Singapore trip

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by digoxin, Jun 17, 2012.

1. digoxin

digoxin Member Silver Stacker

I struggled to find which forum to post this; so apologies upfront if inappropriate. I figured most of the Singaporean folks check out the Panda forum

Going for a family holiday(wife and 2 kids -2yo/4yo) in early July for 10 days.

Looking for advice about coin related activities / shops / musuems that would be worth checking out in Singapore. Any local Singaporean coin worth considering?

Also happy to receive suggestions about places and activites to take the kids too. Looking to do the typical tourist Zoo/Night Safari/Sentosa.

I lived in Singapore during my teen years but it was when Under One Roof was a TV hit and have lost most of that Singlish lingo.

Haven't booked the accommodation yet but looking to stay in Holiday Inn Orchard for a week and splurge a couple of nights at Marina Sands. Any other suggestions.

We have budgeted that we would need about $2000 SGD and thought instead of bringing OZ dollars I could bring some coin/bars in exchange for local currency. I understand GST relief of $600 per traveller so $2000 keeps us under that threshold.

I am in Melbourne and the local dealers are Goldstackers and Bullionaire(Adrenalin)

www.goldstackers.com.au
    www.bullionaire.com.au

Personally I have got

2004 Beijing Expo Pandas

http://forums.silverstackers.com/to...004-beijing-expo-panda-ms69-with-box-coa.html

most of the 2012 Perth Mint Silver Dragon bullion coins(mostly non privy 1oz and some high relief 1oz but also a bit of everything)

Happy to source anything as long as it in Melbourne

Sorry leaving on the day of the ANDA Melbourne Show for anyone looking for the Melbourne ANDA coin.

$2000 sgd probably doesn't add up to much weight or volume so I plan to take the coins as carry on baggage

Hoping to do f2f at the hotel lobby where I am staying.

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

GoldClubAsia forums is a good place to ask for info too... lotsa Singaporeans there :)

3. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When I was last there I visited Monetarium Singapore. Had a good range and seemed to be reasonable prices at the to time. Was surprised to see a large range of Perth Mint stuff there. They seemed to like aussie stuff above most others.

4. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

The Singapore Coins and Notes Museum underwhelmed me. It is an ordinary coin shop with almost entirely new coins (and watches and other tourist stuff) for sale. There are just a handful of Chinese coins for sale. Prices were decidedly on the high side, too. The only "exhibit" I saw was a large stone coin outside the front of the shop.

The one plus is that the store is in Chinatown. It's a great area to be a tourist. And the seafood restaurant across the way from the museum is pretty good. If you have kids there is a Tin-Tin store nearby. That's a must-see for them.

[​IMG]
    Singapore Chinatown

[​IMG]
    Singapore Coins and Notes Museum

[​IMG]
    Singapore Coins and Notes Museum

[​IMG]
    Buddhist temple in Chinatown, Singapore

[​IMG]
    The Tin-Tin store

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    China Pricepedia
    http://www.pandacollector.coma

5. HustliN

HustliN New Member

yeah chinatown coin store is neat. agree with the slightly high prices but a decent sample of all the nations bullion coins. worth a look. chinatown is nice. i also found a coin store like 2 blocks away from china town. has mostly new bullion coins. again worth a look.

yeah i think staying is orchad is nice. make sure you visit sentosa. spent a day there. that was my favorite. i stayed in geylang. it was near sentec. but i dont think thats appropriate area for famiilies lol

i highly recommend the duck tours. my favorite was the bus pass. I got it for 2 days. I would get it more if I could do it again. cause with the bus pass u can travel pretty much anymore. plus its a blast sitting on top of the deck bus. i also tried the water boat tour thing around marina bay. it was alright... it wasnt worht the 30~ SGD imo.

oh i wish i stayed at marina bay and went into the infinity pool

6. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

recent news

Body of German tourist found at foot of MBS tower

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_810785.html

The body of a German tourist was found near the foot of one of the three towers at Marina Bay Sands (MBS) on Tuesday afternoon.

The 46-year-old man is believed to have fallen from the integrated resort's SkyPark, which is about 200m, or 56 storeys, above ground level.

Police said they received a call at 3pm that day, informing them that a body was lying motionless in Bayfront Avenue, where MBS is located. Singapore Civil Defence Force paramedics later pronounced the man dead at the scene. He was said to have suffered multiple injuries.

