2012 Perth 1 oz silver coloured dragon (non-proof) regular release?

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Kirk, May 25, 2012.

1. Kirk

Kirk Member

Based on recent eBay postings, looks like the Perth Mint will be releasing the 1 oz silver coloured dragon (non-proof) as a single coin ... the one that was only to be in the typeset ... and then only the special China order ... and then only the 10 coin set ... etc.

Anyone seen the release notes? any ideas on mintage? ... the 2010 tiger was 170,000

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The red one?

Not heard anything but I wouldn't be surprised to see all the coloured coins filtered out into the market in one way or another. Got to get rid of them somehow, the purple ones are being sold at the show this weekend, 8 more to go.

3. Kirk

Kirk Member

yup, the red one ... and it's going to kill the premium for those that were trying to part out the 9 and 10 coin sets ... at least for the red coins - other colors seem to be released with a premium (ie, special packaging)

4. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

My guess would be that there won't be a 1oz red dragon released locally on its own. The PM is limited to a total of 170,000 coloured bullion coins. If you count all 9 coloured in the 9 & 10 coin set plus the Chinese release of the 1oz red, I doubt they would be able to produce more.
    BUT this is the PM we are talking about so nothing would suprise me - maybe a red dragon with a wombat privy :)

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

If up to 170k of the red colorized dragons are released, then the 9 and 10 coins sets will be worth....less....

6. El Dorado

El Dorado Member

any ideas on mintage?

7. argento

argento Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A stacker made reference the other week, claiming that China only took a quarter of their 20000 set allocation...
    Hence possibly the reason for the Perth Mint releasing their 10 coin set plus anda releases.

I'm still waiting to receive confirmation on actual quantaties issued to China.

If able to confirm above.....your looking at 5000 of the 9 coin set, 2000 of the 10 coin set plus other bits and pieces.
    Looking at mintage figures less than 10000...... In my opinion, still makes the coloured dragon sets highly collectable over coming years.

Also, their are quite a few sets that people have split to get graded and sold individually.......therefore actual complete sets could be even lower.

The only reason that I have raised this point, is that I personally disagree that the mintage of the red dragon will affect the value of the 9 and 10 coin sets - just makes the other coins more valuable IMOP.

I personally believe that those who have either set - will benefit in years to come.

So I cant really see the Perth Mint waisting any more time minting un-allocated coloured dragons, especially with Snake Fever around the corner.

8. Matthew 26:14

^^^ Perhaps. But $1,000 for 10 coloured coins is obivously $100 a coin/ounce. The other problem is the amount of money per set is so high, the number of people willing to spend $1,000+ (if you want to make a profit) is very limited.

Many more people would be prepared to spend $60 a coin (which looks like what the singled coloured dragons will release for) compared to paying over $1,000 for a set.

To make it worth your while, the 10 coin set within a couple of year time horizon would need to worth $1,500. The 1oz coloured coins releasing at say $60 a coin would therefore need to be worth $90 a coin.

My bet is the probabilities are in favour of the $60 coins reaching $90 within a couple of years than a 10 coins set reaching $1,500.

9. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

the way i see this is the PM are making all this stuff and killing markets like a typeset etc... they are forcing us to buy pure bullion coins as a investor speculator it seems this is now the only way to go, the coins with the lowest premium are becoming the best bet as they (PM) get lost in their own delusional bullsh$t.

10. argento

Hi Again,

I don't understand why your giving each coin a value.
    The coins have been released as a set.....with coa and possibly a very low mintage.
    (Apart from 1or 2 coloured dragons being released for Anda).

I agree, that maybe most may not have the $$ - but that doesn't de-value the set.

Hasn't stop people paying rediculous amounts for a typeset..and thats only 4oz

Or people paying over $200 / $300 for proof or coloured tigers with coa and box and thats only 1oz.

I know you have been around the forum, a lot longer than me, and offer some great advice - but I think you have it wrong this time.

