How much gold and silver do you purchase and how often ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Deano3, Jul 8, 2012.

1. shano73

shano73 Member

Hey Deano,

I only started 9 months ago, and can pass on what I have learnt so far and have made a few mistakes along the way.

For silver grab 10 oz bars, or low premium coins, atm the Kooks are pretty cheap because of re-mints and can see these increasing moderately in value once all sold.

For Gold, if you are starting out just grab what you can afford e.g. 5 gram ingots etc. atm Ive seen these for around $275 at a local dealer in SA.

Atm I'm spread at 50/50 silver and gold, but up to you how you want your PM stack to be.

Also buy with your head and not your heart :) Dont get emotionally caught up in PM's, research, research research.

My 2 cents anyways.

2. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-358327.html#p358327

Following this logic, if Goldpelican did not want to post a picture of the place where he hides his gold/silver, he should not have bothered posting. Brando090 made a simple request, show me a picture of your hiding spot (or don't bother replying).

Other people can learn from these posts, even if they don't directly satisfy the original poster of the question. :D

4. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

lol i know wish i had that money aswell but a little is better than nothing so we will keep stacking our small amounts, maybe one day 3000oz

thanks

5. Staraca

Staraca Member

Hi,

i am also new to this, when you say kooks re-minted series, which coin is that? Thank you

6. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

thanks a lot again ladybird very helpfull, was just asking a question like i say didnt mean any offence anyway yeah that sounds great 5-10oz hopefully i can afford around 5oz a month instead of saving say 400 going to try put 150 or so into silver and gold, i have no gold at all yet but thinking about purchasing 1gram of gold just busy looking around, yeah o have noticed loads of ppl on here seem to go to local shops in us and australia etc

Thanks Dean

7. Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey Active Member

Rich DAD, Poor DAD?

MI CASA MI DE PADRE...

8. JoelAG

JoelAG New Member

Hey Deano3! One of the things that got me into silver was that I found gold (at levels I can afford) had just too much of a mark up.

At a place I buy from (I'd share but I don't know if that's frowned on or not) they have PAMP 1g, 2.5g and 5g bars. All in my comfort level of purchaseability.

The first thing I see is that it starts at $11 over spot. Boo! Then I compare them all.

5, 1g bars = $319.70
    2, 2.5g bars = $288.68
    1, 5g bar = $280.26

Right away I can see the savings by buying in bulk. I would personally save longer and purchase the 5g bar instead of 5 1g bars.

That, plus I firmly believe (my own speculation here) that if you bought $1000 worth of Silver today and $1000 worth of gold, the Silver will have a much better return rate in years to come.

But that's just me. :)

Joel

9. SilverBrumby

SilverBrumby Member Silver Stacker

The perth mint kookaburra BU 1 oz coins silver. The current mintage limit on these is 500 000 and some of the earlier releases never made it up to the older limit of 300 000, so PM reminted them up to the limit. These kooks from (I think) 91 onwards are available from a few of the forum sponsors. Welcome to the forum.

10. silversardine

silversardine Member

The OP's question is one that might have been asked slightly differently. However, this type of question has been asked and answered many times in this forum over the past couple of years, with many responses.

Every day people are talking about how they try and get a 10 ounce bar each month or buy a bit of gold for every 10 bits of silver etc.... Others will jump on and talk about the $5000 they spent yesterday quite happily after one person proudly shares their once a month one coin buy.

Some people have indeed commented in terms of dollar value but most talk about a ''few bars'' or ''a few coins'' which gives an idea of the dollar cost anyway. There are many ways to figure out what people spend on PMs by reading a wide variety of posts and in the different sections. Then it is up to you to figure out where PMs fit in your grand scheme and how much to spend - or not.

Learning about human nature means understanding that there are as many ways to answer a question as there are to ask it.

11. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

i'd be buying silver until I was reasonably satisfied with my stack, then add 1g golds with future silver buys.
    your gonna need satisfaction whilst your spending your money and a 1g gold bit doesn't really hit the spot if that's all you got to look at and a couple oz of silver.

it will frustrate you so rather then touching gold at the moment, it's not as if it's $500 oz, it's $1600 oz,
    people aren't exactly kicking down shop doors to buy gold, if gold doubles in price then it will most likely take silver up with it to double it's price so I don't think there's much difference right now with silver slowly dropping.

perfect time to start I feel, most have been taking grabs at the silver sword whilst it's been dropping from $50
    many are still at it, trying to offset the bulk of their investment, you will be doing the same as it probably keeps dropping but we're at just $27 today so it's great.

I think the most critical thing to consider when starting out stacking is thinking about how you will be selling what you have if that's the objective one day.

I break my stack into 3, firstly fractionals for my survival bag. 1g golds & up to 1/2oz silvers, they are for shtf purposes and are never to be sold, the're tools in my bag just like a compass, torch and a big knife, the fractionals are part of the kit.

second is the family heirloom stack, another off limits stack that is never to be sold regardless of pm values.

third is the business stack, that's where the bulk will be and when silver hits $1500oz i'll sell it :)
    This is the important part, it depends how you want to sell it will depend what you buy.

Think about where you can sell bullion today, which way would be most likely to go? ebay, forums, a web site store, do you want to be a dealer or just walk off the street into a shop and sell in one lot?

when you know which way you will most likely sell then buy bullion that suits that best.

and obviously, spend only what you can afford to never get back.

12. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

Hey Deano and welcome to the stack a holics.I have a small stack already so my current buys are 5 to 10 ozs at a time.With the current price I have been buying at least every 2 weeks,but then again I have the spare cash to do so.I try to buy a few ozs of gold a year but most of my buys are silver.My downfall is going for the trendy HR perth coins.I love them but its a terrible return on investment.

13. BrickInTheWall

BrickInTheWall Member

I wouldn't be worried about asking questions of this type ... people can chose to be vague or even not answer if they don't like the question.

I think there have been some great posts in this thread, showing the various approaches applied by different people.

Personally I prefer saving my fiat money for a few months, and then buying larger amounts of silver (say 50 to 100 oz) so as to keep the premiums lower. The risk of course is if the price goes up quickly (like last year), and you can't buy as many ounces as you wanted. This is often offset by the advantage that prices usually come back down again (like this year), and you can catch up.

I particularly like miniroo's approach to having different stacks for different needs ... e.g. SHTF, longer term investment, and short-term speculation. I also have some gold shares for leveraged investment in the hope of windfall profits (to then be re-invested in physical gold/silver), although this year the shares have been pretty ugly !!

Which probably leads to the most important point, as has already been mentioned by others ... only invest what you can afford to lose, or at least hold onto for the longer term if prices move against you. This implies you should also have some fiat savings in place, so as to carry you through short term cash flow needs without having to sell your gold / silver / other investments prematurely.

14. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Just to add to what LADYBIRD said at the end of her post...

When faced with an impulse buy I compare it's price to how much Silver &/or Gold I could buy instead. Its surprising how that cuts down on the purchase of needless junk. So buying PM gives me more spare cash to buy PM with (that last sentence makes sense in my head.. if no one else's :) )

15. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

lol thanks for advice and i am already tight i always think of prices as say its 18 pounds i will think of it as 2 hours to work lol but maybe think in terms of metals will work better lol also i agree with u jane if i had 40-80 pounds spare i couldnt wait another month would have to spend it

Thanks Dean

16. the_a

the_a New Member

Ladybird, your post made me think of myself
    "I mean...c'mon mum....seriously! There's more important stuff to spend your hard earned cash on like clothes and make-up and x-box games and new guitars etc etc." I was the same way when I was younger, with the guitars at least. Interstingly, most of the guitars I have have at least kept their value. Being in Scotland I would think you might have easier access to some of the vintage British instruments than we do in Canada. Pick your kids up an old Rickenbacker or Hofner and maybe a Vox AC30...they'll be happy and you might have a nice little investment. Just a thought, although at the moment I'm liking silver over guitars :)

17. Kawa

Kawa New Member

Awesome..was that a ZZTop cover.

Ya kid is bad ass.

18. Staraca

Staraca Member

I recently bought some gold and silver on ebay, trusted the guy and did a direct bank transfer, guess what.....

Apart from purchasing direct from the mint or example goldstackers, how does it work through here on the forum here? Thank you

19. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1 Welcome :D
    2 What part of the world are you from ?
    3 read + read & do some more reading ,all your questions have been answered here before