Silver Coins VS Silver Rounds

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Silversun, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Silversun

Silversun New Member

Good Morning Stackers,

What are peoples views on stacking coins i am a bullion man but i am look to get some smaller denominations in my stack, I have brought a mix of 6 coins and rounds as a keep sake. but I am trying to toss up which will be the most suitable for a higher yield,

I have Currently have one of each of the following.

Scottsdale 1oz Bullion (NO FACE VALUE)
    Scottsdale 1oz Omnia Round (NO FACE VALUE)
    Canadian Maple Leaf Coin ($5 Dollar Face Value) = $4.93 AUD
    American Silver Eagle ($1 Face Value) = $1.02 AUD
    Armenian Noah Arc (500 Dram Face value) = $1.25 AUD
    Austria Philharmonic (1.50 Euro Face Value) = $1.90 AUD

I am personally thinking that i would Probably go for the Omnia rounds because They are a few dollars less than the coins which means i will be able to generate more oz's and i am interested only in the intrinsic value not so much the numismatic, I can see that stacking coins can have an advantage of being more liquid and may be worth more in a numismatic sense that its intrinsic value.

I am having a little Trouble seeing all the pros and cons here and I purchase 100 oz a time so i am wanting to get as much information before I make my decision.

atm I am torn between the Maple Leafs and the Scottsdale Omnia Rounds

I also recall a lil piece of info that American Silver Eagles can only be minted with American Silver which is interesting, I have tried to research this but haven't come up with anything so i don't know how much truth is to the previous statement.

Please everyone share your thoughts :)

2. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Looking forward to this!!!! :)

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Without a doubt and emphatically pick up some of the reminted kookaburras you will not go wrong!!
    To be counterfeit resistant I would go with a small mintage coin that changes pattern every year = kookaburra.

4. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agreed... by replicating the same design year after year, it makes it easier for counterfeiters to make good copies.

5. CDNstacker

CDNstacker New Member

FYI the American silver eagles can be made with silver produced outside the U.S.

6. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Assuming premiums are the same, coins over rounds any day. Of that list you have, the order of preference would be:

1. Maples
    2. Philharmonic
    3. ASE
    4. Noah's Arc
    5. Either of the two Scotsdale rounds mentioned.

Nb. You could reverse 1st and 2nd, pretty much a toss up there but Maples would have a higher recognition factor in north america than the philharmonic when you go to sell so would probably be an advantage.

7. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

Rounds tend to be more expensive per oz than bars so if price is the only consideration you should shop around for the cheapest bars.
    When selling, coins will likely fetch a higher price than rounds so my preference is to buy coins only.
    Buying 100 at a time is a good way of amortising shipping costs and if buying the dips, best of luck.
    Philharmonics are very shiny and very well minted, but they have a smooth rim, not reeded like other coins. Buy in plastic tubes of 20.
    Eagles are sold in tubes of 20 and I too was led to believe that they had to be minted from USA silver.
    Maples tend to be marginally the lowest cost yet the highest purity. Sold in tubes of 25. However they are an uninspiring coin and can suffer from the dreaded milk spots and other blemishes.
    I like the Mexican Libertads from half oz to kilo sizes.
    Big fan of Perth Mint coins as they are very attractive and supplied in clear capsules. Love the proof versions.
    In the UK a very nice coin is the silver Britannia but I think you pay tax on that one down under.

8. Silversun

Silversun New Member

Hey thanks for all the replies :D :D

I am seeing that the Coins have many upsides more so than the rounds and perhaps they are worth the extra premiums.

I should stop being such a tight ass and pay the higher premium for coins lol.

Interesting to see that another stacker is also under the impression that ASE had to be minted with USA Silver. If so it could suggest that the coins may hold their value if silver got more scarce in the USA. But i had another search still nothing, Probably something they just tell the silver punters :p.

What about the Perth Mint Koala 1 Oz Coins.

http://www.bullionclub.com.au/produ...r-Bullion-Coin-%2d-2012-Australian-Koala.html

9. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

No love for Koala in Aus so unless you plan on relocating to the US go kooks or 2 or 5oz dragons

10. Silversun

Silversun New Member

lol No love fore the Koalas sad :p

[​IMG]

11. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I learnt this the hard way. A year or so back, I was looking at buying 100 x koala's or 100 x Kooks from Gainesville (why from Gainesville is a totally seperate story :) ). Anyway, the price for the two different designs was exactly the same. So I flipped a coin and went koalas. It didn't take long before the prices for the kooks increased to a premium over spot approx $2 more than that of the koalas. Guess the moral of the story is that I give up two up type decision making in favour of better research.

