Shanghai. Part I

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by 25Grizzlies, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Doesn't look anything like the photos of a communist country I used to look at in my Modern History books at high school. The Two Faces of the PRC of China. :)

2. wilkes

wilkes Member

I will have to stop by on my next trip to China. Thanks for the write up mate!

3. adamcollins42

adamcollins42 New Member

I'm curious how you felt the dealer ask prices in Shanghai are/were compared to previous prices you've been exposed to.

Also, I'm willing to assume with yennus introducing you dealers were much quicker to warm up and maybe edge off of their ask prices they offer to brand new clients

4. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Good post, thanks Adam. There's a lot of OMP there so that's what I'll comment on whether they're being compared to MS69's or not I'll take as irrelevant. On the whole prices were similar or a little higher than what I've seen lately (it'd be foolish to think the Chinese don't recognise a great OMP coin) although, as is the case with ebay, there were also good scores (I considered the bimetallic I bought a very good score). It appears that in the main, they are ignoring the recent dip in the MCC market, obviously some dealers who need to liquidate have the exceptions.

Im mainly after the older BU Pandas. The ones I bought were OMP and at the higher end of what I consider my price range, however I wouldn't have purchased them had I not thought them flawless. After being in Shanghai I really like the flawless OMP stuff, would rather have that than an MS69 as strange as that sounds... just love that original look. Only because I;m familiar with Pandas and think that they'll do well in OMP in the future, if I were buying other MCCs I would seriously consider the slabs. Rambling off topic again ha

On your second point, I'd have to say affirmative. Definitely rapport can be measured numerically in the coin world. Mr. Panda would've had my bimetal at a different price if I'd walked in 'off the street' without yennus... I could tell he liked him. No warming however in the case of Xu, he really does have high prices. Meh, there are enough dealers that yennus gets along with, with enough coins, to fully satisfy almost any collector. If Xu has coins you want maybe a friendly dealer can score them at a better deal for you, as Peter states above they do play the game differently.

I'd consider that shopping mall a collectors, more than an investors, haven... though the two approaches in the MCC market for me are almost inseparable. Plenty of ammo there no matter how you play the game.

I'm hoping for more good OMP deals when I get back there sometime.

5. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Do it. Research any rare stuff you might want, chances are you'll find it.

6. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Right on man, the Chinese have been saying mmm...shiny for centuries, communism hasn't been around THAT long.

7. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sure thing. Let me know your details of when you'll be here and hopefully we can catch up and maybe do a PandaHunt together.

8. KyleSector

KyleSector Member

Hi Guys,

What is the address/name of this coin shopping mall?

I'll be in Shanghai next week and want to visit and make some purchases.

9. Slam

Slam Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm in Shanghai at the moment, If I get a chance I'll check out the silver shop.

From memory, my wife bought some pandas last time. They were more expensive then getting it in Sydney. So really theres no point in buying them here.

Slam

10. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

The normal year is more expensive because the vat to silver. But the gold and the older (numismatic) are cheaper
    Ask yennus.

11. mfm

mfm New Member

Do you or anyone else here have the location for this coin market? Thanks.

12. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

Shanghai.

:D

No seriously, I couldn't tell you the physical address, sorry.

But fear not, either the pandacollector has it or supreme comrade Panda tour operator Yennus is able to help you!

13. 88shanghaicoins

88shanghaicoins New Member

Many rare coins is hiding by dealers. If you need a rare stuff you need connections or how chinese said "Guangxi". some od coins are resealed even have a fake COA.
    but Jumen lu is a heaven for MCC !

14. Catseye

Catseye New Member

15. mfm

mfm New Member

Thanks, got an expo panda, some unicorns, some 30 year pandas and a bunch of regular Chinese coins. Was able to negotiate decent prices on the more expensive stuff and for the cheap stuff I only bought when I knew the price was OK.

Visited some CGCI franchised retailers earlier and they pretty much sucked, poor inventory and ridiculous prices. Will have to get back to checking CGCI dealers when I get back to civilization (Guangdong, that is).

16. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Im looking for a 1995 1 oz silver unicorn in omp or pf69. You saw some?

17. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

+1...:)))

Great hunting mfm... I saw no unicorns in the coin mall I visited. Would love to collect this 4 coin 1 oz silver proof set

18. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I have the 1997 and 1994 in ms69
    And the 1994,1996 and 1997 in pf69
    I need the 1995 but i dont like the crazys ebay prices 600/800 grading.

19. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

I knew they'd take off this year my Argentinian friend... I had the sinking feeling but just could not squeeze them in the budget, can't buy everything. When i feel wealthy again ill nab them as long as they're not outrageously priced.

Congrats on your set so far, you are very close! I'd like to see pics of them, obverse and reverse, if you can :))

20. mowirr

mowirr New Member

Hi,

Gonna fill in with my limited expeiences as a rookie in Shanghai!!

I've just moved to Shanghai and I will work here as an expat for a few years. Originally I come from Sweden and I'm a member of their PM-forum. I've been stacking silver and gold for a few years and I also like Swedish numis like Oskar II's silver and gold coins. The Pandas are relatively new to me, I just have a few of the 2011-12 bullions since they are beautiful.

In Shanghai I've only been to the store "China Gold Coin" on the corner of ShimenYiLu/WeiHaiLu and bought a few 2012 Panda Gold and Silver bullion. I've basically only learned that cash is king and European cards sucks when you want to buy coins. I've also learned the hard way that they stop sell Silver Pandas at 4pm, the prices for Silver bullion are higher than in Germany and that the shop closes at 5pm. When it comes to gold bullion the prices are decent at CGC(RMB11,800 for a 1 Oz 2012 Panda), and better than the local bank(RMB13,000 for a 1 Oz 2012 Panda). You can also get a fair deal on the 5 coin(1.9 Oz) boxed set Au-Pandas(1.9Oz=1+0.5+0.25+0.1+0.05Oz).

I've also learned that you can buy a few 1kg's goldbars at Carrefour to spice up your weekly shopping trip. Haha... I love this town!!

It's been an OK start for a rookie like me but I understand Shanghai has so much more to offer and I want to start tasting it. Since I registred at silverstackers.com I see that you guys love the Pandas and some of you guys are living in Shanghai.

If you're interested in company when you will visit some PM-coin stores next time.. Send me a PM.
    Thanks,
    M.