World Mints and Purchasing

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by td31, May 22, 2012.

1. td31

td31 New Member

I'm still pretty new to coin collecting and was wondering about how to purchase from different mints. Where I'm at in the world no one collects or is interested in anything other than US coins. Is there a list anywhere with the webpages and how to purchase from them? Any help would be appreciated :)

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

3. footycard

footycard New Member

heh, I kinda agree, wish america was just a long train trip away.

i'm knee deep in that gainsville site right now, it's pretty good, if your wanting new zealand mint stuff then they certainly have good prices compared to direct from the mint.

it's been fun looking there, lots of good things

4. td31

td31 New Member

ya im waiting for the great white shark coin and dont want to miss that

5. ironwood

ironwood Active Member Silver Stacker

Your best bet on that coin may be to go through Maggie when they become available.

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I would hardly say talisman is one of the 3 biggest companies, maybe provident could be on the list they are growing quite a bit .

7. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Apart from overlooking Matthew 26:14 public assumption, what do you suppose are the top 3 biggest then?

8. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I put Talisman in that list because they have a large range of numismatic precious metal coins and the original question did ask about "coins and coin collecting".

If bullion and a relatively small range of bullion coins are on your agenda then www.tulving.com is also very price competitive.

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

You can make a reserve with maggie. I think in the great shark maggie have the half of the minted quantity reserved.
    ;-)

10. CDNstacker

CDNstacker New Member

I have been mainly buying Maples as thats what most shops here carry. I really prefer the ASE though. And without ordering online its next to impossible to get. I tried online and was ordering a roll of ASE and right at the last moment they wanted another 20 for the Credit or paypal fees on top of the 20 for shipping. Unless your buying ten rolls its just not cost effective for me to get them. :( I will find a way to capture those birds though.

11. td31

td31 New Member

that stinks. that is pretty much all what shops around here have.

will check with maggie - thanks everyone

12. Cimexus

Cimexus Member

I've bought from APMEX while over in the US and they were good - fast delivery and decent prices if you use wire or cheque payment (i.e. avoid credit card/Paypal). They carry a really wide range of stuff - hell, they carry a wider range of Australian stuff than most Australian dealers. Goes to show you what economies of scale can do (i.e. the size of the bullion/coin-collecting market in the US is way bigger than elsewhere).

Other than that, there's plenty of friendly people on this forum who will sell to you privately at good prices. Postage costs can be a bitch though. :(

Also I agree that a mix of coins is nice ... adds some interest to the stack. While most of my stack is Australian stuff (due to semi-numismatic premiums, since kooks and lunars are limited mintage unlike most other world bullion coins), I do have a couple rolls of ASEs, Maples, Brittanias etc. sitting around the place too. ASEs are a great looking coin IMO ... better than most other (some years of the Australian coins are plain fugly) - it's just that the design never changes so once you have a few, you don't really feel that interested in them anymore.

13. td31

td31 New Member

ya apmex is ok but shipping is a tad high. ya i started with ASEs since that was what was around here but got a little bored. i mean the special ASE is a reverse proof. Reverse proof is everywhere it seems outside the USA. Im trying to get a nice mix. im not really into gathering bullion. just want to collect shiny and nice looking items

14. silverassasin

silverassasin New Member

when you order from these big sites are there any other fees besides the shipping and the insurance .....like tax or anything?

15. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Country taxs. In argentina i pay 20/25 % tax. In others countrys is diferent

16. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Go to the panda forum. We begin with bullion (ases and Maples) and now im lunar (australian) and panda (chinese) addict