Gold good for SHTF??

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by thatguy, May 29, 2012.

1. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndshbH3qZ6Y[/youtube]
    That is why I buy only coins with size, weight and material written on it... no sovs or pre dec or round 50s. Even then it will be hard, gonna buy some more corned beef lol!

2. sjm

sjm New Member

$200 Gold Koala would be ideal.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To be honest, if a guy was standing outside a coin shop telling me I could buy a coin from him and take it into the shop and make a profit, I would suspect something was dodgy! If he needs to pay his phonebill why doesn't he take it into the shop? Is it stolen? He obviously doesn't know the true value of it if he is selling it for face value etc. etc.

Especially if he had a mic and a camera crew with him.

Too many prank shows on TV.

Plus if you can't sell a $50 coin for $25 you aren't much of a salesman, even if it wasn't gold!

4. Dirtbikepilot

Dirtbikepilot Active Member

I doubt I would have bought it off him either unless he agreed to get it valued before handing over the cash. I'm still not sure that I would have
    given him that much time though.

5. Reeve

Reeve Member

Yeah, as somebody " in the know" If something is to good to be true generally it is but i think the videos point is more to the fact that they had no idea of the value of gold!

6. Jislizard

Women know the price of gold, you can take that as a fact.

They also know not to trust people off the street with funny mics and camera crews.

7. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

It's pretty funny :)

I agree with the others, that the camera/interviewing technique is somewhat strange and intimidating and could have had a large factor on what people said. But still funny!

As for SHTF, people will know what gold is worth. Not everyone has to know, just the person with stuff you want to buy. Failing that, the local coin dealer can probably trade you some non-gold stuff to trade, although you'd lose in that transaction. The big fish will happily take the gold from the dealer.

I guess in a SHTF scenario, you have to ask, if not gold, silver, etc, then what? Cash? Digital credits? It's SHTF!!! Who the hell has $10K of cash in their mattress? (pls don't answer if you do). If the ATMs don't work, then what?

Okay okay, stop there, because then we talk about money printing, etc, etc, and it just makes the case for PMs even better.

8. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Risk per reward! Risk $10-25/ reward $1500, I would take that punt!

9. Jislizard

I would have asked why they were selling it for $25 instead of at the coin shop. if the answer was reasonable (I can't think of a reasonable answer myself) then I would shake my head in wonderment and take the deal.

I doubt the guy would have gone through with it though and I wonder how many people accepted the deal but were edited out for not staying "on message"

He put his point across but I am not sure if the experiment design backed him up.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Is gold good for when the SHTF?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ubJp6rmUYM[/youtube]

Yes

As for the clip in question? You'd be silly for assuming he was legit in the first instance.

That said, I assure you it's a set up. Anyone that said the right thing would have been edited out of the final clip.

It has nothing to do with the value of gold per say, but highlighting the ignorance of the sheep.

ie tell us something we don't already know?