Best place to purchase in the UK

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Deano3, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Silverginger

Silverginger New Member

I guys,

Hello from a noob....

I've been searching for a while for spotish type prices and AUtrading stould out by miles..... but i'm a bit dubious

Question is has anyone dealt with them befor and come through pref over the 150 purchase mark?

2. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

i just ordered 152 order and i have been told they are good to deal with and many people on here use them i havent recieved order yet as only placed yesterday so will let u know when arrives

3. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

from AUtrading
    Dean

4. Silverginger

Silverginger New Member

Deano3 can you PM when it comes through please as i've come in late with the silver rush :)

Need to make up time.... got a couple of uni loans i can blow away..... :p jk

5. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

lol yeah should get a conformation email tomorro
    many ppl on here have said they use them so shouldnt be a problem, i am also brand new and feel i am missing out and want more and more

speak soon silver ginger

6. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Hi everybody following this thread.
    I have never used Baird or AUtrading and after checking some of their prices, allegedly the lowest margin in the UK, I smiled. I also noted the crap about how silver should be valued 20% higher because of the VAT. No bullion dealer will pay you the 20% element. Worse than that if they sell you secondhand coins the rate of VAT on the invoice will likely be 0% BUT the coin will be marked up 20%. Nice way of screwing the UK customer.
    Just ordered elsewhere ths weekend some proof gold Britannias and fractional Brits with Mint boxes and COAs at 4% above spot, not the 10% quoted by the allegedly cheapest so shop around, do your research and be careful.

7. RJP

RJP New Member

Hi I'm Richard from Southport, UK and this is my first post.

I'm really pleased I stumbled across this site because its interesting to see what a fellow stacker's views are on gold/silver. I can honestly say that despite stacking for approximately 2 years I've never had a conversation with a fellow stacker, except my uncle who got me into stacking. My friends think I'm crazy spending most of my hard earned cash on gold and silver.

I started off as a gold bug and watched it rise and then got into silver and watched it plummet!!. I do have reservations about purchasing silver in the UK, particularly due to the VAT element. My uncle warned me off it, however I'm still buying it

I initially bought from Baird & Co, however I buy mostly from Atkinson's now. I've not seen a cheaper dealer and they have a good selection.

8. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

thanks photonaware , what sites do u recoment and welcome rjp i am new to this just trying to pick things up etc, missed a package today so sure some silver arrived, will go get it tomorro my first bars looking forward to it, thanks for help so far everone

Dean

9. Silverginger

Silverginger New Member

look forward to that deano.... you doing a vid? i love watching unwrapping... Silver perv :p

10. Deano3

Deano3 New Member

silver per lol no not be doing a vid but will let u know when i get it and maybe a pic

hopefully all good, skint till next month now so no more silver till payday

11. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Hi Richard,
    Another Brit to add to the forum - welcome !
    Atkinsons regularly have special offers.
    I have used them several times to buy silver and gold coins.

I always check prices on BullionbyPost and as they have live spot charts I find that very useful.
    I tend to look at their 100 pc price to set a kind of benchmark.
    I then look at CoinInvestDirect, who tend to be the cheapest, before making any purchasing decisions.
    Shipping costs need to be factored into the total unit cost and for silver make sure you add the VAT.
    Often the headline cheapest can turn out not to be attractive.
    Need to be patient and check all your sums.

Silver stacking can become extremely addictive and I for one am definitely hooked.
    Be warned ... But it is a lot of fun sharing experiences and comments on this site.

12. RJP

RJP New Member

Thanks Photonaware I appreciated your comments.

There are certainly a few more UK dealers I am now aware of through SS which is very helpful. I guess it helps to shop around a bit more to find bargains and something a bit different.

Haha yes stacking is addictive although I shouldn't let greed cloud my judgement. This is the first real pullback/buying opportunity I've witnessed and the fluctuations (in fiat terms) are large which i didn't envisage last year. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I'm certainly in for the long haul.