New to coins and Pm help appreciated

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Deano3, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

Hi all i am new to PM purchased 8x1 oz bars and 1x 250g bar so far but purchasing another 250g bar but i am now looking at coins as a better investment as for collective terms etc, what are best coins to start with that will hold and go up in value ? seen the eagles and the maples and the pandas, also how many coins or normally made ? and how many to be valuable in future

has anyone any ides of how many of these were made etc ? https://www.ukbullion.co.uk/productDetails/2547

or these https://www.ukbullion.co.uk/productDetails/2548

look like nice coins but like i say i am new to this thanks Dean
    any help would be great

2. Itanimulli

Itanimulli New Member

Hi Deano

I would steer of those two coins you posted. They're kinda gimmicky, in my opinion - and I don't mean the subjects of the coins - obviously they're both sad events. I don't think they have much collective value because people don't really buy silver for sentimental reasons - especially if you're looking for solid investments. It's going to be a smaller market of people interested in both the Titanic and 9/11.

I would say for UK buyers the 1oz Silver Britannia's are a good shout. They have low mintage numbers http://www.silverbullionworld.com/britanniamintage.html

When and if you come to sell these coins you're probably going to have more success selling native UK coins. It's about trying to cover all bases, rather than small interests, etc.

This site has a lot of info about the coins you've mentioned http://www.silverbullionworld.com/index.html

3. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Had a look on APMEX (a good point of reference for world bullion/coins) and couldn't find those exact rounds. However... APMEX is selling various rounds for $31.35 each (discount if you buy >20), and 24.82 = US$38.66, and this is excluding VAT.

US$31.35 = 20.12, so ukbullion is charging a 20% premium - excluding VAT.

To cut a long story short, if I was living in the UK (again), then I would be doing my silver investing via The Perth Mint, using the PMDS (Perth Mint Depository Scheme), and thus bypass being ripped off on both premiums & VAT. As for gold, you can do this locally.

Note: Citizens of over 100 countries invest in the Perth Mint, so you won't be the only Englishman to do so.

Remember this... SS has seen scores of people bitching & complaining about how they have lost money by investing in silver, and these are individuals who were able to purchase silver WITHOUT paying either a 20% premium or VAT. So, you don't want to join their number. Your hurdles to profit are much higher than theirs ever were.

Have a read of this, from a nice UK gold dealer:

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/silvergoodinvestmentwhengoldsilverratioishigh.html

4. upandaway

upandaway Member

Agree with Itanimulli on the Britannias. They are limited mintage (although the 2012 is I believe to be produced more to demand) and are exempt from capital gains tax issues in future. They are also obviously UK legal tender and the Royal Mint are going to start producing a bullion type coin next year which should result in a huge increase in production runs and may well see the collector appeal of earlier coins improve considerably.

Have a look at Atkinson's as they have some cracking deals on these at present.

If you need any further advice, please send a PM I can give you a few more to look at/consider.

5. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

Thanks a lot everyone relies now that it's not the best looking coin that matters , I will look properly when get onto my laptop, thanks a lot for the advice everyone that's very helpful , just wondering what percentage of your stack is bars to coins ? Think in future if only buying 1 oz I will buy coins but anything larger I will get bars

Thanks dean

6. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

are the britannias only 95% silver just wondering ?
    also the scheme u listed blacksun needs a huge investment which i dont have, sounded good though

Thanks

7. BrickInTheWall

BrickInTheWall Member

I generally stack both 1 oz coins and 10 oz bars ... the ratio is about 50:50.

The bars have a cheaper premium, so more bang for your buck ... whereas the coins are nice to have around because they pretty and shiny !! If you choose your coins carefully, there is a good chance the premium will increase over time, thereby improving your returns. And if the premiums don't increase ... they are still pretty and shiny !!

8. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Yes that's true... forgot that for foreigners the PMDS entry is US $50,000. There is the PMCP, which you could do for US$10,000, which is not really much, if you try hard to save up. Imagine how much more silver you'll get here for $10,000 than you would get in the UK. Then sit and hold... silver is a brilliant long term play, based on industrial factors alone.

Maybe look at Goldmoney instead. Its just that for you UK guys, silver is unfortunately a "raw deal".

Have you read this, or are familiar with everything its saying? http://silverprice.org/buy-silver/2008/01/buy-silver-in-uk.html

I notice that these fellows (whoever they are) also recommend goldmoney: http://moneypress.org.uk/silver/buy-silver/

9. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

10. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Deano - if you need advice in the UK we have a new section for trading stuff.

11. Vredaren

Vredaren Member

I myself am a huge advocate for the Britannias, and since you're a brit there are even more benefits. I love the design(s) and the limited mintage is very nice and creates a rather big demand - at least higher than regular bullion.

The fact that they're 958/1000 doesn't really bother me that much seeing as they're still 1 oz pure silver and I don't think if it comes to melting them down it'd be that much of a problem regarding the impurity seeing as people are melting down Sterling silver which is 925/1000.

my 0.02

12. FritzH

FritzH New Member

US coins and maples are great for investment and collections. Pandas I'm not sure, there's a lot of fake pandas around.