Copper/Brass medals cast by the Shanghai Mint..

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverfever, May 28, 2012.

1. silverfever

silverfever New Member

For those interested, I have included some pics on the presentation material for the 4 beauties set. I didn't include the pics of the actual medals themselves because I had already posted them earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. honson

honson New Member

Just Brought

[​IMG]

3. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Hi Honson,
    Nice medal. Do you mind me asking how much you paid and who you bought it from? Also some details like mintage , casting company and copper/brass would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

4. topstock

topstock New Member

"RMB 7000 - 8000, perhaps. If not mistaken, I saw one for sale at RMB 9000 not too long ago."

Thanks Low :)

5. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Water Margin group of 2 medals (Outlaws of the Marsh) by Shanghai Mint. Mintage for each medal 1000 Copper and 1000 Brass

Just received these from Luckmoneyro. Both Medals cost me $300 shipped by EMS. Luckmoneyro's internet store in Taobao is selling them for around the same price so at least I know that he is not ripping me off on these medals.

[​IMG]

Wu Song Fights The Tiger

[​IMG]

Yang Sells Knives

[​IMG]

6. dkhoowk

dkhoowk New Member

Wow.... Beautiful coins, can show the reverse side pic? What's the diameter? Thanks!

7. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Silverfever. Congratulations. Very excellents medals. I like both a lot.

8. silverfever

silverfever New Member

As per your request. Both medals have the same reverse. 80mm diameter.

[​IMG]

9. CODENAMELOVE

CODENAMELOVE New Member

i have recently been ordering from luckmoneyro. I HAVE BEEN PLEASED WITH WHAT I GET. I AM INFATUATED WITH THESE COPPER BRONZE MEDALS. I JUST ORDERED OFF EBAY FROM HIM WITH PAYPAL INVOICE. HAS ANYONE SENT ANYTHING IN TO BE GRADED? I WAS JUST ON CHINA MINT READING ABOUT PAGODA MEDALS AND THEY TALKED IN CIRCLES BUT ONE MEMBER MADE THE COMMENT THAT LUCKMONEYRO HAS ALL COUNTERFITS. WHAT DO YOU THINK? I LOVE WHAT I HAVE BOUGHT. LARGE SILVER 1220MM PANDA THE PREGNANT BEAUTY WITH PEARL AND MANY OTHER ITEMS. I MAY GO BANKRUPT. BUT NOW I AM CONCERNED ABOUT MEDALS BEING COUNTERFIT. I NEED TO STOP BUYING AND GET SOME AUTHENTICATED.

10. shibaji

shibaji New Member

Gold gilt pagoda medals sold by luckmoneyro are not counterfeit. Just ignore the crap at CCF regarding goldfish, pagoda and other premature fake discussions and speculations, you will be much better off. If you really have to know, wait for NGC to come up with a statement, or ask a Chinese dealer you trust.

To assure you: none of the medals sold by luckmoneyro is fake. Also here is a little more detail on pagoda versions:
    1984 90% silver, silver plated, gold gilt and copper

goldfish:
    1984 90% silver, silver plated, gold gilt
    1990 90% silver

11. CODENAMELOVE

CODENAMELOVE New Member

THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME. I FEEL BETTER. I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED DOING BUSINESS WITH THIS LUCKMONEYRO.

12. shibaji

shibaji New Member

BTW, I think your capslock on the keyboard is stuck :-D

13. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=1664

NGC recognizes three varieties of the Chinese 1984 Goldfish Medal sets and one of the 1990 set.

For most people that collect modern Chinese medals, the fish sets of 1984 and 1990 has been the area of much discussion, confusion and bewilderment. Unverifiable minting records had set the stage for such lack of clarity and has left only our imagination and presumptions to interfere with the facts. After extensive research to determine their validity, however, NGC is now recognizing the following fish medals and their varieties.

1984 goldfish sets are distinguishable by one fish on the obverse. We can confirm three varieties, all of which differ in metal content. The first is a gilt brass, the second contains 90% silver and the thirds consists of silver plated brass. The images shown of these medals display our attribution information on our labels ........

14. silverfever

silverfever New Member

Same here. The nice thing about these bronze\brass\copper medals is that you get an amazing large medal with beautiful detail, limited mintage and heft for a relatively reasonable price when compared to the silver medals. I am not too worried about Luckmoneyro selling counterfeit medals especially the newer issues like the pregnant beauty and pearl because the effort to cast one of these medals with the fine craftsmanship and packaging would not make it worthwhile. I think the collector base for these medals inside and outside of China is miniscule compared to collectors of Chinese Silver Coins. Much more profitable to fake higher margin and higher volume silver\ gold coins.

15. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

I dont think you have a problem............. I just did send 28 pcs into NCS....will post as soon as info is available ,i am not concerned about my purchase ,all that chatter about moneypro calmed down the moment NGC came out and legitimized all the variations of plated goldfish.............

16. dkhoowk

dkhoowk New Member

Hi, did you sent 28 pcs of copper / bronze medal for grading? And are you going to sell them here? Can disclose what you sent? Thanks!

17. CODENAMELOVE

CODENAMELOVE New Member

i have to believe luckmoneyro is at least trying to be honesy. i have been looking on jiti.com site and a couple other sites that i learned of from posts on this site. i asked him if he had a particular medal and he did. i have spent all my money until 7/3/12 and asked him to hold it for me. if i understand the email he sent me after i agreed to price he wanted .........he sent it to me before i paid for it. i do not think a crook would do that. i think he is trying to build a client base for these. the more he sells the bigger his own discount. i was reading an article on pgcs site and it stated these medals were having a hard time finding a market as many coin collectors reject them. also pcgs stated in anews release yesterday that they will start grading these medals from china. as long as they can find it in abook to get it'S SPECIFICATIONS.

18. silverfever

silverfever New Member

I think that you are right. His prices are quite competitive even when compared to Chinese websites like Tabaoo. When you are free please share some pics of the medals that you have picked up from Luckmoneyro. Having said that I just dropped some more $ for more medals from Luckmoneyro.

19. Catseye

Catseye New Member

moneypro or luckmoneyro? There is a seller of counterfeits with "moneypro" as a part of his name.

20. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

luckmoneyro