you'll see everyone heading to the nearest bullion dealer. Stock standard herd mentality.

Same thing happened when the price shot up to over 40 last year, the dealers had orders coming out of their proverbials.

My take is when, and that's a big when, the price hits 40 - 50, then we'll see some movement, but until then.......

17. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I agree ^^^ I have not seen Gold or Silver mentioned in MSM for ages. Until new records are set people will not get excited. They will start to when they see Gold making new records. As Aus has mentioned it is a mentality of the masses. They generally only buy on the way up, not the way down ?

18. longtime silver believer

Just wondering are all you silver stackers out there telling your friends and relations to buy gold and silver and what is their reaction? Are they listening or do they think we are nuts?

19. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

i took a 925 sixpence and said what could be brought with this in 1940 ? for argument's sake $2 ish now in silver would have brought about the same back then as it can now say an ice cream.

so then ok that same year you put a $2 note away from 1940 this is arguments sake ok the $2 would have brought a whole lot more back then say a new set of clothes, today the $2 note will buy you a ice cream same as the sixpence will so you could have saved $2 worth of sixpences back then and have a whole lot more than if you saved the $2 note.

simple argument really but watch their eyes glaze over as they agree :) and do the opp to lodgic :lol: basically people have been brainwashed that fiat in the bank is more valuable as a store of wealth .

wonder who brainwashed them LOL

and thats what silver and gold is a store of wealth

20. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This is why I'm perplexed as to how quickly someone will buy silver here off of another stacker, most times can get cheaper retail.

buying off a fellow stacker is the worse thing you can do if your wanting silver bullion sales figures to have any affect.
    turning over that same 10oz bar year after year to next stacker, all it's doing is going in circles, crazy.

buy fresh silver, that's it.

if someone wants out, don't open the door for them, let 'em squirm a bit and sell their silver for real cheap, who cares, they ain't coming back, bit of luck they'll die before they sell and their silver will be buried in the backyard for ever.

perth mint will announce that they sold 500,000 2012 kook's, but in reality there has been 2 million 2012 kook's sold this year, maybe 10 million, all going in circles.

fresh is best.