Circulated Libertads vs shiny new rounds?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Kerosene, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Kerosene

Kerosene New Member

I'm looking at buying a few old circulated Libertads. I don't know much about buying circulated/junk - I've (nearly) always bought shiny and new.
    Other than the possibility that the old Libertads might be a tiny bit underweight due to wear, is there anything I need to consider?
    I'm buying for the ounces, but am happy to pay a few extra cents for old and interesting Libertads than shiny boring new rounds (e.g Scottsdales).

2. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

As long as they are legit I would be cool with them. Again depending on how many you plan to put into your stack. What ratio etc...

3. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Where would you find circulated libertads ? Aren't they bullion only coins like American eagles, kooks etc ?

4. Kerosene

Kerosene New Member

Tiny amount. Basically an impulse buy to get rid of some spare cash.

5. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I would not worry about slight wear and tear on Libertads. Very much doubt you could measure the loss in weight through handling, gold on the other hand is more of a concern at 60 times the price per gram.
    See a Libertad as a bullion round so value it at spot price.
    Someone might pay a few bucks more if collecting specific years rather than ounces.
    A virgin shiny coin always looks sweet however but doesn't normally sell for a higher price unfortunately.

6. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

sorry I misread and answered for uncirculated

Buy in sealed rolls of 20 from a dealer who buys direct from the Mexican Mint.
    I have several but be warned that the roll is akin to the inner tube of a toilet roll with silver coloured tape that peels off easily and a thin clear plastic top that looks as if it was hand cut from moulded plastic packaging. Pretty poor in actual fact, not like the Maple, Eagle or Philharmonic solid plastic tubes.

7. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Libertad has no engraved monetary value, but still minted by the Mexican Central Bank. This is the reason you can buy and sell them (don't have to be shiny) in Mexico at the teller windows of Banco Azteca according the daily listed price, instead of face value sale only.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For resale I would go with the boring new rounds, people in general don't seem to like any imperfections, especially on a bullion coin which is not meant to see any circulation.

Personally I would get the libertads but they would be to hold rather than to flip or resell.

Eventually they will all have to be sold to someone or taken to the grave, I haven't decided which way I am going to go on that one but shiney new rounds will outsell old ones most of the time.

If people want the libertads for collections they will probably want shiney new ones in mint condition anyway.

You could probably sell small numbers as curios.

9. SantozSilver

SantozSilver New Member

i choose the new one and the legit from your local dealer or your trusted seller. some people tend to look for the attractive design rather than it silver content.

But if you can get the new shiny libertads that cheaper than new round,so you have the answer.libertads :D

10. silverbulldog

silverbulldog New Member

i love libertad's ever since my first 1982 and 1984's i got...i like even the black and messed up ones. i don't care if they are toned, nicked, scratched, chewed, or anything else it just builds character on those Mexican bullion.

however i have some 2011's and 2012's in 1 oz and 5oz and they are next to pristine...i would say MS-68-MS-69

love these bullions!!

Silverbulldog