A spokesman for MBS on Wednesday confirmed that the body was found on the grass verge along the East Coast Parkway (ECP) near MBS.

7. yennus

Apart from that possible homicide, Singapore is probably the safest (and cleanest) place on the planet. :)

8. ykk

ykk New Member

You may want to take a look at Resort World Sentosa obviously at Sentosa and Universal Studio if you dun mind the ticket price! :)

There is also a food street within RWS that features some Malaysian Street Food. I had tried and is quite good I would say. Detail is in the link below :-

http://www.rwsentosa.com/language/en-US/ShoppingDining/Dining/DiningMalaysianFoodStreet

The zoo is quite fun and suits your children and there is a children play area where they can get wet! Bus services is available at Orchard Area to take you there directly. See the follow link.

http://www.zoo.com.sg/l2_t2.aspx?l2=11&l1=2&langid=1

Wish you a happy trip!

Cheers,

9. digoxin

Thanks lot to everyone that has contributed to this thread as well as the numerous helpful PMs I have received.

Only one left of the Beijing Expo Panda. Sounds looks like a bit interest in the older year Kooks.

GoldClubAsia looks Silver Stacker Asia style and has a great vibe.

Peter. I had a good chuckle with your photo of the world's largest coin which looks a like a Nigerian scam.

ykk thanks for the food tip at Sentosa.

Definitely going to make the Zoo, Sentosa, the Duck trip.

I also promised my 4yo girl to take shopping for Hello Kitty stuff as well as some good macaroons.

Anyone got a favourite dessert shop or Hello Kitty tips?

Getting excited about the trip. While Asian food is good in Australia really miss good honest hawker store food. Also haven't had fresh sugar cane and authentic ice kachang for a while.

10. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

Wow digoxin sounds like this trip will be off the chain Singapore rules !

I hope you and your family have a great time man enjoy !!! :)

11. xRebirthed

xRebirthed New Member

:D :D :D :D :D

12. xRebirthed

xRebirthed New Member

Old airport road hawker center: a lot of famous Singapore cuisine.
    Singapore Flyers: The ice kacang there not bad.

Common Tourist Attraction: Zoo(+ Night Safari), Sentosa, Singapore Flyers.

Must to do: http://www.ducktours.com.sg/

Hotel: MBS???

13. yennus

ahaha... :)
    geylang... definitely not appropriate for families! :)

14. wllee

wllee New Member

If you prefer prefer a quaint afternoon walk, can try Ang Siang Road next to Club Street. Quite a few nice cafe, old 2-storey shop houses turned into boutique book shops and clothing shops. Do note that the prices of the stuff there may be slightly on the high side. Then there is the nearby Maxwell market for the Singapore hawker centre food. My personal recommendation is the chicken rice there. ;)

15. yennus

The Botanical Gardens near Tanglin Mall is also nice... free too! :)

It's a nice leisurely stroll down from Orchard Rd too.

16. wllee

wllee New Member

+1. Agree that botanical gardens is nice too! :)

And if you are game enough to try the local king of the fruit Durian (it's basically a love it or hate it fruit) which is in season when you arrive, do try the fruit stall named "Combat: Air force" (yup, that's the name of the stall) along Balestier Road. Super nice durians at very reasonable bargainable prices. Do go around 7-9pm as they tend to close early due to their good business. Be sure to ask to try a taste of the fruit first before commitng to buy, it does have a pretty strong taste that will linger with you for quite a while. Sgd$40 should get you some good ones, much cheaper than the ones at Geylang when you compare fruit for fruit. :)

17. digoxin

You guys are cracking me up about Geylang. I lived long enough in Singapore to know not to wander along to Geylang.

Love Durians. My grand parents had a fruit plantation in Malaysia where we use to push them off the trees with a long pole. You get to frozen tasteless ones in Australia.

18. Lim

Lim New Member

"I lived in Singapore during my teen years but it was when Under One Roof was a TV hit and have lost most of that Singlish lingo."

I guess most of them miss this part 'har' ( singapore singlish )
    :)

19. серебро

серебро New Member

I was in the Philipines with my family last week and there is no way I can eat Durian. :(

20. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

now is durian season, so bring some salt with you...after eating you need to drink salted water.

buy the sultan quality ones, you will enjoy opening the the durians yourself :lol: