Gold/silver allocations ??

Discussion in 'Gold' started by Bluefoxx, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Bluefoxx

Bluefoxx New Member

Hi everyone,
    New to this site and to stacking, but loving the great discussions on the forum !
    I have about 100 oz silver, and 3 oz gold atm...but a bit unsure as to what should be the ideal allocation of my total portfolio in pm's..
    Some say 5%, some as much as 10%. Right now I would be less than either of those.
    Can people give me their views ?
    Also, do people have a set "target" when it comes to number of oz's, in particular for gold ?
    I'm aiming for 10 oz ( good round number ! )..
    Would love feedback as to what amount others are holding/targeting.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

What ever you can afford blue, there is no such thing as an "ideal" balance in any investment. But 10oz of gold would be a great goal. :)

3. Bluefoxx

Bluefoxx New Member

Thanks for the advice there :)
    While it seems like a decent target, would love to get some perspective by knowing what others here are aiming at.
    Thanks everyone.

4. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Yeah right :rolleyes: ... do you want names, addresses and locations of where it's stored as well ?

6. Bluefoxx

Bluefoxx New Member

No thanks, Trew. It was a sincere question. Just wondered what others are doing, and aiming for, in this forum.

7. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

People don't like talking about how much they are holding, as its effectively asking how much is in your bank account. A better approach is to ask what percentage of one's financial investments one is holding in precious metals; eg. Gerald Celente is 100% gold; Max Keiser is 100% gold & silver. In the old days, people used to recommend that 5% of your net worth be in metals, but these days 5% is regarded as much too low. Jim Rickards says that you shouldn't have more than 50% of your net worth in gold, and Doug Casey also recommends you don't go too high, because (for eg.) if the government decides to target physical gold for a special tax and you are 100% invested in gold, you're screwed, etc. David Morgan says the younger you are, the greater should be your silver weighting, and the older, the greater should be your gold.

Alot of the people here will be accumulating, year after year, adding to their stack. I don't believe that once fellow SS reached their original "goal", that they then stopped accumulating. Yes, when gold spiked to $1900 and silver to $48, there were probably few buying. Once you're got an initial stack that you're happy with, you don't feel obliged to buy when prices rocket up. You just sit pat, and when prices fall, then you add a few more oz to your stack. My stack was originally silver heavy, but now its the reverse.

8. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

wow your portfolio is over half a million! Your going ok, I wouldn't stress too much!

9. Bluefoxx

Bluefoxx New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the advice.In my original post I did quite openly divulge what I have so far accumulated, so in fact I'm not asking anyone for information which I'm not prepared to disclose myself. And we are basically anonymous here anyhow...why would someone calling themselves SilverSpirit, for example, be concerned if a bunch of people he never laid eyes on knew he has 1000 oz silver ??
    Anyhow, I really like your point about once you get to your goal you don't feel pressed to buy when prices rocket. I will continue drip-feeding my portfolio and add on any dips.

10. Bluefoxx

Bluefoxx New Member

LOL...Ummmm..3oz gold and 100 oz silver doesn't equal half a million $$$.

11. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

think again...

12. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

13. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

SilverSpirit has 1000 oz Silver!!! Man, his wife is gonna add that to her cut of the divorce demands.
    Spewin!

14. Bluefoxx

Bluefoxx New Member

:/
    :/

15. metalzzz

And it's scraps too, less than 5% of his portfolio. His wife would be happy with the scraps

16. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

I heard he's got kilos of gold buried in his backyard.

17. metalzzz

Already on my way over

18. SilverBrumby

SilverBrumby Member Silver Stacker

Because anonymous people have a bad habit of telling people their home address for posting items too. . .
    Please people get a po box.

19. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

This is probably an appropriate time to remind everyone about security. I suspect that the personal messages on SS are not encrypted, and I'd would not be surprised if at some future date, professional hackers attempted to acquire the SS database. Which raises the question, do you have ANY information in a PM which you sent to another SS, which you would not want a (precious metals) thief finding?

Ideally, after completing any trade, you should delete any PM which contains confidential information; eg. address, bank account, etc. If you are a big dealer, and you need your customer data for easy, repeated sales, then ideally, you should be storing your customer details offsite (ie: not in SS PM inbox), and on your own computer in an ENCRYPTED form.

Its dead EASY to encrypt information. The easiest way is to buy WINZIP, which allows 256 bit encryption (cannot be penetrated by current computing power). All of my personal, sensitive information on my home computer is stored in zip files with 256 bit encryption. So if a thief broke into my place and stole my computer, he cannot access ANY of my sensitive financial/personal information. After doing this, it is highly recommended that you also store a copy of your encrypted files OFFSITE, so that if your house burns down and everything is lost, you will not have lost your vital computer information.

20. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Encrypted only to the point where I can't read them accidentally when working on the database. The private message system on here should not be considered a secure form of communication, any more than regular email.

The biggest concern with the contents of private messages is a "hand it over" request from state or federal police, and EVERYTHING being subject to scrutiny. There was been one such request in the past that was able to be fobbed off - directly in response to a discussion on the forum. So people think I'm a Nazi and get their knickers in a knot when I request certain topics like firearms not be discussed, or links to overseas counterfeit coin suppliers, but there's solid reasons behind it.

Everyone here trusts their home address and details of bullion purchases to be trusted with every single person in a police force, right? :rolleyes: