whats the best type of silver bullion bars to buy?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by josho, Jul 31, 2012.

1. josho

josho New Member

Hi im new to this forum & just bought my first silver 5kg in 1kg bars pamp abc sydney.

im looking to purchase a lot more & was wondering what peoples opinions are on the diffrent types of bars available & answer a few questions i have.

Are pamp silver bars better than say perth mint or an unnamed bar if all bars are 999. pure?

Am i better buying the cheapest pure silver bullion i can find or go with a name thats known?

I can buy 1kg silver bars about $20 cheaper than say a pamp bar from another dealer in sydney. what are the pros & cons of buying from one or the other.

Kind regards
    josh

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Bars are bars are bars... liquidity due to size and brand recognition should be of minor consequence

3. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I asked myself the same questions when I started not so long ago and after some research it seemed that if you are going for branded bullion, the general consensus was for PAMP or PM as they're more recognizable and trusted. I did think that 999 silver was all the same at the end of the day but if it's from a more trusted brand such as the above, it should be that bit easier to sell to a larger market than some of the lesser known brands.

The way I look at it is that I'm regularly buying 1kg bars which is more cost effective and 'save' on the added premiums than if I was buying 1kg worth of 10oz coins or bars. There really isn't that much in the difference between a generic 1kg bar and the much lauded and revered PAMP (usually between $7 and $10 from a few website searches earlier today). You'll get the premium back when you sell it anyway so I think it's worth paying the extra

5. dex

dex Active Member Silver Stacker

PAMP 1kgs and 10oz PM Bars and the 20's if you can get them!
    If you sell on places like ebay and even here sometimes PAMPS and Perth Mint seem to always go slightly higher then the other brands floating around like the newer ABC bars, not that theres anything wrong with them though. Its all silver :)

6. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Remember, less than four purchases of that size will get you a monster box of 500 x 1ozt coins. Bars are great but not as liquid as coins and buying in bulk brings the premiums down.

7. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I think that Scottsdale Silver have clearly established a premium brand world wide.I have purchased alot of the product and happy to pay the premium as others have and do.

I think they are a great bar for any stacker.

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Starting out stack cheap in case silver takes off and leaves you behind.
    As you can see from the diverse answers there is no correct answer. Stack according to your beliefs.

9. Igor_SPb

Igor_SPb New Member

You guys have more or less answered a similar question I had,
    "what do prefer, PAMP Bars vs Aussie Bars?"

Thanks

10. Ilovesilver

Ilovesilver Member

If u can get A PAMP THE SAME price as any other then no brainer otherwise go generic. Dealers don't pay too much more fir pamps city gold adelaide does atm. Perth mint next then generic.

11. Levant

Levant New Member

Really?

There is certainly a school of thought that the premium will erode over time and as the market rises.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see who's right :)

12. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

premium will never erode as manufacturing/transportation will never get easier. Premium as a % will be tiny :)

13. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

^^^This.
    Faith in the unseen, but I agree with you, that's if the demand is there else premium dissolves quickly.

14. Levant

Levant New Member

That was my key point, and premium as a percent the most important whether you are trying to make money or preserve wealth.

Hence always trying to minimise the premiums you pay.

15. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Buy 10oz bars.Very liquid,small premium.

16. Ilovesilver

Ilovesilver Member

small premiums...sure maybe 1 or 2 unless you sell a hundred of them to a dealer on one day. And they only pay you spot less a small percentage. If you want to offload lots of silver at once you will struggle to find enough buyers to maintain your premium.

BEFORE YOU PURCHASE ALWAYS THINK OF YOUR EXIT STRATEGY AND WHO WILL YOU BE SELLING AND BE REALISTIC.

Why would someone buy from you at spot +% when they can go to a reputable bullion dealer? I rarely buy bullion from ppl except from legit dealers. Ive even tried to sell on the forums and found its not as easy as it seems, and you also have to add shipping.

Case in point lunar coins. Sure you can make a good return on them in a few years maybe but a 30%premium on release you may as well by a bar/coin at smaller premium and get more. When someone tries to sell a roll of tigers its always easier to sell 1 at $100 then 20 at $2000.

Everyone to themselves. All I know is I go with recognised bars. Perthmint First and PAMP second in that order.

Regards

17. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

silver ones :D