Lets see what happens.......who ever is right can buy the other a beer / wine or spirit (prefer all three - not at the same time) :)

11. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol::lol:

12. Matthew 26:14

True about some coins taking off, like the 2oz bullion Mouse, mintage of 9,000 and selling for $300+. But there are so many various coloured dragon types the Perth Mint has released, it will certainly devalue them.

Scarcity doesnt equal high price. For example you can buy the Labrador in the working dogs series, mintage just 3,000, for less than their release price. There are many coins with 3,000 and 5,000 mintages that are now way below (in some cases half or less) than their release price.

Back to the 10 and 9 coin sets, I think the high per unit cost (eg. $1,500+ if you want to make a decent return) will make these sets hard to sell and even hold their price. I've seen then go for the $800's on feebay and expect that trend to continue.

13. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

wombat bullion HR, they should make that too!

its call all Oz HR animal PROOF :lol:

14. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Square dragons color too

15. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

Well, seems I was wrong - the 1oz coloured red bullion dragons are for sale now in Europe.

http://www.silber-corner.de/de/Luna...riert?xd3e48=07dca8541f4292e4885eb7b2a7530334

I know that the Lunar II Series coloured 1oz bullion coin mintage is 170,000 total, 3,800 released in box/coa form, plus an ANDA release - that is the standard lunar release format, But for the life of me I cannot figure out how they are producing so many different coloured 1oz bullion dragon coins and keeping within their limit.
    Chinese 9 coin set - 9x20,000 = 180,000
    Oz 10 Coin set - 9x2500 = 22,500
    ANDA specials - 5?x5000 = 25,000
    Berlin Dragon - 5,000
    PLUS the red 1oz released overseas in China and now Europe
    PLUS whatever they will probably release here

If anyone can clarify the situation, I would love to know. If the non-red dragons are not counted in the offical minatage - what are they? They are listed in the Currency Determinations that I have seen as part of the series, but it seems they are not officially counted? Or maybe, if we are really lucky, it means that the can mint 170,000 of EACH colour :D

Even if the original Chinese release was sold out, how can they make 180,000 coins with a 170,000 limit?

:/ confused :/

Doh, just remembered - I have a single 1oz red bullion dragon, got one of those Chinese releases when they first came out, stunning packaging and mintage of only 50,000 - to go with the other coloureds released. And tell me again how all of these are being made with a 170,000 available to be minted?

Not saying the PM being sneaky, but I would like to know where these coloured coins fit into the lunar landscape.

EDIT: Heres a thought: All the Chinese releases of dragons are not part of the official lunar series?. If they have been produced as a special order, then I could guess that as such they would not be counted in the official PM lunar figures? Would make the numbers add up better. Just a thought :)

16. Matthew 26:14

Not a bad price, $A40 a coin give or take. I'll be getting a few. I dont remember there being any guaranteed mintage limits except for the bullion 1oz (300k) and bullion 10kg (1k).

In past years these 1oz colored coins had been limited to a 170k mintage but I dont see any legal requirement (as there is for the 1oz and 10kg) for these colored coins to be limited and even more so to 170k.

17. Matthew 26:14

I see bullionbourse have the 10 coin set now for $900 which is 10% lower than the original retail price of $990.

18. argento

Matthew Matthew Matthew....

Comparing Lunars with Labradors - how could you :)

If you want to go down that road - lets talk about a little redback spider fetching $1K +

Lets see what happens in near future.......remember beer - wine - spirit :)

Also quoting Bullion Bourse selling his 10 coin set 10% below retail.......most members on this sight got the set for $890...but that doesnt mean the set want go up in price.

Hes also selling the origional 9 coin set for $1100.....

Back to the main topic.....sorry guys

The Perth Mint have not given a set mintage figure on individual coloured dragons -

Mintage figures released are based on particular releases - its all in the wording (eg 2500 for the 10 coin set - yes there will only be 2500 10 coin sets, but that doesnt mean they cant release the same coins in a 5 coin set........and so on) - I think you know were Im coming from.

The Perth Mint have worded it very carefully ........Hey Matthew...I think we finally agree on something :)

This is one of the great aspects of this sight......most of us may have different points of views....but we still have a common interest