Re: rounds. I have quite a few of these. In my mind, coins will always be a better "model" of silver than rounds and hence the higher premiums. But when I am looking only at procuring .999 silver at as close to spot as possible, when the price is right I'll run with rounds over bars anytime. And at 1 oz, they are a handy shape/size. All in all, a mixed bag spreads risk and maximises flexibility of resale for profit ie bars, rounds, coins, numismatics and a healthy mix of gold and silver.

12. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Yeah I had the choice between 100 ASEs and 100 S2 rabbits (at issue price) and went with ASEs as silver is silver :| more oz and all that, been kicking myself ever since! What a putz

13. Lurkalot

Lurkalot New Member

I'm more geared towards things turning ugly.real ugly. I honestly think we haven't seen anything like as ugly as we are going to see. In fact I don't think we've even had a whiff of how bad things are going to turn.but that's another story.

Consequently, my strategy is to go for coins, I never touch rounds. The reason being I believe that (when in a SHTF situation) you will need clearly recognisable silver. People aren't going to 'arse about' trying to decide if some obscure round that they have never seen before is genuine or not they're going to want to deal with something they know, or have seen before, or at least have heard of.

Beyond that, all I would suggest is that you go for most 'bang for your buck'. An ounce of silver is an ounce of silver. It's very easy to fall in love with the Perth Mint coins, the Kookaburras and Koalas are really beautiful coins, but if you were in the UK or the USA for example, would you really get back the extra you spent on them over say a Libertad or a silver Eagle? I doubt it. People would see an ounce of silver as just thatan ounce of silver, and they are not going to pay more/exchange more goods for one over the other just because it looks prettier or has a nicer picture on it.

One very important thing to remember is that most people don't have a clue about silver (or gold). As you're here on the SS website you obviously know more than most people do, you're doing some researchasking questionswhich is great. In fact, it's the way to go. But 99.9% of the world's population know very little (if anything) about precious metals, which is one reason why I think it's essential to keep your stack as easily recognisable as possible to the masses.

Get the best price you can (obviously). Keep it mainstream, and keep it well known whatever that might be in your part of the world.

Just my opinion.

Peace and love Stackers.

14. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

How clearly recognisable is an average silver coin? I would hazard a guess that 95% of Australians have never heard of a kookaburra (coin) let alone it's value. So if you were trading your silver for something else, it in fact may be a difficult process regardless of the type of silver you have. Now a 9kt or 18kt gold ring or necklace may be a different scenario. I'm willing to bet that the latter would be easier to trade. Grab a carton of vodka or rum if you are worried about SHTF and are looking for a tradeable good. :)

15. Lurkalot

Lurkalot New Member

I don't see the point in making things harder for yourself by buying obscure, or at least less identifiable, rounds. Like I said...just my opinion.

I did go on to say "to keep your stack as easily recognisable as possible"

Actually...shiney...you are a genius!! I now have the perfect excuse to load the garage to the roof with vodka :D

16. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I don't get why people think round 50s and pre dec would be good in a SHTF? With a kookaburra you have weight and material (in the price quoted for precious metals) written on the coin. With round 50s and pre dec you would either have to find someone who knew their silver content or try convince them "this one is 13.28 gm @ 80%, this on is 2.83 gm @ 92.5% and this one is 5.66 gm @ 50%... what you failed maths A?!"

Get a kook and round 50 and try it on a friend and you will be surprised at the result

17. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

I think in a shtf people would soon learn to know what round 50s silver content is. If shtf percieved value of silver wont be $30oz. Even now having round 50s are great for making up the difference in trades.

Also if you plan on living in Australia then id go for coins that are most common over here. Alot less of aust coins have been faked compared to your list above

18. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Highly doubt it.

Average people nowadays are so stupid they need a "cost per 100g" to compare prices at Coles.

For an average person, to understand "this is one oz pure silver" is easier than "this is 27g and contains 92.5% of silver content".

However the counterpoint is Sovs were used historically... and they aren't 999 or of a rounded weight

Anyway nobody knows what SHTF will bring or if it'll even come so it's all guesswork here.

19. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^^^^^^^

What thatguy said - you're mad not buying some of those remints at the price they are being offered. Don't ignore the semi-numismatic element in some coins - the S2 Perth Mint Lunar absurdity showed the opportunity. As the allure of bullion increases so will the allure of limited mintages imo. Demand will go up.

Don't fart around with rounds if you can buy limited mintage coins at just a small increase in premium, and don't fart around with maples, philharmonics, eagles if you can get a much lower mintage coin that changes its design regularly, again imo

Bars are ok for brute stacking.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-363209.html#p363209

20. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

there is pen and paper, to write the price of the items on
    or chalk on black board :)

so simple and we just thinking too much.

all we can do is to call it "fishball silver rates, price list" :lol: