Storing Silver at home

Discussion in 'Silver' started by armenikumz, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have the very first Minelabs coin/relic detector model which is nearly 10 years old and you can buy almost new now for a couple hundred bucks.

Finding even a 3 pence coin at 12" deep is not a problem at all for such a device and it discriminates well enough I can see just from the display on what I detect whether I'm sweeping a gold ring, silver coin or 20c piece.

Detectors are terrific little gadgets and if you have any quantity in the ground, never assume a cheap detector won't find it - it would be child's play for anyone with 30 mins experience.

As for decoys?

If I was in your backyard in the first instance with a detector, that means I KNOW you have buried your goodies there somewhere.

Your backyard will look like the moon after I'd be done as I'd dig every signal.

It might slow someone down... but it won't stop them finding it in the end.

Better off finding a good hiding place inside the home I think. Being inventive can be just as effective at hiding your coin as a well hidden safe.

If you're honestly that paranoid though (or deal in large quantities), just consider a quality safe deposit box option with a reputable independent security group (ie not a bank).

My personal stack really is too small for anyone to really bother looking for (I think my xbox, TV and change jar will be swiped long before my metals are found), but if you have a larger stack (especially if it's gold heavy) then looking at a more 'professional' option would probably be smarter anyway.

2. johnw

johnw Member Silver Stacker

I have two safes at home, but ultimately have opted for professional storage and unallocated metals. I have a small case of collectable coins and bullion that are always for sale in one of the safes, but my investment metals are locked away somewhere that isn't my house.

3. JoelAG

JoelAG New Member

Each coin in an "air-tite" and each stack of 20 in a air tite tube (all off ebay). The whole lot in a hidden house safe I don't think common criminals would ever find.

4. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Never store your stack at home, ppl cut fingers off to get you to open your safe! Go FortKnoxStorage or similar. Or PM allocated depository.

5. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Agreed, I don't know anyone that stores their PMs at home anymore.

6. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Just remember these are all probably PVC and this is a big NO NO for Silver and Copper. May pay to check into this before you start thinking long term on this type of storage.

7. longtime silver believer

longtime silver believer New Member

Should keep some at home just in case you want it fast.Don't put it in obvious place though.Put some in an indoor pot plant or in a wheat -bix box at the back of the pantry ,there are a million places no-one would look.

8. Aureus

But then why would you need it fast?
    Fiat,sure, but PMs?

9. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Can You quote an incident in Oz where this has occured?

10. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

Common sense prevails here!

That's why we prefer to have our money stolen by banks and their investment instruments!

Google:
    "home invasion site:au"

Be shocked!

11. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Yeah did that.

Didn't see anything about people getting their fingers cut off because they have safes with PM's in them?

Can you post the link?

12. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

As a result of knowing you, or just coincidence? ;)

13. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

14. JoelAG

JoelAG New Member

I honestly never knew that, thank you. I went and checked and the air-tite capsules and tubes I buy all say no PVC. I googled it and I had no idea PVC could do that kind of damage. Wow.

http://coins.about.com/od/caringforcoins/f/pvc_damage_faq.htm

Thanks!

**EDIT

And why would I not keep my PMs in my home? In good times, my home (and my PMs) are insured and, as mentioned above, hidden safe, so the 55" TV is going to go along with the computers if I get "bad" thieves (weapon, no plan). "Good" thieves (no weapon, plan, we won't be home) are welcome to whatever they want. In "bad" times, you need to get thru me to get to my stuff, and if you do, then I don't need it any more. I am not going to pay a bank, who if things go pear shaped, to keep anything I may need, since I may never get access. It's either that, or dig a hole in the ground and if the excrement strikes the impeller, I am not going outside until things calm down. Best to have it all with me. ;)

15. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I can only give you 3 examples (all Perth in the last 60 days) as I'm eating toast & getting ready to go.

http://m.perthnow.com.au/news/weste...ht-home-invasion/story-e6frg13u-1226400736417

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/13823341/armed-intruders-terrify-mother/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-05-21/gang-linked-to-a-number-of-home-invasions/4024410

In my home town (Palmerston NT) when I grew up, the best ppl to rob are drug dealers, they have lots of $ & often are reluctant to call police.
    Best to lock doors & zip lips but u are never safe, as the economy gets worse so will crime & ppl will loose fingers. Safe crackers are not as common as bolt cutters.

Ps i am not a robber, I'm a good bloke with matching karma! Peace!

16. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

wtf?

17. Aureus

A mate of mine had some 10oz dragons stolen at about the same time I was going to buy 1. Decided against it for that very reason, would have been pretty awkward :lol:
    But honestly, it's just better to store it away from the family home, keep a bit of fiat at home for emergencies instead.

18. longtime silver believer

longtime silver believer New Member

Because your other hiding places may be already looted, cut off, closed,shutdown ,not accessable.No use having tons of gold and silver if you can not get to it!

19. Aureus

Each to their own but I am not comfortable with it, especially when I consider how many people know I invest in PMs. Just posting in forums can make you a target, buying/selling on ebay also...
    I feel safe with where my PMs are held, and safer knowing they are away from the home. The worst damage a crook could do right now is steal the idiot box, and I'd thank them for it anyway :p

20. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Nothing there about safes and PM's and fingers?

I have never heard of it.

I have friends in the police here and they tellme the bad guys get excited about safes because they assume there are guns in it.Stolen guns are worth a big amount on the black market.

If you need a safe you need at least a 400kg baby IMO.