difference between silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by long88, Jun 19, 2012.

1. long88

long88 Member

hi all,

newbie questions here

what is the difference between the 10 oz silver bullion minted bars (NTR) $313.43 on kjc bullion and Perth Mint 10oz Silver Bar ($322.90).

both silver, but there is small price difference, and ntr comes with pvc heat sealed, whilst perth mint doesnt ? does the silver bar will go through oxidation over time ?

thx.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes it will oxidise over time. The difference is they look different. (not being smart or anything, one is minted the other is just a nice ol' shot o' silver) People generally prefer Perth mint bars.

Doesn't affect the resale if it tarnishes. Give me a black bar with the perth mint seal anyday.

3. dex

dex Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi mate, welcome im new here too!!! I saw the NTR and thought i'd reply as someone offered to sell me a OPM/NTR 1kg bar the other day. They're made from recycled silver at Ohio Precious Metals and are 99.95% i rekon they look good for a plain bar as it has the "recycle" logo on it, but not keen on the number 5 being on the bar itself lol, even though i believe they're all rated at 99.95, tho the 5 makes it look 'less' to us noobs and imo they prob should of just stuck with the 999 digits. Other than that i'd be willing to buy one. Bit off topic... and rambling as im due for sleep.
    Anyway go for what you like, i've heard the Perth Mint ones are scratched to the max as its only bullion(tho highly recognised). But if this is your first time ;) buying bullion that is :p then buy a nice shiny one, a keeper if you will, like that NTR 10oz or pretty PAMP :D. Afterwards just stack whatevers cheap and easily recognised, as its only bullion and not the pretty coins.

https://www.kjc-gold-silver-bullion.com.au/CT/silver-bars/12
    pretty sure your bar is on there first up, scroll down to the 1kg opm/ntr an have a peek. Save for one of them i rekon!....or just get a PAMP.

Peace.

4. xRebirthed

xRebirthed New Member

Pamp are nice, but with premium. Or just get Johnson Matthey Serialized Silver Bar.

5. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

I am with spanner on this one, prefer the stackers

7. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Silver does not react with O2 readily

It does tarnish i.e. sulfidation

2 Ag + H2S ----> Ag2S + H2

This is only surface deep and does not extend into the bar as rust extends into Iron. So even in a heavily tarnished bar it would still be .999 even with the extra S on the surface (AFAIK).

Bars look crap anyway and most of the premium comes from size, if bars it has to be stackers are my choice. Go with 1oz kooks instead if you want a suggestion

8. fantuzzi

fantuzzi Member Silver Stacker

Perth mint bars for me

9. long88

long88 Member

spanner: why stackers bar ? any particular reason ?

and why is perth minth so popular ? and i presume NTR is not that good then ? as prices dictated.

i have collected heat sink, board from pc, faulty power supply. i assume those sort of thing will be recycled by NTR ?

thx for all the feed back.

10. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just cause I like them ,WHY IS PERTH MINT SO POPULAR :lol:
    Because they are ;) you don't mention where you are from ,basically buy local products ,that way you can sell them easily .
    Don't waste your time & $ on heat sinks & power supplies ,I'm pretty sure NTR want touch ;)

11. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

G'day, I've been reading some posts here and thought i'd join in aswell.

we've been buying 10oz silver bars too.
    with no knowledge of all the different bars available it was an easy
    decision to buy perth mint bars living in australia.

Having now seen online the various silver bars available,
    I understand the appeal of some of the pretty minted bars.
    pamp bars in particular are nice but we just can't justify the higher price now owning one.
    pamp in english stands for artistic precious metals products, what is the big deal with that name?
    it really isn't a recognised name in australia appart from people into bullion, perth mint is known by most,
    very easy to recognise the brand here in Australia so it's really a no brainer when it comes to buying silver in australia.

But I guess like most, we are a bit bored with perth mint bars unless we find the 20oz bars which are our favorite size.
    the only interesting part about them is they are all different in a way, so we divide them into nice ones to keep
    and shabby ones to melt.

lately we've been buying 10oz coins instead, koala's & kookaburra's but not from perth mint,
    they are cheaper from online stores.
    the 10oz coins are still cheaper then a pamp 10oz bar yet the difference is like chalk & cheese.
    I guess I can talk about it but you just have to hold a 10oz pamp bar and a 10oz koala and see for yourself.

there's only one place to buy perth mint bars, that's from the perth mint, their coins are expensive
    but for some reason their bars are priced well.
    it's been a long time since a 10oz bar was under $300 so my folks are making a big order,
    a bar is $299 today and 10oz coins elsewhere are a great price too.

Personally I like small pieces of bullion, they call them fractionals.
    little 5 gram silver bars and little silver coins like 1/10oz
    I love 'em and collect heaps, the best are scottsdale silver i'd say, but maybe because there isn't much available
    to buy so not much choice appart from scottsdale.
    the 5 gram scottsdale bars are getting really hard to find too, I don't know how many they made
    but obviously not enough.

12. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Helps to compare the total cost of a purchase including delivery & insurance when doing price comparisons.

13. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I cannot believe anyone buys from the perthmint when you take into account the shipping :eek: mind blowing $$$

14. SantozSilver

SantozSilver New Member

the price differences come from reputation of the company it self. If the company well-known as producer of good quality material, most of them will rise their price little bit higher rather than competitor. more of them can be found in marketing knowledge

because NTR not as famous as Perthmint, so they give added value in their product with pvc heat sealed to compete with other and help the sales. Meanwhile for Perth Mint, because they assume their product is good, the don't need to add something in their product, the quality product it self will help the sales

IMO, i would choose which item that well-known in your region and has lowest prices. If they are equal, you can choose which one that you like

15. miniroo

yes i'd imagine if you bought just one or two bars it would be expensive. it does balance out with volume though.

so maybe don't buy from perth mint.
    but the rest of what I said might be of interest to you.

16. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I have found the more you buy the more expensive the shipping gets. Also you should not feed the perthmint, it is a voracious beast whos main aim in to enrage stackers (oh and they make some great product) :p

17. miniroo

well each bar is now only $291
    $8 per bar off from our conversation yesterday.
    so they must of read this thread and instead of lowering the insurance price, they lowered the bars. same same.

folks believe if we wait until next week, perth mint will drop the prices even lower and actually pay for us to drive up on the weekend and pick the order up instead of waiting for the courier and paying delivery.

I want to see a gold pour at the mint too, that will be interesting.