Cool new Diamond Jubilee Gold High Relief from Pobjoy Mint..

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by cu29640, May 31, 2012.

1. cu29640

cu29640 New Member

Their stock photos of the silver version do not look good...but this real pic makes a difference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What ,do you work for the Pobjoy mint,that's the second time today you have put up this coin
    Pobjoy mint/Franklin mint all crap ,not collectible at all

3. cu29640

cu29640 New Member

I realized I posted the original in the wrong section. Sorry it offended you. I have seen some nice stuff from Pobjoy and then some bad stuff. People buy their coins so they must be collectible to many. All that matters is the quality and the eye appeal and with that said Franklin Mint produced coins and medals at their own mint that far surpass the quality of any of todays world mints. The FM of the past decade is the not the same company as it was when it was the worlds largest private mint.

4. spannermonkey

I'm not offended :D
    It just looked like a marketing ploy to me ;)
    If that's a high relief :rolleyes: ,looks like a very poor die to me .
    I've never seen a Pobjoy mint product that's worth collecting .I still put them in the same basket as Franklin Mint

5. cu29640

cu29640 New Member

I will withhold judegement as to quality once I see it in person. But Franklin Mint strike quality was the finest in the world. In the 70's Joseph Segal had a staff of the finest sculptors in the world...Gilroy Roberts, Bill Cousins, Phillip Nathan plus about 50 more in the US and UK. Not to mention the designers and artists that supported that staff.

Here are some examples:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cu29640

cu29640 New Member

This is an attempt to delete a duplicate post

7. spannermonkey

With those last few pics ,I believe you work for one of the mints
    As I said before ,all those aftermarket mints DON'T MAKE ANYTHING WORTH OWNING
    I don't know anybody who collects it ,and ALL the Franklin mint stuff I see in Aus gets melted ;)

8. cu29640

cu29640 New Member

Those are pics from my collection taken with my Nikon D90. I don't buy for investment..only what I enjoy owning. If you have old Franklin Mint sets in perfect shape with a parts they bring nice premiums on Ebay. Some of their other products like model cars bring a large premium for discontinued items. Franklin Mint no longer mints or does that much of anything. I am not a big fan of the designs of many Perth Mint and Canadian Mint items. Canada uses a lot of digital design causing the sculpts to look choppy. Some of Perth's color pieces look silly. But I still appreciate the fine craftsmanship in precious metal..no matter who its from. I also appreciate the variety of all the different coins/medals on the market. I would take anything in my photos any day over any modern US Mint issue cluttered with politically correct designs. I dont really base my collecting on what I think other people collect as that means nothing. But the items in the pics are far from junk and were developed with huge budgets in design and tooling. The relief on those Rodin Medals took maybe 10 strikes each to achieve. They were only $299 each for a 10 ounce .999 silver medal. Perth Mint, China Mint, etc would charge over a $1000 for something like that.

9. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

sorry cu, gotta agree with spanner on this, those coins look bad, really bad. the last one looks terrible, no idea what the face is, looks like it got squashed, and the winged angel/demon thing looks like it was copied from a Doctor Who episode. Melting material in my opinion.

10. cu29640

cu29640 New Member

Those are based on the sculpture of Auguste Rodin. Super high relief.

11. DaBoz

DaBoz New Member

I just received the Australia 1/4 oz gold Jubilee coin and I think it looks better than the High relief IMHO.

Franklin Mint silver proved to be quite collectable when silver was $5. Many were melted and I know people that will pay a premium for those older sets. The Franklin mints products make the US Mint goods pale in comparison of the workmanship.

12. spannermonkey

Where are you from ,I know one Melbourne dealer who recently melted quiet a few FM sets :D

13. DaBoz

DaBoz New Member

I am in the US. If he got them at $5/oz like I did, I understand why. If he is a dealer that bought them last week $2 dollars cheaper than silver today, who cares, he would probably melt Morgans in low grade for the price.

Doesn't change the quality of the workmanship and the possible desirability in the future, say when silver is $150. I will buy their product over buying Silver rounds at a premium. They Mint for many countries monetary systems, they are not some fly by night medal stamper.

14. spannermonkey

OOH I know they are a well known mint ,just NOBODY in Aus pays a premium for anything by them
    I saw a Harley Davidson set recently & even on ebay the were going for not much over spot

15. DaBoz

DaBoz New Member

OBTW, Thank that person that melted the Franklin Mint silver for making my silver Rarer. I have one of those Harley sets. I am a Biker:D

16. spannermonkey

:lol:

17. DaBoz

DaBoz New Member

Would you rather collect silver with Harleys on them for art or Flamingos et.al, if they are just over spot.

18. spannermonkey

I'd rather buy a KG bar/coin
    I had a thing for box sets ,in Aus we have Masterpieces in Silver which sell for just over spot
    A much better buy than FM .
    Different markets

19. DaBoz

DaBoz New Member

I have One oz and 2 oz set of Masterpieces and Great Arts by the FM, got them as I told you, actually a little less than $5 each. Got them on ebay. Same place I got the 100oz Bars and a lot of other dead weight.When silver crosses $75 then I will melt them. until then they are pretty to look at and that's what I collect, Beauty on Round medal objects. Different markets, different mindset?

20. DaBoz

DaBoz New Member

I apologize for hijacking this thread. My Bad.