Privy mark

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Silvered, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Silvered

Silvered New Member

Hi,

Question.. Are the privy mark coins worth more? I cannot seem to find any.
    Just purchased a 2012 kook but noticed that some have a small dragon privy.

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Wonder what is current opinion on the 1 oz silver Dragon with the German privy now that it has been out there for a while. Those who bought the clean Dragons and paid twice the intrinsic value will no doubt say the Privy version is not as high valued. However the privy run in theory could rise more as its mintage was less and to be fair it is the same coin but with a small additional stamp.

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

less (to others anyway), privys are slightly better then a scratch or finger print if you go by the sentiment on silver stackers

5. Guest

Guest Guest

People are just pissed off they paid more than the privy's selling for. (I'm pissed, I missed out on 300 1oz dragons from BB by about 30mins). At the end of the day we'll have to just wait and see, the possibility they'll be worth the same or more than the non privy is there.

6. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

Personally I don't like privies just because I can't make the set.

7. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

OK here's my Privy opinion! Privies have been used this year to obstensively get around the 300k and 500k mintage limits of the 1oz Lunar Dragon and 2012 1oz Kookaburra respectively.

For the 2012 coins, the privy makes them less valuable than a non-privy version of the same coin.

In other years however, privies can make a coin more valuable. Take the 2005 Kookaburra for example. I have the Zodiac Privy Kookaburras of that year.

That is, each of the 1oz Kookaburras have a privy of Aries, Scorpio, Cancer etc etc making 12 in total, one for each star sign.

The 2005 signs of the Zodiac Kookaburra coins are worth more than a non-privy 2005 Kookaburra. Their mintage was also very low, 5,000 for each star sign I believe.

Also other Kookaburra privies have significantly higher value than the non-privy of that year. Examples are 1997 Gold Dragon Privy (mintage 10,000), 1996, 97, 98 European Union Privy (mintage 5,000 each country), 2000 Zodiac Privy (5,000 mintage each coin), Various 1997 foreign currency gold privies (mintage 2,500 each).

So, some privy kookaburras are certainly more valuable BUT were minted in much smaller numbers than the 2012 200,000 quantity and often formed part of a set.

The 2012 dragon kookaburra not only has a mintage more than 100 times more than other privy coins but it also does not form part of a set.

8. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Matthew 26.14 writes in the thread above -

"OK here's my Privy opinion! Privies have been used this year to obstensively get around the 300k and 500k mintage limits of the 1oz Lunar Dragon and 2012 1oz Kookaburra respectively.
    For the 2012 coins, the privy makes them less valuable than a non-privy version of the same coin."

The last sentence is interesting.
    What makes you believe the privy stamped 2012 coin is less valuable ? Right now you may be correct but put it another way, perhaps the non- privy versions are over priced and likely to fall in time.
    Collectors seem to be willing to pay a few bucks more for a coin that is unusual or rarer so I would conclude that a limited run of privies could appreciate more than the bullion version. I also note that I paid well over the odds for my 10oz and kilo 2012 dragons, getting a very good price, or so I thought at the time, but now prices have dropped significantly even after allowing for the drop in spot.

9. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

^^^ I'd reply by saying:

1. The privy stamped 2012 coins cannot be made into a set. The straight bullion coins can.

2. Other recent privy editions like the Koala "Berlin Bear" privy have all sold and continue to sell less than the non-privy version.

3. The 10oz and 1kg continue to be made. Whenever you bought there were less quantity in the market. As they are still being made, quantity is increasing. Not until the mint stops making them (in about 2 months time) will you truly know their numismatic rarity (or not).

10. SantozSilver

SantozSilver New Member

IMO in general, the privy coin worth more than the bullion.

As far as i observe, privy coin is aims to differentiate from the non-privy/bullion in terms of numismatic .It should have less mintage than the the non-privy/bullion, so the rarities is the big factor why people willing to pay more than the non-privy

11. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the one privy to discount them all :)