Buying experience at Ainslie

Discussion in 'Silver' started by dragafem, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

hee hee... you're a joker :lol: have to invite you to my party :p

lets have an example everyone can relate to; not just bullion dealers. Imagine you are the owner of a car yard, selling everything from Rolls Royce to beaten up pieces of rusted junk worth $500, and lets imagine you're the only salesman when a 18 yr old comes in, you deal with him and he's jabbering on about some $500 piece of junk you're selling, and then in walks a regular of yours, who has come to pick up a new Rolls Royce, as this is the special day each year. And you know he does not like waiting.

What do you do? I know what 99.99% of the rest of the population would do.

EDIT: It'll be great to have a guy with x-ray vision at my party :p as you must have also x-rayed that guy's pockets (nb: this is called "a body scan") to ensure that he was not concealing any gold in there.

EDIT2: "arf arf arf..." (Note: This is the sound made by Pluto, Goofy's dog.)

2. projack

projack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No problem with Ainslie if you know exactly what you want and you do not relay information from them regarding your decisions.
    Actually I done very well with them, just because they think they are smatter than me just because they run a larger operation. Obviously they made money on me, but that is insignificant on the profit I made on them on numismatic values.

3. Spode

Spode Member

I've always been treated with respect there, and been served well, and had a good chat with them. I find them to be the best in Brisbane to buy from.

I always buy cash, I have never heard of bullion not being bought using cash. That is the whole point. You can't trace my cash or my bullion and it's price for price directly, not need to wait till spot moves by the time the bank clears your cash.

4. MetalMajix

MetalMajix Member

Not enough competition in Brisbane where you can walk in pick up.

There's an opening for someone!

5. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

5mill and $5 hypothetically ...respect was the word you should pay attention...how do you know how much money I wanna spend:) and if you like to be pushed around just because you feel the people with more money deserve more respect,no more I can say...I work hard for my goddamn money and if i wanna spend , I want respect ,if not next time I will take it somewhere else...there are heaps of other stores would welcome that with wide open arms:)

6. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Look you had a simple choice to make after this event:

1. Be offended at your perceived poor treatment, announce it to anybody that would listen and never go back to that dealer again.

2. Brush it off as a 'oh well shit happens they were having a busy day' event and continue going back regardless.

You've obviously taken option 1.

That means you will miss out on any 'buy back' coin bargains that might pop up there in the future.
    And as Projack has said, that does happen.

7. dragafem

yes,I would like the buy back coin bargain option which he refused to check ..so what is reason to go back? buy that ugly bar of theirs?:)

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Well if you visited again a number of times you might have figured out what times of the day they are busy and then try going when they are not busy and ask to look at their coins.

There are a number of dealers I've dealt with for years that are happy to have a chat if you visit at the end of a slow day, but don't have much time for you if the shop is full just before lunch.
    On the slow days you can ask what they've got out the back, and sometimes you do pick up a nice bargain.
    Even the nicest dealers have said to me 'No I'm too busy to go look in the safe now'.

9. SULLA

SULLA Member Silver Stacker

You just lost a customer mate!

:lol:

10. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I have noticed that if you brush off any real or imagined offense and just try to make a relationship with them (by talking w them and being a good customer) there are many benefits such as ainslie giving me leeway in my purchases when I bought 2 boxes of dragon coins and being able to purchase items not available yet. As in anything you only get what you put in.

11. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

Agreed. In the old shop, Brian has searched through his gold bullion coin collection for me on more than one occasion, so that I now possess a nice collection of earlier year kangaroos/nuggets. And also offered to set aside for me additional gold tigers, even though I mentioned I did not have any money for them at the time.

12. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I respectfully disagree.

If I spent $5million at an establishment and they treated me like I was only spending $5 that'd be the last they saw of me and my money and that is assuming that I completed the transaction.

That being said, my employer spends over $40,000 a week with one supplier. Now if my customer was spending $40k a week with me and they asked for their order to be delivered on a blue pallet I'd deliver their order on a blue pallet. How about an order worth $60k? You'd think you could get that delivered as per your request. Instead in order to save $200 in transport costs that $60k order wasn't to our request.

13. dragafem

yeah,I remember the dragon situation...what a turmoil that was:)

14. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

^^^
    Agree with this 100%

Both Brian and Geoff have the crusty exterior, but just a chat while doing the paperwork will do a world of good for you.

I went in a few years ago to pick up some $200 gold coins I had paid for online, started having a chat, and they gave me the pick of them. They had all the later, rarer years available which I obviously snapped up. Also they gave me the tour of their vault, showing how little silver they had available (which was the subject of the chat).

I guess they need to have the default crusty/negative exterior, because of (a) they line of work they are in, and (b) they type of people this sometimes attracts.

15. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good post with many comments.
    this is Brisbane only in a world of dealers.
    Come to Hobart & the only options is a coin dealer & AEJ.
    The ladies @ AEJ know me by my first name & are still a struggle to deal with.
    Have walked out of shop when more than 2-3 people in store.
    Have made phone contact to lock in buy/sell prices.
    As for security, not a great lot, but what I can't se , I don't know.
    When I walk out with bullion on my body, I am TOTALLY aware of who is who.
    When buying from SS members in Hobart I ALWAYS make the meet in a bank foyer or work place with security cameras.
    But any day of the week would rather buy online from SS members.
    Please all be aware of the possibilty of theft or scams................

16. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sorry, I disagree.

All the justifications in the world for poor customer service cannot excuse lack of common courtesy.

I don't think I will ever step foot in their door.

17. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Im with you nugget if theres a good client il paint the fkn pallet myself & drag it there if i have to . :lol: With large spending habits comes priviledges ..

18. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm with Dragafem.

And remember we are talking shopfront retail, not wholesale suppliers. So the chances of the guy behind the counter knowing how much I have in my wallet are virtually zero if he's judging by something as superficial as the way I dress.

This reinforces my comments on a recent thread of a similar topic: (http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-26693-another-retailer-goes-under-retravision-page-1.html)

19. RoboTrader

RoboTrader Member

Been to Ainslie heaps and never had any issues I can recall. Never forget when Brian showed me the 10kg Rabbit :cool:

I was a little shocked when i first went to the new premises though- with the George4Title youtube videos in the waiting room :/

20. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

went this morning and all is nice