Silver Coin Rings

Discussion in 'Silver' started by wilkes, Jun 8, 2012.

1. wilkes

wilkes Member

Hey all!

Many of you have heard of, or own silver coin rings. But for those who don't I would love to show you one I just picked online.

Below is a 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar made from 90% Silver. It has been shaped by a craftsman into a perfect ring, retaining much of its original splendour.

Being one of my favourite legal tender ring designs, I was very happy to have found one at a good price, that would ship to Australia. I asked the seller for one in my size and he responded immediately by advising he would custom make me one the next day And he did! Great seller too.

Enough talk, enjoy this beautiful ring. The seller included the line: "Now no matter where you are, you will always have cash on hand."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S. A very quick search on the American ebay will find this seller for you :)

2. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

That's actually one of the better rings I've seen - I like the way he's reeded the edges and kept a lot of the coin detail so it's clearly visible - he's obviously done it a few times to get the process right :p

3. wilkes

wilkes Member

Yes, alot of useful information on his selling page. He has been doing it for decades and is very experienced.

The quality of his work is extremely good too, the coins he uses are in extremely good condition...

Now I want a few more! Even considering sending a gold coin for him to convert for me.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Feel free to post a link to his eBay account.

Looks like he's shaved the reeding off of a coin, and reformed it for the coin edging - neat.

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Only problem is he has destroyed currency which is a bit of a no-no.

6. wilkes

wilkes Member

I have researched it and there is a clause for both silver and gold legal tender coins. So there isn't a no-no. (American legal tender.)

7. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

That is true but one of the coin acts has made it OK to melt the silver US stuff so I reckon it might be alright. But then again, the Texas Rangers don't make their badges out of Silver Dollars because technically they are still legal tender. Instead they us Mexican 5 Peso Cuauhtmoc coins.

Contrary to the last statement however, coins may be made into jewelry (defaced) as long as the seller is not trying to pass off the product as legal tender for debts.

Anyway, I think it is rather cool how the jeweler has preserved the reeding on at least one side. Very neat. It maintains more of a coin feel for the ring.

8. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

There's quite a few videos on youtube about making rings from coins. This guy shows the process all done by hand.

9. silver87

silver87 New Member

wow looks great!!

10. wilkes

wilkes Member

That isnt the process at all. The one you posted was the time consuming hammering system that only gives small detail on the inside of the ring.

The ring I have is made with special tools to leave detail on the inside and outside, while retaining the beautiful edging on one side. Its incredible.

11. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker